September 28, 2016, DVC Member Cruise on the Magic!

I am traveling today, but when I am home, I will list the people who are interested in a FE. I have not been involved before, but I would organize if no one else mentions it here.

Do you want FE adult group?
Just for children?
Any other kind?

Bobbi

Traveling from Newark is very easy. Since there is a NJ Transit stop on a line that goes directly into NY Penn Station. Penn is a short cab ride to the Pier. I can't imagine that for a 4-day most people would have a lot of luggage, so I would say train is the way to go. At $12 one way, versus the cost of a shuttle, it's a huge savings.

Here's the link for the NJ Transit Air Rail connections from Newark Airport to NYC Penn Station.

http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=AirportConnectionsTo

I agree it's cheaper. It does involve taking two rail connections - the AirRail at EWR transferring to the NJ Transit NE Corridor line at Liberty Station. It also involves navigating thru NY Penn Station to climb/escalate at the correct street level where the cabs line up. Plus, there's the added cab fare above the $13 to take you to the port.

We've done this with and without luggage many times, and it's manageable. I've always liked the NJ Transit rail service to NYC. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons compared to paying an upcharge for door to door service.

On another note, our cruise is coming in from the WBTA correct? I'm wondering if parking will be light for us that morning.

One other note about the Candy Exchange is that the candy should be wrapped or packaged by the manufacturers. The same sort of rules as handing out Halloween candy apply.

I am traveling today, but when I am home, I will list the people who are interested in a FE. I have not been involved before, but I would organize if no one else mentions it here.

Do you want FE adult group?
Just for children?
Any other kind?

Bobbi

We did both Adult FE and Family FE groups on the Alaskan member cruise - but we never excluded anyone from joining any group or as many as they wanted.

If we do set up 2 groups to start, you can put us in the Adult FE. If we just want to keep a running group and split it similar to how you structured the CE, that's fine with us too. We're good either way. thanks.

Oh and that Candy Exchange sounds like a lot of fun. We'd love to join in.

Thanks to everyone for the transfer information - lots of things for me to research, I appreciate the help!

I have been asked what a FE is. On the port side of DCL ships, there is a fish clip by each cabin. A Fish Extender hangs from the clip and has pouches on it, so folks can deliver their goodies. On the starboard side, the clip is, I think, a seahorse. However they are all called Fish Extenders.

If you go to Etsy or EBay and look for Fish Extenders, you may be surprised at how many people make them for sale. You can hang gift bags or make your own, what you see on board is varied.

I made mine.
image.jpeg

Hi all! My husband and I are excited to be on this cruise. This is our second member cruise (we were on the 2011 cruise on the Dream that wasn't one of the better member cruises). I can't wait for this one! I would be interested in participating in the candy exchange. Not too sure about the FE this time. That turned out to be a ton of work. Looking forward to meeting you all!

New to Disboards. Am interested in doing the Candy exchange. (did it on the August 14 DVC cruise and it was alot of fun and yummy.)

We are excited to be sailing out of the Big Apple! Am I correct in thinking that She docks next to the USS Intrepid Museum? I hope so.

It will be nice not having to contend with airfare/hotel this cruise.
Yes, the Manhattan cruise terminal is very close to the USS Intrepid.

I have been asked what a FE is. On the port side of DCL ships, there is a fish clip by each cabin. A Fish Extender hangs from the clip and has pouches on it, so folks can deliver their goodies. On the starboard side, the clip is, I think, a seahorse. However they are all called Fish Extenders.

If you go to Etsy or EBay and look for Fish Extenders, you may be surprised at how many people make them for sale. You can hang gift bags or make your own, what you see on board is varied.

I made mine.
View attachment 135630

I really enjoy the FE. Hopefully these photos will help as well. If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Many of us here have participated in the past.

I posted a lot more photos a few years ago here: September 29,2013 - DVC Member Cruise if anyone would like additional ideas. Enjoy

this was our sons 3 pocket FE which we used for the Alaskan Member Cruise.
He ordered it online 6 years ago and it has held up really well.

You can see all the great door magnets we received as gifts (plus the one I bought from Tracy's King Crab Shack)

the gifts really do vary. Some (like ours) were 1 gift for the entire stateroom and some were individual for every member in the cabin.

close up of the gifts in each pocket shown above

stateroom gift hanging above

This collapsible hamper was included in the above gift as well. Very practical and we made good use of it.

our cruise was before the new alcohol carry-on policy. Not sure how that affects FE gifts such as this going forward.

it included beautifully engraved shot glasses.

A few more examples. The packaging can be just about anything. there really are no rules.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Here's our 4 yr. old grandson thoroughly enjoying several things once we returned home.

finally, this was our gift. we solicited local vendors to give a sample "Taste of Alaska" and distributed them the morning before we docked at our first port in Skagway, AK.

ps I have more FE photos from this years Alaska member cruise. I was hesitant to post them in case any cruisers plan to replicate their gifts but I'm happy to if there are no objections.

This is our first member cruise and we are so excited!! And also our first visit to NYC :)
Martin & Sally

Here's the link for the NJ Transit Air Rail connections from Newark Airport to NYC Penn Station.

http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=AirportConnectionsTo

I agree it's cheaper. It does involve taking two rail connections - the AirRail at EWR transferring to the NJ Transit NE Corridor line at Liberty Station. It also involves navigating thru NY Penn Station to climb/escalate at the correct street level where the cabs line up. Plus, there's the added cab fare above the $13 to take you to the port.

We've done this with and without luggage many times, and it's manageable. I've always liked the NJ Transit rail service to NYC. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons compared to paying an upcharge for door to door service.

On another note, our cruise is coming in from the WBTA correct? I'm wondering if parking will be light for us that morning.

Finding the way out to 8th Avenue and the taxis is easy. When you come up the stairs/escalator from the platform, turn so that you are facing TGIF Fridays. The escalator to the street is ahead of you, on your left.

We are so excited to be going on this our third Members Cruise! Living 22 miles away is a definite plus for us. We grew up in Queens, NYC, and my parents grew up in Manhattan. We now live a little further east. On September 11, 2001 DH and I were both working in Manhattan, and our older son was working at WDW. We were all safe, and in light of what has happened in Paris in the last few days, a lot of the memories of that day and many weeks after have made our hearts heavy. It will be wonderful to see some of you again, and meet new friends. Celebrating the good times (especially with Disney) is truly one of the great joys of our lives. Those of you who are new to the Members Cruise.....it will be something special!!!!

It'll be wonderful to cruise with you again too DisneyBelle99. I just realized this is our 3rd Member Cruise with you guys. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Finding the way out to 8th Avenue and the taxis is easy. When you come up the stairs/escalator from the platform, turn so that you are facing TGIF Fridays. The escalator to the street is ahead of you, on your left.

Good advice. but I highly recommend viewing a map and watching several youtube videos of NY Penn Station. It's very busy on a weekday morning and a major rail station in the US.

to recap:
1) buy tickets to/from NY Penn Station not "Newark Penn Station" which is a completely different station stop in NJ before travelling into NY.
2) exit to 8th Avenue via TGI Fridays landmark per gometros for an easy street access to get in the taxi line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter