Should I buy lanyards for my kids pre-cruise?

VeronicaZS

DIS Veteran
We are going on our first cruise this November, based on research I don't think we will receive lanyards until after the trip? Also, kids get a magic band like wristband that functions as the KTTW or no? They will be 10 and 8 and don't pin trade but I would like them to have some limited ability to be independent and it seems like the best way for them to keep track of their KTTW would be on a lanyard. Any advice or recommendations on specific lanyards?
Thanks!

We are going on our first cruise this November, based on research I don't think we will receive lanyards until after the trip? Also, kids get a magic band like wristband that functions as the KTTW or no? They will be 10 and 8 and don't pin trade but I would like them to have some limited ability to be independent and it seems like the best way for them to keep track of their KTTW would be on a lanyard. Any advice or recommendations on specific lanyards?
Thanks!

You are correct, first-time cruisers are not given lanyards. The wristband is only for accessing the kid's clubs. A number of kids do wear lanyards. If you anticipating your children needing their KTTW when you are not with them, a lanyard is useful. Cute ones, even Disney themed, are available a wide variety of places. "Disney lanyard" on Amazon gets 2000 hits.

Thanks!

Returning cruisers are given lanyards so you will get lanyards on embarkation day of your second cruise. Kids registered for the Oceaneers Club/Lab get a magic band that is used for check in/out of the club, but it does not function for anything other than the club. We like keeping our cards on lanyards because a lot of our clothes, especially DD's, don't have pockets. It sounds like you should pick up lanyards for your kids prior to the cruise.

Any basic lanyard is fine, but what you will need is the badge holder for the lanyard. Try to get one with a ziploc closure.

I went to GameStop/EB Games and bought lanyards for my kids before our first trip. That was useful, as they were independent enough to be carrying their own keys and going off to do their own things. If you think they'll be carrying phones everywhere, your other option would be to get one of those cases that also holds a key card.

We’ve never cruised before either.....is there a reason your kids would need to carry their own KTTW cards on them? I have DD9 and DS6 and we don’t usually give them room keys when we stay at hotels. Would they use them for something other than a room key?

You will see a lot of lanyards on ship but my family never uses them. My older kids usually tuck their room key into their phone case

Most kids do not wear the lanyards around their neck, instead the KTTW card is in their pocket, with the lanyard hanging out. It's a style thing. I tried to get my kid to wear it around his neck, but the cool kids didn't, so I lost that one.

We’ve never cruised before either.....is there a reason your kids would need to carry their own KTTW cards on them? I have DD9 and DS6 and we don’t usually give them room keys when we stay at hotels. Would they use them for something other than a room key?
If you give them charging privileges, they can use their KTTW card to make purchases on board such as popcorn, specialty drinks (smoothies), treats in the ice cream shop (Fantasy and Dream), and souvenirs in the shops. @StarSeven7

Most kids do not wear the lanyards around their neck, instead the KTTW card is in their pocket, with the lanyard hanging out. It's a style thing. I tried to get my kid to wear it around his neck, but the cool kids didn't, so I lost that one.

Yep... my boys loop the lanyard around a belt loop, pull the KTTW card through the loop, tighten it up and and then stick the card in their pocket with the lanyard hanging out/down. Sort of like a watch chain but not quite. :) Not sure I've ever seen a kid wearing one around their neck.

If you give them charging privileges, they can use their KTTW card to make purchases on board such as popcorn, specialty drinks (smoothies), treats in the ice cream shop (Fantasy and Dream), and souvenirs in the shops. @StarSeven7
Thanks! Definitely won’t be giving them charging privileges so I guess I won’t worry about lanyards! Lol!

My kids both had charging privileges. My one son bought popcorn one night, but I had to practically beg them to buy something for themselves. They were just too busy in their clubs with their friends. Finally, on the last night, both went for the premium ice cream.

So just talk to your kids about limits and expectations.

My kid wears a spibelt so he puts room keys in there. We always give him charging privileges in case he is away from us with friends. He never abused them so we continue. I did buy lanyards for our upcoming cruise in case he prefers that.

At 9yo, you could give your DD self-checkout privileges from the Oceaneers Club, and in that case, you would want her to have her KTTW card with her in order to access your stateroom. But I wouldn't feel comfortable giving a 9yo self-checkout and especially not on a first cruise. My DD was 11 on our first cruise and I did allow her self-checkout when she was in the Oceaneers Club/Lab, but she also attended the Edge which doesn't restrict checkout so it made sense she would have the freedom at the Oceaneers spaces too.

DD has always been allowed charging privileges on her KTTW card, but she knows she has to check with me before buying anything more than popcorn or a smoothie.

We gave my 9 yo self-checkout privileges on our last cruise (had to be with his 11 yo brother and had been on several prior cruises) and made them both use lanyards after the older one lost his KTTW card the first day. They both had charging privileges but didn't buy anything except popcorn at the movies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter