Should churches change security in wake of recent events?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katie01

DIS Veteran
I am heartbroken to hear of the latest tragedy in Texas, already at least 27 dead. My heart goes out to all their loved ones. I am also very angry--not just over this latest incident, but over all of them. And I know we can't get political so I can't say what I want to say, but I need to put my frustration, anger, and sadness towards doing something productive. I am not sure what that is. Can we design light weight bullet proof vests and hats for our children going off to school? If that sounds ridiculous, I don't think it's any more so than previous suggestions of arming our teachers.

What about security in churches? If you attend church, has yours done anything for added security? Any cameras, monitoring of doors, or employing security guards? Because as it stands right now, ours is a security nightmare...as in there is absolutely no prevention in place, and all the parishioners sit with their backs to the entrances.

Everyone says, "I refuse to live my life in fear", and I get it. But I also refuse to accept we have to freaking get used to living get this way, and not change a thing about how we are handling things.

I am heartbroken to hear of the latest tragedy in Texas, already at least 27 dead. My heart goes out to all their loved ones. I am also very angry--not just over this latest incident, but over all of them. And I know we can't get political so I can't say what I want to say, but I need to put my frustration, anger, and sadness towards doing something productive. I am not sure what that is. Can we design light weight bullet proof vests and hats for our children going off to school? If that sounds ridiculous, I don't think it's any more so than previous suggestions of arming our teachers.

What about security in churches? If you attend church, has yours done anything for added security? Any cameras, monitoring of doors, or employing security guards? Because as it stands right now, ours is a security nightmare...as in there is absolutely no prevention in place, and all the parishioners sit with their backs to the entrances.

Everyone says, "I refuse to live my life in fear", and I get it. But I also refuse to accept we have to freaking get used to living get this way, and not change a thing about how we are handling things.

Churches everywhere are becoming very concerned. Only thing I know is that the ushers at my church are keeping an eye out on anyone arriving that hasn't been at the service before. That's really no plan at all. Truly, other than having metal detectors in place, not sure what can be done.

The churches aren't the problem.

M.

Definitely not. That's what I'm saying, if America is unwilling to take proactive measures, then I need to take whatever reactive or proactive measures I can take for my family, you know what I mean? I don't want to start hiding my family inside the house, but it seems like the risk is increasing to go to: school, church, Wal Mart, concerts, restaurants, and so on. It makes me sick to my stomach :(

Definitely not. That's what I'm saying, if America is unwilling to take proactive measures, then I need to take whatever reactive or proactive measures I can take for my family, you know what I mean? I don't want to start hiding my family inside the house, but it seems like the risk is increasing to go to: school, church, Wal Mart, concerts, restaurants, and so on. It makes me sick To my stomach :(
You take risk no matter what you do. There is no way to safe to guard every move you make. you can't there is no way.

I was thinking of posting about this when I heard. Here's an article from a local paper:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...ooting-at-Sutherland-12333530.php?ipid=brkbar

Wow, the church only consists of about 50 members? Now over half are dead. I can't even find the words. Well I can find them, but I can't say them here.

I know there isn't going to be any perfect solution. But I just want people to try! Try something! Try anything! What we are doing or not doing isn't working

I work at a church and security is definitely always on my mind. I am often in the office by myself. And keep the office door locked, especially in the afternoon if I'm there by myself.

And I like others don't know what we can do as far as increasing security. We do have some police officers in the parish, who could potentially provide ideas and insight. In fact, one of them just gave a course to our teens on what to do if they were ever in an active shooter situation.

But as far as making it secure and completely safe, I don't know that that can ever happen.

Crazy thing is incidents can happen anywhere at anytime. Just look at all the truck terrorism attacks recently.

Last edited:
You take risk no matter what you do. There is no way to safe to guard every move you make. you can't there is no way.

Logically, I understand what you are saying. But I truly don't think there was this much gun violence when I was growing up in the 80s. Do you think things are getting better, or worse? I just don't want to accept that "well, violence is a part of life" and move on. I think we've managed to improve our world in many ways over the last thousand years, isn't there something we can do?

Wow, the church only consists of about 50 members? Now over half are dead. I can't even find the words. Well I can find them, but I can't say them here.

I know there isn't going to be any perfect solution. But I just want people to try! Try something! Try anything! What we are doing or not doing isn't working
Sometimes you can't protect against crazy.

'
What people are you talking about?

I am not sure what that is. Can we design light weight bullet proof vests and hats for our children going off to school? If that sounds ridiculous, I don't think it's any more so than previous suggestions of arming our teachers.

I've heard of lightweight flak jackets for children even decades ago. It would basically only prevent penetration with typical handgun or small rifle rounds. Even heavy body armor basically only redistributes the energy over a large area as blunt force trauma. Someone hit with something like a 9mm bullet would have it feel like being hit with a baseball bat. Medium and higher power rifle rounds would still penetrate - especially with smaller bullets at higher velocity. People who have survived have ended up with broken bones and serious injuries, but at least they're not dead.

Here's one for kids. Says about 3 lbs (very heavy for a child) and claims to be able to stop everything from 9mm to .45 ACP hollow point. However, full metal jacket ammo is more likely to penetrate. It's also $670. Looks like it's a modified jacket from The North Face with a Kevlar liner. Apparently "full wrap" (side panels) are a $170 option. Sounds like the standard version is just front and back with no sleeves or side protection.

http://www.bulletblocker.com/bulletblocker-nij-iiia-bulletproof-boys-nylon-jacket.html

Anything that would truly protect the head would need to be rigid like a combat helmet. Moderate blunt force trauma to the head is easily more likely to cause death or permanent brain injury than to the body. I've heard claims that a 3 ft unobstructed fall to the head could potentially be fatal.

Definitely not. That's what I'm saying, if America is unwilling to take proactive measures, then I need to take whatever reactive or proactive measures I can take for my family, you know what I mean? I don't want to start hiding my family inside the house, but it seems like the risk is increasing to go to: school, church, Wal Mart, concerts, restaurants, and so on. It makes me sick to my stomach :(

Don't let fear derived from these evil events reign in your heart. You don't want your children to be so afraid of all places they go. Bolster yourself fueled by your anger, with strength to soldier on. Be confident but, aware of your surroundings. :grouphug:

I don't know, I guess anyone who says "that's life, nothing we can do to change it"

Maybe they are OK with accepting that it is life.
Not sure why you think they need to change things so you feel safe. If you aren't OK with it then you do something about it.

You are free to find a church that meets your security requirements. You are even free to buy your own bullet proof vests for your family to wear.

Maybe they are OK with accepting that it is life.
Not sure why you think they need to change things so you feel safe. If you aren't OK with it then you do something about it.

Exactly. I just sent 2 of mine back to college 5 hours away 45 minutes ago. Automobile accidents are more likely than being in a mass tragedy.

These are what I worry about. But if I were to worry every time I knew they were in a car, I would be a wreck (no pun intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter