Shorts?

Our last cruise, I saw a woman in a very short, very tight and very low cut sequin dress that looked a size too small accompanied by extremely high heels. I didn't think that was appropriate.

Dressy/formal/appropriate is subjective.

I am probably in the minority, but I wish DCL would 'encourage' the rules more forcefully, especially on formal night. I love to see the ladies in formal gowns and the men in their dinner suits and bow ties. Makes for a real sense of occasion!!!
I guess it is the Brit in me!!!!:thumbsup2

I'm right there with you! Hubby and I dress up every night, even when it's not "formal night". It's part of the experience for us! It makes for better pictures, and gives me an excuse to wear my dressy clothes.

Of course, we dress in full pirate regalia on pirate night too. :cheer2:

First timer about to go on three night here....

We have matching pirate mickey tshirts for pirate night. Can we wear them to dining room?

Haven't you seen the Calling all Pirates, Give us your ARHHH thread? We are collecting pirate outfits photos. We weren't go to Remy or Palo *with only 3 nights and no extra budget and first DCL to experience the MDRs* so we wore full pirate regalia to Enchanted Garden that night. You will fit in. All the CMs (Garden wait staff the exception) were wearing their pirate wear too.

You will see a lot of people wearing shorts in the MDRs.
It is what it is:confused3
You can go ahead and have a good time anyway or not:confused3
I choose to have a good time regardless of what others are wearing:cool1:

I swear the dress code thing just brings out some people's inner 8 year old--"I'm not gonna and you can't make me!"

We sat with this couple on one cruise and every night the guy wore khakis and a nice shirt EXCEPT formal night. That day he came in wearing jeans and a t-shirt and the very next night he was right back to khakis and a polo. OK, buddy. You showed them. :confused3

I understand why people don't want to do the whole suit & ballgown thing, but is bringing along one pair of slacks really that much to ask? Are your shins afraid of the dark or something?

Are your shins afraid of the dark or something?

o/t
Hah....thank you pealieq....you just gave me a joke to say to my DD14 who won't wear shorts when its 98 degrees out. Except I'll adapt it. Are your shins vampires, afraid of the sun?

I was just reviewing the official disney ebrochure on their website, and I find it interesting that there are two separate clips of the MDRs (Animators and Enchanted Gardens) where folks are wearing shorts and in one I noticed flip flops. Their own marketing materials don't seem to support the requested attire.

I guess my question is if Disney is fine with it and the reality on board is that shorts are regularly worn, why does it bother some people so much? No flaming intended, I am just honestly curious if it diminishes some people's dinner experience to see others not dressed the same way you are dressed?

I was just reviewing the official disney ebrochure on their website, and I find it interesting that there are two separate clips of the MDRs (Animators and Enchanted Gardens) where folks are wearing shorts and in one I noticed flip flops. Their own marketing materials don't seem to support the requested attire.

Shorts and flip flops in the MDRs are likely to be seen at breakfast...

I am probably in the minority, but I wish DCL would 'encourage' the rules more forcefully, especially on formal night. I love to see the ladies in formal gowns and the men in their dinner suits and bow ties. Makes for a real sense of occasion!!!
I guess it is the Brit in me!!!!:thumbsup2

I agree with you! I was disappointed in how many people wore shorts to dinner and did not dress up for formal night. I like the idea of dressing up for dinner. If I can do it with 4 kids in tow, everyone can. :goodvibes

I guess my question is if Disney is fine with it and the reality on board is that shorts are regularly worn, why does it bother some people so much? No flaming intended, I am just honestly curious if it diminishes some people's dinner experience to see others not dressed the same way you are dressed?

My guess would be that the ebrochure you watched featuring the MDRs was probably showing breakfast and lunch since shorts are fine for both.

I wouldn't say that Disney is fine with it since they plainly state on their website and cruise docs, that the dress code is no shorts, tank tops or swimsuits for dinner. I personally do not care what others wear, it does not affect my vacation, but since DCL requests that I not wear shorts to dinner, I don't wear them. It is not a hardship for myself or DH to change from shorts to khakis for him or from shorts to a dress/skirt for myself. I don't go out and buy new clothes (well I do but that is simply because I want to and can) for our cruise in order to follow the rules and I wouldn't expect anyone else too. My DH will not be wearing a suit to Palo because he doesn't wear one in everyday life but he will wear slacks, shirt and tie because it's appropriate. :)

I'm probably in the minority but we try to dress up every night for dinner. This last cruise was the first time I gave the ok for the boys to wear jeans on our first night but that's not the norm and they are nice jeans (ie tucked in shirt, belt, dress shoes, etc) and I wore a dress. I only did it because MIL and FIL were with us and they packed no dress clothes :rolleyes1

Anyway, I've never felt "out of placed" dressed up...granted, we don't wear ball gowns and tuxes but still, I always see a little bit of everything on the cruise. My MIL decided to wear capris, tennis shoes, etc to dinner most nights and I thought she looked out of place but that's just me.

This is us on our "optional formal night" (short cruise). Our dinner attire is a big part of our cruising experience....we are weird :rotfl:

551436_10200971131501605_1840592652_n.jpg

I'm probably in the minority but we try to dress up every night for dinner. This last cruise was the first time I gave the ok for the boys to wear jeans on our first night but that's not the norm and they are nice jeans (ie tucked in shirt, belt, dress shoes, etc) and I wore a dress. I only did it because MIL and FIL were with us and they packed no dress clothes :rolleyes1

Anyway, I've never felt "out of placed" dressed up...granted, we don't wear ball gowns and tuxes but still, I always see a little bit of everything on the cruise. My MIL decided to wear capris, tennis shoes, etc to dinner most nights and I thought she looked out of place but that's just me.

This is us on our "optional formal night" (short cruise). Our dinner attire is a bit part of our cruising experience....we are weird :rotfl:

Great looking family. :thumbsup2

I agree. When we go to WDW we do not pack long pants at all. We've eaten at just about every sit-down restaurant in all 4 parks and at places in Downtown Disney and shorts are very common. Some of the restaurants in EPCOT are quite pricey too, like $$$$ , and yet many (if not most) people are in shorts.

Frankly, once you are seated at the table, what difference does it make if you are barefoot and naked from the waist down?! j/k

Frankly, once you are seated at the table, what difference does it make if you are barefoot and naked from the waist down?! j/k

Made me laugh and thought maybe they should install plastic seat covers :) hahahaha :) :) :)

This is us on our "optional formal night" (short cruise). Our dinner attire is a big part of our cruising experience....we are weird :rotfl:

Aww!!! Such a cute pic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter