September 28, 2016, DVC Member Cruise on the Magic!

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
Come here to chat and plan!

I've organized Local Candy Exchanges and would love to organize one here! We use Fish Extenders to pass out local or regional candy or snacks. I keep the number of cabins in each group to 6-11.

I hope other groups will form, meet ups etc. I will keep a look out and keep a list of planned activities here!

Candy Exchange....I will keep a running list of interested folks.

Fish Extender...will someone here keep tabs of that? i do not do FB very often, so on the last MC, I think someone was keeping tabs here and there.

Meets on board....an embarkation day meet is easy to coordinate!

Group Mixology.....any interest in these, there's wine, champagne, mixed drinks....any interest?

Anything else?

Bobbi:boat:

Hi everyone. The Local Candy/Snack exchange uses Fish Extenders to pass out local treats. We've gotten cheese straws from Mississippi and flavored popcorn and other non candy things in the past. I keep the groups under 12, for instance last Lear we had 32 participants, 4 groups of 8. Examples of candy has been salt water taffy from NJ and Utah, potato shaped candies from Idaho, chocolate covered berry candies from the Glacier NP area and Hershey chocolates. It is always fun to come back to your room and find a sweet treat!

If you are interested in the Candy/Snack Exchange please let me know! If you have not sent me your info please do so here, or in a conversation with me. Tell how many people are in your cabin, number of adults, children, if there are any allergies.

Candy Exchange sign ups are close! Look for a conversation with participants and appropriate information!

Bobbi

Last edited:
We are excited to be sailing out of the Big Apple! Am I correct in thinking that She docks next to the USS Intrepid Museum? I hope so.

It will be nice not having to contend with airfare/hotel this cruise.

We are spending the night before at the Marriott Marquis and will take DCL transfer from there to the port. I think it will be $45 per person, we book it later.

Too bad the Broadway shows do not have Tuesday shows. I would like to get to the 9/11 memorial....also I want to eat in Carmine's!

Checking in. Can't wait to sail out of NYC. We're driving in on cruise day from S. Jersey. Very excited.

bobbiwoz, your precruise stay sounds great. We love the Marriott marquis. excellent choice. I'm surprised Broadway has no shows on Tues. but I hope you get to do the other things you have planned.

Last edited:

I am going by what my sister says about Broadway shows. If she is wrong, I will find out.

Come here to chat and plan!

I've organized Local Candy Exchanges and would love to organize one here! We use Fish Extenders to pass out local or regional candy or snacks. I keep the number of cabins in each group to 6-11.

I hope other groups will form, meet ups etc. I will keep a look out and keep a list of planned activities here!

Bobbi:boat:

Bobbi, we will be on the members cruise again this year and would love to do the candy exchange again! It was interesting to try some of the regional candies. Hopefully we will be able to meet on this one!
Renee'

Eric and I would love to do an FE gift exchange! We will be doing a B2B this time.

I am new to the disboards too! I went on my first Member cruise this year and had a GREAT time! I am counting down the days! I would love to be a part of the candy exchange.

We are excited to be sailing out of the Big Apple! Am I correct in thinking that She docks next to the USS Intrepid Museum? I hope so.

It will be nice not having to contend with airfare/hotel this cruise.

You are correct. She docks at Pier 90 right next to the Intrepid.

https://www.tdf.org/showfinder

Here's a link to find NYC plays, musicals, etc - posted from the Theatre Development Fund. For those interested in Aladdin or Lion King, those two are dark on Mondays and have shows on Tuesday evenings.

Excited to be on this member cruise - can't believe it sold out in about 4 hours!

For those of us who do have to fly in, any advice from those in the area re which airport - JFK or La Guardia in NYC or New Jersey - and transport in to the city? It appears DCL will only do transfers from LaGuardia or JFK but flights to Newark seems be lower priced from the west coast, at least that's what I am finding today as I start to research. Thanks.

For those of us who do have to fly in, any advice from those in the area re which airport - JFK or La Guardia in NYC or New Jersey - and transport in to the city? It appears DCL will only do transfers from LaGuardia or JFK but flights to Newark seems be lower priced from the west coast, at least that's what I am finding today as I start to research. Thanks.

I thought I would be getting a ride to Newark airport and I asked how to get to the ship from there and here's a link: it is post number 3 that talks about a shuttle, individual or for a group. That's what I was going to do until my cabin mate suggested we spend the night in NYC before.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/ca...-for-dvc-member-cruise.3458693/#post-54637227

Last edited:
Newark airport taxi fare will cost you about an extra $50 to get into NYC than JFK, JFK about $30 more LGA. So it depends on how many are flying in from the West coast to figure out which airport is more cost effective.

Looks like the Supershuttle from Newark Airport (EWR) is reasonably priced in comparison to the other options in that thread but it may not be the most efficient time-wise since it's a ride-share vehicle. There's always the risk of getting stuck, waiting for more patrons at the airport and dealing with multiple stops.

but here's the link. I'd search for discounts and coupons too. Plus, who knows? maybe there will be more from our group flying in around the same time to share a van.

http://www.supershuttle.com/Locations/NewarkEWR

select: hotel/landmark search and type in the word "cruise" to reach info on the manhattan cruise terminal.

We'd love to do the FE too.

not sure about the candy exchange. Bobbi, how involved is it?

Hi, on our August MC, there were 32 cabins involved in the Candy Exchange. I divided the exchange into 4 groups of 8. We give our offerings once. Some examples that I have given and received in the past:

Cheese straws from Mississippi
Life savers were invented in Cleveland
Salt water taffy from various places, including Salt Lake City
Potato shaped delicious delicacies from Idaho
Many candies from Disney in Tokoyo

I do try to keep the floors together, but sometimes there's a lone cabin or area. I do think that a benefit of delivering treats is that you get to see all sorts of door decorations. Also, you get to chat with cabin stewards, all are familiar with the FE practice. Lots of smiles.

If there are allergies, I make note and inform all in that particular group. If I personally am at a loss for a child, I would contact the adult in the room and ask for a safe treat.

The amount given is truly up to the giver, who does know the make up of each cabin. When children are involved, I have a little extra thing I include....someone on our EBTA cruise in 2013 included the gift to everyone, and it caught on with us!:)

I am traveling today, but when I am home, I will list the people who are interested in a FE. I have not been involved before, but I would organize if no one else mentions it here.

Do you want FE adult group?
Just for children?
Any other kind?

Bobbi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!