September 29,2013 - DVC Member Cruise

FYI If people you know are still trying to book, even though some categories say sold out, I just booked a 10A category room on this past Monday. Give Member services a call and really see for yourself!

We have been charged $25 for Palo brunch.
We were told that the fee is for the restaurant extra expenses of the food, location, chefs, etc and that the tip is appropriate for the server just like we tip our diningroom servers for their service.

Friends who cruise DCL a LOT and eat PALO a LOT said that they think that the tipping should be like what we would tip for a dinner at a FANCY restaurant. That is hard since we don't usually eat at FANCY restaurants so do not know what that would cost -- so we guessed.

Jan

Poison ivy- loved all the pictures of the meals! This is mine and DH's first cruise - we are using this Disney trip as our (almost 4-year) delayed honeymoon. He is a TOTAL foodie. I kept showing him the photos and getting a response of "mmmm!" Ha ha. I am still a little confused about exactly how all the dining works, but I'd love to try and get to Palo or Remy.

We were told that the fee is for the restaurant extra expenses of the food, location, chefs, etc and that the tip is appropriate for the server just like we tip our diningroom servers for their service.

Friends who cruise DCL a LOT and eat PALO a LOT said that they think that the tipping should be like what we would tip for a dinner at a FANCY restaurant. That is hard since we don't usually eat at FANCY restaurants so do not know what that would cost -- so we guessed.

Jan

According to the Disney Cruise Line web site, the gratuity is included in the fee for Palo. That said, the service has always been so outstanding that we add extra.

According to the Disney Cruise Line web site, the gratuity is included in the fee for Palo. That said, the service has always been so outstanding that we add extra.

We were told by a CM (not a server) that our Palo server only gets $.49 out of the Palo upcharge. No way of knowing whether that is correct or not (but why would the CM lie?). We definitely added extra after being told that.

Hi all. DW and I are on this cruise. This will be our second member's cruise and our 8th DCL cruise. We are so looking forward to this cruise.

Hi all. DW and I are on this cruise. This will be our second member's cruise and our 8th DCL cruise. We are so looking forward to this cruise.

Welcome to the cruise DaveH. :welcome:

This is our first Member cruise. For cruise info and port canaveral bus charter you can click on the link in my signature.

FYI If people you know are still trying to book, even though some categories say sold out, I just booked a 10A category room on this past Monday. Give Member services a call and really see for yourself!

sugashaene,
you must have really lucked out with good timing. I just called DVC to assess current availability for this cruise and the only Categories remaining are (1)one 5A , and every level of cat 4.

What I'm not sure about is whether "sold out" means exactly that, or does it mean they've reached their sales quotas for this cruise? Hopefully it's the latter.

Poison ivy- loved all the pictures of the meals! This is mine and DH's first cruise - we are using this Disney trip as our (almost 4-year) delayed honeymoon. He is a TOTAL foodie. I kept showing him the photos and getting a response of "mmmm!" Ha ha. I am still a little confused about exactly how all the dining works, but I'd love to try and get to Palo or Remy.

Glad you are enjoying them. More to come!!

We were confused too when we first cruised. Dining is a big deal on this ship!

There are 3 restaurants you are assigned to rotate between for dinner (which also serve other complimentary meals at set times);
There is 1 buffet area(Cabanas) which serves breakfast and lunch and 1 late night buffet on pirate night (Its closed on both the 1st and last nights of the cruise and serves only a sit down meal at dinner otherwise),

There is 1 quickservice area(Cars themed) by the pool with stations open from 11am to late pm. (burgers/hotdogs/paninis/pizza/fries/chicken fingers/wraps/sandwiches/fruit/cookies/chips)
There are 24 hr drinkstations with water/soft drinks/ juice and coffee
There is 24 hr. room service until the last night of your cruise. (most items are free - sodas/alcohol/candy arent')
There are also complimentary bbq lunches provided on Castaway Cay.

All of this is included in your price.

**Plus** there are 2 specialty restaurants for guests 18 and older - Palo (Italian themed) and Remy (French Inspired). Both require advance reservations and
charge an additional "upcharge" fee to dine.

Palo and Remy serve dinner nightly and brunch on At Sea days. They are not open any other time. Guests are limited to one of each meal per restaurant but I don't think they enforce this rule.

So on a 4-nt cruise you can't possibly have dinner at all 5 restaurants and sample all the food in between!!!!

On our 4-nt dream in 2011 we managed only one specialty dinner - Remy and dined in each of the 3 main rotational restaurants on the other nights. We also did the Palo brunch that trip. I thought it was a ton of food!!!! (I still do!!)

Jan

Jan, I just rechecked my bill and we were only charged 20/pp for both Palo dinner and brunch.

I would equate Palo with a signature restaurant at WDW and Remy way above that as a 5 -star restaurant. I'll post a "dinner" photo report on both for everyone to review.

sugashaene,
you must have really lucked out with good timing. I just called DVC to assess current availability for this cruise and the only Categories remaining are (1)one 5A , and every level of cat 4.

What I'm not sure about is whether "sold out" means exactly that, or does it mean they've reached their sales quotas for this cruise? Hopefully it's the latter.

With just getting off the Member Cruise and then taking the next regular Dream cruise, the difference in the amount of people was about 1,000 people. Could definitely tell that Member Cruise had the lesser amount of people. Made a big difference!

Specialty Dining continued.................................

Remy Dinner

We have dined at Remy twice for dinner. Unfortunately I only have photos from our first trip in 2011. We were a party of 6 and while you can order from the menu, it was recommended we allow the chef to select our courses as a group - which we did! (with one additional item we added ourselves)

Price $75.00/pp (Yes, that's not a typo!) Jackets Required.

Here is the menu from 2011 - created with individual dishes from two award winning chefs - Chef Scott Hunnel (Victoria & Albert's) and Chef Arnaud Lallement (Reims, France)

remy2001_i2_zpsda2e6dd9.jpg

First, we were all given a complimentary signature champagne drink called the Colette - presented here by our son Mark. (always the entertainer!!!)

732011469_zps12801a62.jpg

The bread course is hand served from a tray, not placed in a basket on the table. You could try any or all of three types of bread - multigrain, brioche and our favorite the baquette!!!

Everyone at Remy was also served the next two courses.

Fried Tomato Soup - which was a bite sized crispy breaded cube of liquid tomato soup. (I don't have a photo - sorry!)

and Ratatouille with olive oil ice cream

732011470_zpsa9f5ad34.jpg

All this before we started our meal...............

which began with
Smoked Bison with Fennel Salad and Blood Oranges (Chef Hunnel)

732011471_zps3c4ef8e3.jpg

This is the course we added – Declinaison Tomate (Chef Lallement)
(4 variations of tomato):

Tarte

732011472_zpsd3cea256.jpg

Tomate Glacee Basilic

732011473_zpscf9148ab.jpg

Siphon Parmesan

732011475_zps3cde6cec.jpg

Tomate

732011476_zps739b399a.jpg

Lobster with Vanilla, bisque and lobster roe foam (Chef Hunnel)

732011478_zpsc047fcb2.jpg

Turbot Cotier "vin jaune gnocchi" (Chef Lallement)

732011483_zpsf641e0cf.jpg

732011484_zps88e73524.jpg

australian wagyu w garlic-potato puree & petit carrots (Chef Hunnel)
732011488_zps8ba5d7bc.jpg

Next they wheeled out this amazing cheese "trolley". Each cheese was explained in detail – it’s origin, it’s history, it’s flavor. We took turns choosing our selections. (Truthfully I had no idea what I was doing – we’re not talking cheddar and provolone here! But I loved the experience!)

Here’s the cart and what JQ selected.

732011491_zps6ade7015.jpg

732011496_zps013fd67d.jpg

And for dessert – we were given an incredible assortment!

fondant chocolat croustillant sorbet cacao jus mousseux (Chef Lallement) and vanilla poached pear (Chef Hunnel) and assorted confectionaries
732011500_zps900d4389.jpg

Plus my father kept asking the chefs if they had anything sugar free because he was "watching his sugars". Whenever they'd inquire if he was diabetic, he’d reply “depends on who’s asking!” So this is what was created for him at Remy, Of course,he made sure he sampled all the other desserts at the table too!! :rotfl:

732011497_zps32448415.jpg

Bon Appetit

Welcome to the cruise DaveH. :welcome:

This is our first Member cruise. For cruise info and port canaveral bus charter you can click on the link in my signature.

Thanks for the welcome. We have not decided where we will be staying before the cruise or afterwards yet. I just talked to DW and sign us up for 2 seats on the bus. We are going to wait until 7 months out and get a studio at either OKW or AKV.

We booked our pre Cruise dates at the BLT today. Going to sneak in 2 days for the new Fantasy Land and one other park, then 2 days for Epcot (first 2 days of the Food and Wine festival). We have to go home right after the cruise to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of our Parish Church. :moped:

Thanks for the welcome. We have not decided where we will be staying before the cruise or afterwards yet. I just talked to DW and sign us up for 2 seats on the bus. We are going to wait until 7 months out and get a studio at either OKW or AKV.

Absolutely Dave,

Glad to have you aboard! Keep checking page one for details. As we get closer to Embarkation Day I will compile a private contact list just for the bus group. Looking forward to meeting you both.

Jim

Anyone pricing Southwest for our cruise? According to their website, fares thru Sept 27th are scheduled to be released on Feb 4.

Hello all! Welcome to all the newbies!!! I have been more stalking than writing the last couple of weeks. Crazy but exciting times here! My son is graduating from grammar school this June, and his High School acceptence letters came home last week, now it's registration, and all three seem to have a project due every day!!!

I want to be on the pool deck with a konk kooler and mt kindle!!!:rotfl2::rotfl2:

We are looking to fly Southwest from Long Island, and I really want to know when the after September 27th dates are going to be released!! We are planning on flying down on the 28th. I would be willing to fly any airline with a great price, but Long Island/Islip is so easy!!!

Hi all, :drive:
I have just reserved our Happy Limo bus for the return trip to WDW. Please check the front page link in my signature for updated info. There are only 11 seats left on the outbound trip(my brother better decide soon).

Anyone who already signed up, but needs the return trip please let me know.

Anyone else who would like a ride either way please let me know as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter