Seriously nervous

gilby

DIS Veteran
We have an offer coming in tonight on our house. Thanks for all the tips everyone gave us on selling our house. I buried St. Joseph about a week ago and an offer is coming through for more money than we were asking.

Good luck!

We buried St. Joe last year when we were trying to sell. We sold within a month of burying him. I know how nerve-wracking it all is! :hug:

It's a superstition that if you bury a St. Joseph statue on your property somewhere, he will help you sell your house...

Joseph was Mary's husband.

DH's family is Catholic, and we still ask them to put a statue of Mary in the window when we need good weather. :)

Good luck.
I had to get my parent's house ready for market 4 years ago. It really was a challenge. Did the minimal (paint, declutter, new bathroom) and of course got St. Joseph in the ground. First open house went well and offers came in. Took less than one month to get final offer that we accepted and closed in the 60 days. I truly believe. We're not catholic but DM read the prayer whenever someone came to view (she was housebound invalid so the realtor's knew she had to stay in house when anyone looked.

Good Luck!

We also buried a St. Joseph statue in our yard when we were selling our house 5 1/2 years ago. We got an offer less than a month after burying it.

The superstition also says that after the house sells you are supposed to dig up the St. Joseph statue before you leave and then set it out in your new residence as a sign of thanks and respect. My St. Joseph statue is in my new family room. :)

I buried St. Joseph when I was trying to sell my last house, and went back for it before I moved.

I couldn't find it! It's probably still in the front lawn somewhere......:scared1:

Good luck!

Buying/selling a house is the most emotional and difficult thing that I've gone through that didn't involve a person.

Don't wish the feeling on anyone, but can't really get around it.

I am not Catholic, but I read the prayer at the time they were coming to look at the house at 9:40, odd time. We excepted the offer and waiting on the home inspections. WE will have 30 days to move, so a lot of work to do in a short period of time.

My mom swears by St. Joseph. My parents were selling a house and needed to get it gone fast as they were being relocated. She went out and bought the statue and didn't even get a chance to bury it before the house sold.

Congratulations on your sale!

But what am I doing wrong? I buried St. Joseph two months ago. I have always had strong faith and a true believer in higher powers. I've been saying the prayer daily. While there has been some interest, no official offers.:sad1:

Good luck wishes to the OP.

My house has been on the market since September - lots of traffic but no serious offers. (I think the taxes are scaring them off - almost $13K:scared1:)

My Catholic Supply Store was out of St. Joseph statues - they'll call me when they get them in. I need all the help I can get :worship:

-- Laura

We're still reeling from the lowball offer that we were given a few weeks ago.

The potential buyers, (real estate agents) submitted a lengthy offer, explaining how much they loved our house and could picture themselves being very happy to raise their family in it.

They then proceeded to criticize the fact that we only have one fireplace, and no poured concrete patio on the lower level. (We have a deck off of the main floor). They compared our home to a lesser home on the street, built by the same builder, but a different model), and based their low offer on that. Their offer came in at 15% less than our asking price.
On top of the low offer, they wanted us to throw in $70,000 worth of lawn equipment, TV's, and furniture. They claimed this was a "noncontingent offer." It turned out that they had sold their townhome, (but hadn't closed yet), and because the woman is seven months along in her pregnancy, they stipulated that we would have to close in three weeks, contingent on their sale of their townhome going through. That's a contingent offer in my book!

In the event that their deal went through, (never mind the fact that all of our stuff would be on a moving van!), they wanted a full refund of their earnest money. :scared1:

I hope your deal goes much more smoothly! We refused their offer and didn't even counter. We were too freaked out by the idea of moving everything out in three weeks! They had already annoyed us anyway, because when they came through the second time, their toddler broke a bird figurine, (not expensive, thank God), and somehow made a fist-sized dent in one of the walls of the finished basement.

Well, I'm not Catholic but I think I need to get me one of those St. Joseph figurines. Our house has been on the market for about a month now. No offers yet we have another showing in about an 1/2 hour.

We don't need to move, but we would like to get into something newer and bigger since the prices are so low right now. My DH said he won't even look at new houses until ours is sold. I however, don't listen and go looking and of course I found the perfect house but can't buy it until ours sells.

So, I'm thinking have a St. Joseph can't hurt anything. Now I have to try and find one....

DH still hasn't buried St. Joseph!! He's put him in our window. Our house has been for sale since February. i'm going to make him bury him tonight.

congrats!

I am not Catholic, but I read the prayer at the time they were coming to look at the house at 9:40, odd time. We excepted the offer and waiting on the home inspections. WE will have 30 days to move, so a lot of work to do in a short period of time.

What prayer? Please answer quickly my mother is getting desperate. Thanks much.

I read two prayers. This one:

PRAYER TO SAINT JOSEPH FOR SELLING A HOUSE

O, Saint Joseph,
you who taught our Lord
the carpenter's trade,
and saw to it
that he was always properly housed,
hear my earnest plea.

I want you to help me now
as you helped your foster-child Jesus,
and as you have helped many others
in the matter of housing.

I wish to sell this [house/property]
quickly, easily, and profitably
and I implore you to grant my wish
by bringing me a good buyer,
one who is eager, compliant, and honest,
and by letting nothing impede the
rapid conclusion of the sale.

Dear Saint Joseph,
I know you would do this for me
out of the goodness of your heart
and in your own good time,
but my need is very great now
and so I must make you hurry
on my behalf.

Saint Joseph, I am going to place you
in a difficult position
with your head in darkness
and you will suffer as our Lord suffered,
until this [house/property] is sold.

Then, Saint Joseph, i swear
before the cross and God Almighty,
that i will redeem you
and you will receive my gratitude
and a place of honour in my home.

Amen.

And this General Purpose Prayer:

Oh, Saint Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong,
so prompt before the throne of God, I place in you all my
interest and desires.

Oh, Saint Joseph, do assist me by your powerful intercession, and obtain for me from your divine Son all spiritual blessings, through Jesus Christ, our Lord, so that, having engaged here below your heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers.

Oh Saint Joseph, I never weary contemplating you, and Jesus asleep in your arms; I dare not approach while he reposes near your heart. Press Him in my name and kiss his fine head for me and ask him to return the kiss when I draw my dying breath.

Saint Joseph, Patron of departing souls, pray for me. Amen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts