Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Get offended and storm out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, because there has to be an other

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters

china mom

DIS Veteran
If you are misidentified as a senior citizen and offered the senior discount, do you correct the person or take the discount?

I a 58, slightly greying and currently walking slowly and with a limp. I was checking out at he local grocery store (self checkout) and the clerk rushed over to me and asked me if I wanted to use my senior discount. HECK YES!! It was only my lunch so the 5% discount came to 25 cents but, hey, a quarter is a quarter.

If you are misidentified as a senior citizen and offered the senior discount, do you correct the person or take the discount?

I a 58, slightly greying and currently walking slowly and with a limp. I was checking out at he local grocery store (self checkout) and the clerk rushed over to me and asked me if I wanted to use my senior discount. HECK YES!! It was only my lunch so the 5% discount came to 25 cents but, hey, a quarter is a quarter.
Some places the senior discount starts at age 55. Went somewhere with one of my Aunts and they asked if she was a senior, and she asked what age is senior, and they said 55 and up. She said "I'm willing to admit to that age". She was 60 at the time.
I am only aware of my wife and I getting a senior discount once, and we only notice it after we ordered. It was at Long John Silvers, and the cashier gave it to us because she knew there was going to be a longer than usual wait for our food.
My barber offers a Senior discount, $15 instead of $17. But with tip, I still pay the barber $20. They had a rough time during the pandemic being closed down for 9 months.

I don't know that I've ever been asked, but I have realized it was given a couple of times. I would not generally self-identify as a "senior citizen" but my DH does.

I was at Michaels a while back. I had joined their loyalty club and must have applied for any special discount offers at that time. The cashier rang me up with out really looking at me and when my discount popped up, she exclaimed "oh, it added your military discount" she then looked up and corrected herself "I mean your senior discount" I don't care, a discount is a discount. But now I am wondering what discount I have in there.

I am nowhere near that age and most people tell me I look younger than I am but if someone mistakenly gave me a senior discount I would have to be honest and say I do not qualify.

I use my AARP discount all the time. You only need to be 50 to join. :) Best $12 I ever spent...and it came with a trunk organizer.

yup-i get $10 per line discount w/aarp on our family plan with at&t ($40 a month-nothing to sneeze at).

dh started going gray in his 20's and by his 40's we would laugh over how sometimes we would notice that wendy's or some other place had applied a senior discount without asking. i'm 7 years older than dh and well qualified for senior discounts BUT i never get asked, dh who does not generally qualify gets asked all the time :rotfl2: we figure the ones he gets offsets the ones i'm not offered.

Why not take the discount if it applies!

Dh always asks if they offer a military discount. Of course not every place has it, but even ones that don't will sometimes apply a discount they have for another group. As @MamaMermaid said, no shame in our game for saving money.

We used to automatically get one at Kroger when they offered it. I think my DFIL waa on our rewards card.

I have an AARP card because DH qualifies. I think I used it once at a Hilton and at Denny's. 😂

I'm with @fly girl on the military discount when we remember to ask. I'd decline the senior if asked.

I use my AARP discount all the time. You only need to be 50 to join. :) Best $12 I ever spent...and it came with a trunk organizer.
So, funny thing about AARP. I retired at age 46 and they didn't want me because I wasn't old enough. Fine, I unretire and go back to work. Then, as soon as I turned 55, they want me even though I am working full time. I suggested they change their name to the AASOP (the American Association of Slightly Older People). It's not a retiree club, its an older persons club.

I’m nowhere near being of senior’s age (55+ at some places). If I were offered, I would be offended and decline the discount, thank you very much! My ID was checked well into my late 20s but then after my kids were born, they stopped checking, lol.

So, funny thing about AARP. I retired at age 46 and they didn't want me because I wasn't old enough. Fine, I unretire and go back to work. Then, as soon as I turned 55, they want me even though I am working full time. I suggested they change their name to the AASOP (the American Association of Slightly Older People). It's not a retiree club, its an older persons club.
From their website - While AARP is dedicated to people over 50, there is no minimum age to join

DH is over 65 and gets more discounts than I do, but I get excited whenever I see one for over 60. The DC metro has good rates for seniors.

From their website - While AARP is dedicated to people over 50, there is no minimum age to join
Not now, but there used to be - though I don't know how strongly that 55 was enforced. I had a "spouse" membership well before I was anywhere near that.

if you are at least 50 it does not hurt to inquire of any bushiness these day-i was recently surprised to find that some of our local electricians, plumbers and septic services now indicate on their websites that they offer senior discounts.

DH is over 65 and gets more discounts than I do, but I get excited whenever I see one for over 60. The DC metro has good rates for seniors.
That must have changed at some point because I was rejected in my 40s. I did manage to get over it though :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter