Should you work and have vacation at the same time ?

He's not a plant manager. He designs and builds automation systems that do specialty production in factories across the country. He works at a small robotics firm that does very specialized work in a particular type of production, and he is the only one at the company who is an expert this particular type of robotic fabrication. Minor machine problems I'm sure a technician in a factory can handle. Major problems mean they go to him for help.

And no - I'm not saying anyone else is selfish for what they ask their spouse to do on vacation. But I am saying it would be selfish for ME to insist that my husband not work on vacation. The last vacation we went on he was able to fix a programming issue remotely while we were at a resort in Jamaica. Had he not done it, that line would have shut down for a full week, a bunch of hourly workers wouldn't have made their salary that week, and a specialized type of medical supply (that some people need to live) would have had a shortage for a couple of weeks until the production line got caught up. I can't imagine asking him not to do that.

I don't doubt that he is the expert on a given skill. But if he is truly the only one that can address major problems, then the company needs to do an enormous amount of additional training for their other employees, or hire another person. The "win the lottery" scenario is real, and any successful company needs to be prepared for it.

I'm retired but I was a consultant, partner, owner with an international benefit and consulting firm for 30 years. I always thought that I was only one that could meet my clients needs. I was always checking email, getting faxes, reading copy, etc. and never really got unplugGED. I worried constantly about billable hours. then two things happened that prepared me for retirement. One I got pneumonia and was very sick for three weeks. I really couldn't wrk. I didn't miss a thing. Then the following year I had neck surgery and was off for six weeks. Again, never missed a thing. When I got back to the office, all was well. Two years later I had the chance to retire at 55 with all my stock options. I didn't hesitate. I've been retired almost 12 years and I can't even remember very much about the old days. I work with nonprofits, I walk the dogs, I help out with my husband's law practice when he needs it, we travel, I'm active with kids and grandkids...life is fabulous. Everyone I know who is retired always says...I can't believe I found time to work. I know I'm blessed to get this opportunity. Just try to remember...moments with the family and kids are fleeting. And we all know when we reach old age and look back on our lives, we won't be saying..I wish I had worked more. Good luck.

I don't doubt that he is the expert on a given skill. But if he is truly the only one that can address major problems, then the company needs to do an enormous amount of additional training for their other employees, or hire another person. The "win the lottery" scenario is real, and any successful company needs to be prepared for it.

This bears repeating. Your company calls it the "win the lottery" scenario, another poster called it the "get hit by a bus" scenario. Good or bad, things happen, and companies need to be able to continue functioning in the absence of individuals. everyone is (and should be) replaceable. I think some people like feeling like they're the one important cog in a finely oiled machine.

Now, my Dh has to work some crazy hours--he's a nuclear engineer, and they have a plant shutdown every spring. During the shutdown period, it's fairly common for him to get calls on his down time, even with the crazy 12-hour shifts. This past shutdown, he had to go in on 4 of his precious days off to support plant-limiting procedures. But, it's only for that one month, as a rule. And he gets paid overtime, which is unusual in the engineering world.

I respect your opinion, but I sincerely hope you're not calling me selfish because I want my spouse to focus on our children/family for a few days out of an entire year?

What my husband does is important, but I think it's insane (and unhealthy) to be "on call" 24/7/365. Everyone needs to be able to unplug occasionally. If your husbands roll is so critical, why is there not someone else who can fill in for him? What would happen if he quit his job or (heaven forbid) he was injured/sick and unable to work?

My step-dad nearly worked himself to death for a company that could not have cared less if he lived or died. He was diagnosed with cancer two years ago.The company was horrible to him through his treatments. After 20+ years of skipped vacations, working 18 hour days and sacrificing his health and well-being for the sake of his job, all he has to show for it is some money in the bank, poor health and a lousy relationship with all of his kids.

I think there's a great deal of value in a work/life balance. Maybe your definition of balance is different than mine, but I certainly don't think that makes me selfish.

I think that there is a vast difference between totally cutting yourself off for a vacation and totally refusing to disconnect completely. WE are all different and we all have different definitions of stress free. For my son, to be away from his work for a week or two would be horrific. His balance may not be yours.

For years my husband raised animals. We never could completely disconnect. No matter the plan, we were ultimately responsible if they got out...we got the call. I believe that your experiences as a child may reflect how you regard family vacations now, but I would say that for many, their healthy balance is somewhere between what your step-dad did and what you might consider to be ideal.

I'm VP of marketing for a health system. I work on vacation as needed. I check emails regularly and respond. And if there's an issue that needs my attention, I do more. When we were at Disney in March, I took a call from my CEO while I was spinning in a tea cup. I knew he wouldn't call unless it was important -- and it was. A mentor once told me an executive role isn't a job -- it's a way of life. And I find that to be very true. I am well compensated for the work I do, and I'm expected to be available when my company needs me -- whenever or wherever that may be. I love the work I do and couldn't be happier.

I must say that I think it is an issue of priorities, and how "replaceable" you are temporarily. I think it's important to do ALL ONE CAN to carve out work-free time -- I think we owe it to our families when on vacation. IF something comes up that work MUST intrude, I believe in doing all possible to LIMIT that time.

I think some fancy themselves irreplaceable -- it's seldom true. ;)

We've had some vacations where DH or I had to block off some work time in a 10+ day vacation. But we've always spent a lot of time on the front end preparing others for the fact that we are ONLY reachable in EXTREME circumstances.

I am a busy consultant and one thing that always bothers me is what will happen to my work when I go on a vacation. Plus with cutting edge technologies you lag behind your competitors in case you are not working hard enough. Now I want to go on a vacation where in I can work too. But my family doesn't like the idea and I think they are probably right. But then its a Catch - 22 for me. Does any one have experience with this ?

My DH often works on vacation, taking phone calls or responding to emails. He does t think it matters if he is dealing with work while we are in line etc but it does bother me, he isn't present helping entertain the 3 kids in the line etc.
However I do understand that a) it's DHs work that pays for us Togo on vacation b) that the reason DH earns as much as he does is because of how hard he works and c) that no one is doing his job while he is away it just piles up and it is more stressful on him to leave it and have to come back with it than to work through the vacation.
I have asked him to have some time each day where the phone is off so he has a chance to truely unwind.

I am a busy consultant and one thing that always bothers me is what will happen to my work when I go on a vacation. Plus with cutting edge technologies you lag behind your competitors in case you are not working hard enough. Now I want to go on a vacation where in I can work too. But my family doesn't like the idea and I think they are probably right. But then its a Catch - 22 for me. Does any one have experience with this ?

My husband always works while we are on vacation. He owns his own consulting company, and if he isn't answering texts, phone calls and fixing stuff, it doesn't get done. We don't mind, because we know that the bills get paid by him doing that, and if he couldn't do that, we wouldn't be on vacation at all. Most of the time he gets up early in the morning and works for a few hours while we are sleeping (which works nicely because many of the clients are in Europe).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter