September 28, 2016, DVC Member Cruise on the Magic!

We'd love to do the FE too.

not sure about the candy exchange. Bobbi, how involved is it?
The candy exchange is really easy. We picked a candy from our region and put some background info with it to hand out. Put it in the FE's of the ones on our list. Very similar to the gift exchange just with candy.

The candy exchange is really easy. We picked a candy from our region and put some background info with it to hand out. Put it in the FE's of the ones on our list. Very similar to the gift exchange just with candy.

sounds like a lot of fun. we're in.

we aren't planning to do a B2B - but technically we are still booked on the 10/2/16 NYC 5nt to Canada immediately following the Member Cruise. As much as I really love the thought of relaxing, taking photos at leisure and enjoying many things during our time in Halifax, I'd have to convince Johnny Quest to take that much time off. (although we did it for Alaska) Maybe a little arm twisting is in order!

My cousin and family are on the October 2nd cruise, but not on the MC. I just booked another DCL cruise in March so we will cruise together for the first time. Her first cruise ever was DVC's Alaskan cruise which she loved. She's not on Disboard yet!

My cousin and family are on the October 2nd cruise, but not on the MC. I just booked another DCL cruise in March so we will cruise together for the first time. Her first cruise ever was DVC's Alaskan cruise which she loved. She's not on Disboard yet!
Give her my name on here and I am Renee McLain in other places. We can meet up on the October cruise!

Here's the link for the NJ Transit Air Rail connections from Newark Airport to NYC Penn Station.

http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=AirportConnectionsTo

I agree it's cheaper. It does involve taking two rail connections - the AirRail at EWR transferring to the NJ Transit NE Corridor line at Liberty Station. It also involves navigating thru NY Penn Station to climb/escalate at the correct street level where the cabs line up. Plus, there's the added cab fare above the $13 to take you to the port.

We've done this with and without luggage many times, and it's manageable. I've always liked the NJ Transit rail service to NYC. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons compared to paying an upcharge for door to door service.

Finding the way out to 8th Avenue and the taxis is easy. When you come up the stairs/escalator from the platform, turn so that you are facing TGIF Fridays. The escalator to the street is ahead of you, on your left.

Good advice. but I highly recommend viewing a map and watching several youtube videos of NY Penn Station. It's very busy on a weekday morning and a major rail station in the US.

to recap:
1) buy tickets to/from NY Penn Station not "Newark Penn Station" which is a completely different station stop in NJ before travelling into NY.
2) exit to 8th Avenue via TGI Fridays landmark per gometros for an easy street access to get in the taxi line.

Thanks so much for these tips. Poison Ivy - you are so right to suggest checking maps & YouTube videos, Penn Station is quite the busy place! Tthe maps & videos have helped.

Since we are coming from West coast, we plan to come a few days early to stay in NYC rather than just for the cruise, so will have larger suitcases. I checked the NJ Transit site, and at one place it says to travel light as there is limited room for luggage. What is 'limited space' and where does the luggage go on the NJ Transit train? I couldn't find a video that showed anything re the luggage. Want to be sure we can get on with suitcases larger than carry on size, as this does seem to be a very good option to get into NYC. Thanks.

Thanks, rwcmath. I'll keep an eye out for signing up.

Your name is on the list! I'll keep the list in the first post, and every so often, I'll list it on a new post, to keep it up on everyone's mind!

Candy Exchange interest
In May, I'll ask for cabin numbers, number of participants in each cabin and if there are any allergies. Looking forward to trying and sharing local treats! We usually include something about the history of what we are sharing.

I try to keep the groups reasonable in size. We had 32 participants on the last member cruise, and we had 4 groups of 8. I try to assign the groups based on the deck and if I can area.

Bobbiwoz
Pattipook
Alaneeray
poison ivy
DizDays
Missy1897

Awesome!! Thank you, bobbiwoz! I'm excited about this. And I already know exactly what we'll do. :)

Does anyone have a favorite port that you've been to on DCL? Or a favorite cruise?

My favorite cruise was WBPC cruise in 2014 and on that cruise my favorite port was Cozumel. I was with my husband, sister and brother in law, we went snorkeling, and wild dolphins came to swim with us for awhile. I just felt that they were seeing us off on the amazing journey we were on.

my favorite cruise was Alaska. I just loved every day and everything about it. But that was our 6th cruise and we've had so many great times on the other sailings. Favorite ports so far: Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan in Alaska / Grand Cayman / Key West / San Juan.

Skagway/Juneau and Ketchikan are individually unique: rich in beauty, wildlife, geography, culture and hospitality. Would love to go back
Grand Cayman was fascinating to me. Hearing the locals describe their government structure and history and that gorgeous 7 mile beach were major highlights.
Key West was a first, and we just loved walking around and taking it all in. Something about the whole look and feel of the place, I guess.
San Juan was a beautiful surprise. The two forts are incredible to tour and so majestic as they rise above the streets. Love the free trolleys to take you around.

I'm sure if we ever get to Europe it will blow all this away.

Thanks so much for these tips. Poison Ivy - you are so right to suggest checking maps & YouTube videos, Penn Station is quite the busy place! Tthe maps & videos have helped.

Since we are coming from West coast, we plan to come a few days early to stay in NYC rather than just for the cruise, so will have larger suitcases. I checked the NJ Transit site, and at one place it says to travel light as there is limited room for luggage. What is 'limited space' and where does the luggage go on the NJ Transit train? I couldn't find a video that showed anything re the luggage. Want to be sure we can get on with suitcases larger than carry on size, as this does seem to be a very good option to get into NYC. Thanks.

The NJ Transit NE Corridor line is a great line to get to NY from NJ. Very convenient and very safe. I used to ride it all time to commute to NY from S. Jersey.

Here's the official site info provided for travelers connecting via the AirTran from EWR.
http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=AirportConnectionsTo

Managing a suitcase on the NJ Transit line will take some ingenuity though depending on when you are taking the train. There is a small rack above the seats on both sides which can store a duffle/backpack but not a decent size wheeled bag. That would need to stay with you and the agents don't want the aisles blocked.

The Northeast Corridor line on NJ Transit (your train line to/from Newark Airport) is a major commuting rail line from NJ to NY. Most passengers won't have luggage during the weekday rush hour and it's not uncommon to have standing room only at certain points on those trains. But they run several express trains during that rush, which automatically bypass the Newark airport station.

So if you're travelling with a few bags in tow my first suggestion is to plan around off peak times when the trains are empty and you can easily spread out. Sat/Sun is ideal anytime or if it has to be a weekday, try to board late morning/early afternoon - beyond the commuting rush. In most cars, the first 2 seats up front face each other and you can stack some luggage between them. otherwise it's going to have to be a tight squeeze in your row or worst case, standing room only with you in the aisle if seats are scarce.

But don't worry. A ton of passengers get off at the "Newark Penn Station" stop which is a major hub in NJ to connecting rail lines and only 6 minutes away as the very next stop from the Newark airport. You'll easily grab seats then, and be able to spread out more comfortably for the rest of your trip in to NY Penn Station.

One youtube video to assist: "New Jersey Transit HD: Riding Train 7852 From Metropark To New York Penn Station (8 Car Arrow III)" - the first few seconds is quick look at the inside of the cars. (no need to watch the rest) You'll see how empty it can be.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We're all happy to help.

Give her my name on here and I am Renee McLain in other places. We can meet up on the October cruise!

Hi, I tried to send you a conversation here, but I cannot. My cousin would be happy to meet you. If you care to send me an email at
Bobbiwozniak@hotmail
I can connect you two via E-mail.

Bobbi

For those of us who do have to fly in, any advice from those in the area re which airport - JFK or La Guardia in NYC or New Jersey - and transport in to the city? It appears DCL will only do transfers from LaGuardia or JFK but flights to Newark seems be lower priced from the west coast, at least that's what I am finding today as I start to research. Thanks.
As it has been mentioned above, taking the train from Newark into NYC is a great option- when you get off, you can just take a taxi down to the port, or even walk! There's also a bus that goes from Newark Airport into NYC as well- very straightforward.

Checking in. Can't wait to sail out of NYC. We're driving in on cruise day from S. Jersey. Very excited.

I won't know if I'm on this cruise for awhile yet (I think I am, though). If so, we need to say hello this time!! Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter