Shady wait / alternate wait?

tjmw2727

DIS Veteran
Hi All

Many years ago my sister who has a health issue and can't control her body temp was issued a card for a "shady wait". Back then she was given a return time / or sent via FP entrance just for attractions that had waits in the sun for prolonged length of time but she always waited the full line for attractions that were not in full sun.

Once she/we figured out the FP system and more queues started being in the shade she hasn't had a need for the card in at least 6/7 years. She would FP the attractions with outside lines, wait until after dark or skip them if my niece had someone else to take her.

Now that many attractions are "spilling over" into outside lines and there is no FP she isn't sure what will happen when she takes her dd in a few weeks. Would the new version of the assistance pass help her alleviate just he outside portion of the line? Not sure if its all or nothing and she doesn't mind waiting - if its "shady".

Alternately is there a list of attractions that often have an outside wait to allow for social distancing? This way maybe we can come up with a plan to ride those early or late.

TIA

You can ask for DAS, and what you will have to be able to do is explain why she can't wait in the regular line. No one here can tell you whether or not you'll get the DAS. If you do, you'll go to the ride entrance to get a return time, and then go back through the FP line. They are using the FP line for the DAS. DAS is "all or nothing" in the sense that you either use it for a particular ride or you don't. It's not like it will allow you to "jump" to the inside portion of a line and only avoid the outside/sunny parts. But just because she has it doesn't mean she has to use it, so if it's a shady wait, she can do the regular line like anyone else. That being said, if you think you can accomplish the same thing by just adjusting the wait times to early or late, that might be your best bet, and should be your alternate plan, if you are not given the DAS.

That's just what I've learned from hanging around this board all the time, but someone with actual/practical experience might be able to give you a better answer.

I would go to GR. And ask for the DAS pass like the pp said your need to explain your ( her) need as to waiting outside the lines

Just be aware you are on your own to find a shady place to wait. With the current situation that may be harder than usual; there is limited capacity in stores (with waits to enter) and mobile order may be required to enter a QS location.

I’m not sure from your post if she used DAS since it started in 2013 or just the old GAC. The first post of this thread explains DAS in it’s present form.

The card she used on a past trip was part of the Guest Assistance Card (GAC) and was discontinued in 2013.
GAC had multiple stamps meant to send meet different needs, including the stamp she had. It was a very unwieldy system and was confusing for CMs and guests (especially as some cards had contradictory stamps). It eventually morphed into many with GAC going directly to the Fastpass entrance. That was not sustainable since it added so many people into the Fastpass line.

The current system is called Disability Access System (DAS). The accommodation is being able to wait outside of the regular line. Where the guest waits is up to them.
To request DAS, she would go to Guest Relations in one of the Theme Parks and explain how her issues related to disability prevent her from waiting in line. They don’t need or want to know the disability, just how it affects her waiting in line.
When DAS is issued, the CM will take her picture and link DAS to her Magicband or park ticket. She would need to have park tickets/Magicbands of the rest of her group so they can also be linked.
Guests using DAS get a Return Time from a CM at the attraction they want to go on (there may also be a CM at a blue umbrella or wearing a ‘Guest Experience’ uniform who can give a Return Time).
The Return Time is approximately the amount of time she would be waiting in the regular line, minus 10 minutes. When the Return Time comes, the group checks in with the CM at the attraction and enters the Fastpass or other entrance directed by CM.

Strange, I thought I had already posted on this thread? Is it sunlight exposure or body temperature that's the issue?

Strange, I thought I had already posted on this thread? Is it sunlight exposure or body temperature that's the issue?

Its body temp - fwiw she lives in Florida and does well managing herself, so much so that very few people know she has this issue.

Planning ahead is key for her and she does know what to expect during a Disney trip I am just trying to figure out the new unknowns so she can prepare for those as much as possible.

Also consider if not going during the middle of Florida summer would be helpful for your sister.

Sometimes, we don't get to choose when we can go... we have to let the calendar (or other's schedules) dictate the dates of our travel...

But yes, if possible, traveling in January would be *much* preferable due to overall lower UV exposure, and probably far more comfortable for the OP's sister.

Also consider if not going during the middle of Florida summer would be helpful for your sister.

Well, as I mentioned above we are not going in the middle of Florida summer, we also don't have a choice as to travel time as this is a three family trip for 3 of my nieces graduations and since she actually lives in FL she is quite used to the summer.

Thanks to the suggestions here I think we have a clear plan and if at all possible she will avoid asking for a DAS if she can manage the necessary outside lines without!

Well, as I mentioned above we are not going in the middle of Florida summer, we also don't have a choice as to travel time as this is a three family trip for 3 of my nieces graduations and since she actually lives in FL she is quite used to the summer.

Thanks to the suggestions here I think we have a clear plan and if at all possible she will avoid asking for a DAS if she can manage the necessary outside lines without!

If you can, please let us know how your trip goes, and what strategies worked best for her! It might be very helpful for others in the future who have issues similar to hers 🙂

I think it would be a good idea to plan around early mornings and late nights, and to bring double the amount of cooling towels and other things she uses to regulate her body temperature. She'll need them whether she uses the DAS or not, as she might not be able to find a shady/cool place to wait nearby and might have to walk a long distance to get to one.

I think it would be a good idea to plan around early mornings and late nights, and to bring double the amount of cooling towels and other things she uses to regulate her body temperature. She'll need them whether she uses the DAS or not, as she might not be able to find a shady/cool place to wait nearby and might have to walk a long distance to get to one.

That is definitely part of our plan, fans, towels, hat and umbrella and mid day breaks!

It helps that she is in very good shape/health otherwise, lives in FL and knows how to dress for hot weather and that most of the time she can feel it coming on and take appropriate action.

Her goal isn't to ride everything but she does want to spend as much time as possible with the entire party as we celebrate the graduates, including her daughter.

I would stagger the rides also. Go on an inside, air conditioned ride, then one outside ride. Then go back into the cool air. Staying out in the heat for any length of time is miserable.

As promised I am back with an update and we had a Great trip! Sis did qualify for the DAS and as pp's said it was all or nothing so on rides where she found most of the line in the sun she used the pass.

This along with cooling neck towels, an umbrella and frequent breaks and we were able to do everything we hoped with the "kids".

Mobile order was also a great help as we could reserve a time and order ahead alleviating the wait for food and tables - we never had a problem finding a time within an hour or so and always found an inside or a shady table after pickup of food.

We found shady spots to rest in each park while the "kids" did something we could pass on, for example the tables by Mim & Bills (closed) at HS were a lifesaver as we did 2 days at HS in order to slowly enjoy as they had never seen toy story land or Star Wars.

Thanks again for the advice!

Last edited:
As promised I am back with an update and we had a Great trip! Sis did qualify for the DAS and as pp's said it was all or nothing so on rides where she found most of the line in the sun she used the pass.

This along with cooling neck towels, an umbrella and frequent breaks and we were able to do everything we hoped with the "kids".

Mobile order was also a great help as we could reserve a time and order ahead alleviating the wait for food and tables - we never had a problem finding a time within an hour or so and always found an inside or a shady table after pickup of food.

We found shady spots to rest in each park while the "kids" did something we could pass on, for example the tables by Mim & Bills (closed) at HS were a lifesaver as we did 2 days at HS in order to slowly enjoy as they had never seen toy story land or Star Wars.

Thank you for taking the time to update us on your trip! This is more helpful than you know for some of us!

Yay! Great strategies - and like @Dispro1, I'm so glad you came back and shared them with us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter