Should I buy a Rollator?

disney-inspired

Disney on the brain 24/7/365!
I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2020 after undergoing major surgery - frustrating thing about autoimmune disorders, they just pop out of nowhere.
I'm 34 years old and with the help of medication, I seem to have it mostly under control - can't predict the flare ups.
The past two times I've gone to WDW, I have rented an ECV from gold mobility but I'm thinking to rent a rollator for my next trip.

In my day-to-day lift I can walk and do go to places without an ECV for the most part but do have a borrowed ECV I take for more physical outings. I don't last very long due to the joint pain in my feet and ankles. I like the idea of being able to walk and then sit on my rollator when I need a break, no matter where I am in the park. I also like that I can fold it up to take transportation. It's good for me to walk so I find sitting an ECV for the majority of the day causes stiffness.

I'm wondering if anyone has similar mobility issues and has used a rollator vs an ECV at the parks.
I'm looking into a 4 wheel rollator/transport chair as well.

My DS girlfriend has mobility issues and she has her own ECV and what they did was take her walker( not a rollator, just a regular walker) and used a couple bungee cords to strap it to the back of the ECV. That way she had options

Or you could use a ECV and take breaks from it. Park it and walk for a bit. Maybe walk while going to see a show like COP or Hall of Presidents. Take it while going on Soaring, that's a 10 mile hike right there.

I would not want to be in the position of being in pain and having to walk from the safari ride.

Does a cane help you any? Could that fit in the park and walk plan?

My DS girlfriend has mobility issues and she has her own ECV and what they did was take her walker( not a rollator, just a regular walker) and used a couple bungee cords to strap it to the back of the ECV. That way she had options

Thankfully, I don't have to rely on an ECV. I did a day at Disneyland (not full day but good portion) without an ECV in December and while I was tired, no serious repercussions the next day.
I want to try and decrease my reliance on the ECV, but knowing bad days can just pop up I would probably still rent one for my trip to have in case of emergency.

Or you could use a ECV and take breaks from it. Park it and walk for a bit. Maybe walk while going to see a show like COP or Hall of Presidents. Take it while going on Soaring, that's a 10 mile hike right there.

I would not want to be in the position of being in pain and having to walk from the safari ride.

Does a cane help you any? Could that fit in the park and walk plan?

My issue is that I want to take breaks from the ECV but then I'd eventually have to walk back to wherever I left it. And the specific scenario/location I have in mind is world showcase. I want to just peruse each country and not have to go back and get the ecv from wherever I parked it. Also some places are a tight fit with the ECV.

Considering I have pain daily - my normal is a 5 - I've grown accustomed to it.
Canes do not help because when I have pain, the only remedy is sitting down for a bit. Also the arthritis in my hands makes it painful to hold a cane for a long time. The rollator I looked at has really plush handles and I could rest my forearms and not use my hands 100% of the time.

I'd make the investment in purchasing your own rollator. Your RA is not going away, and while most OTs I worked with preached "energy conservation", doing some walking is good. Better to "under do it" than "over do it".
I bought one this afternoon from Amazon - but I plan to rent one whenever I go back to WDW so I don't have to worry about something happening to mine.

Yes, I have found I get more stiff, and maybe more pain, from being immobile. Excited tot ry it it out when I go to Disneyland next weekend.

I'd make the investment in purchasing your own rollator. Your RA is not going away, and while most OTs I worked with preached "energy conservation", doing some walking is good. Better to "under do it" than "over do it".
If your provider will right an order, your insurance company may pay for it, or a portion of it. While I admire your strength and resolve, I think you should take the ECV. WDW is huge with tons of walking. Save the biggest part of the walking to your resort and save yourself from pain and use the ECV for the parks. Or at least take it every other day. After 2 days of walking in the parks my overweight, but ables body hurt like crap. I can only imagine how you would hurt.

If your provider will right an order, your insurance company may pay for it, or a portion of it. While I admire your strength and resolve, I think you should take the ECV. WDW is huge with tons of walking. Save the biggest part of the walking to your resort and save yourself from pain and use the ECV for the parks. Or at least take it every other day. After 2 days of walking in the parks my overweight, but ables body hurt like crap. I can only imagine how you would hurt.
I may order it as a back up because I know I can't do it all. I would definitely go at my pace and take lots of breaks.

The cool thing about this rollator is that it can easily be switched to a transport chair (kinda like a wheel chair).

Thankfully, I don't have to rely on an ECV. I did a day at Disneyland (not full day but good portion) without an ECV in December and while I was tired, no serious repercussions the next day.
I want to try and decrease my reliance on the ECV, but knowing bad days can just pop up I would probably still rent one for my trip to have in case of emergency.

My issue is that I want to take breaks from the ECV but then I'd eventually have to walk back to wherever I left it. And the specific scenario/location I have in mind is world showcase. I want to just peruse each country and not have to go back and get the ecv from wherever I parked it. Also some places are a tight fit with the ECV.

Considering I have pain daily - my normal is a 5 - I've grown accustomed to it.
Canes do not help because when I have pain, the only remedy is sitting down for a bit. Also the arthritis in my hands makes it painful to hold a cane for a long time. The rollator I looked at has really plush handles and I could rest my forearms and not use my hands 100% of the time.
You can easily take it slow and sit down often at the parks. I do it all the time. The only time that it gets tough is when you get to the end of your stamina and you still have to walk all the way to the busses and then to your room. So knowing your limits and when to call it quits before then will be key. Depending on how long you can last, it still might be worth it to rent an EVC and park it.

I thought I'd report here how my first park day went at Disneyland with my rollator.

I arrived super early so had to wait on main street before the park officially opened. It was nice being able to sit down in the crowd while we waited.
I only stayed until about 1pm because I got tired so I can definitely see needing a ECV or to be pushed on on my rollator (also doubles as a transport chair) at Disney world.
It felt good to walk though. I really thought I'd be in a ton of pain the next day but really only had muscle soreness.

The only slight issue I faced was closing up the rollator to ride on the train at Toontown station. A little awkward but I managed to do it and to get off at Main St and walk down the stairs with it.
Overall very happy I got it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!