Selling a used mattress

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
Okay, honest opinions please.
I am cleaning out my mom's house. She bought a brand new $2,200 mattress and box spring 2 years ago. She used it for a year, then moved into a care home. I have discovered used mattresses are a hot topic at work. Some folks swear it's illegal to sell used mattresses for health reasons, others have sold and purchased used mattresses.
Checking Craigslist, there are a number of used matresses for sale by private party, and at used furniture stores. So if it's illegal, it sure isn't very well regulated.
So, I know I wouldn't get much for it, and I am thinking about asking $200 for it. Too much? Too little? Or should I just donate it or take it to the dump?

I think the laws are different in each state. Many years ago I purchased a very expensive bed on Craigslist at a substantial discount.

It does vary by state. I know that no thrift stores in my state will take one, regardless of age or condition.

I don't think you can hurt yourself by putting it on Craigslist, but I do think you would need to do your research and price it well. You obviously won't get anywhere near $2200 for it, but you could get a decent amount if you can document the date of purchase and show that your mom really only used it for one year.

I think a lot of people would be leary buying a used mattress. There have been bed bugs everywhere, I would never buy a mattress from a person even if it was new.

I think a lot of people would be leary buying a used mattress. There have been bed bugs everywhere, I would never buy a mattress from a person even if it was new.

This would be my fear. It's also why I only buy wooden furniture, not upholstered, secondhand and antique.

You obviously won't get anywhere near $2200 for it, but you could get a decent amount if you can document the date of purchase and show that your mom really only used it for one year.

My mom was amazingly organized, so yes, I have the receipt for just about everything in the house including the mattress. AND the receipt or her entire living room set purchased in 1951! ::yes:: And we only used the Living Room for Christmas. So that furniture has about 62 days use in the last 62 years ::yes::

It's illegal to sell a used mattress here; however, you can "give away" the mattress if the purchaser buys a set of sheets from you.

If I were you and it was not illegal, I would probably try to sell it. However, I would never buy a used mattress. That's just gross! :crazy2:

If I were you and it was not illegal, I would probably try to sell it. However, I would never buy a used mattress. That's just gross! :crazy2:

agreed- and I buy LOTS of 2nd hand things, but not mattresses.

agreed- and I buy LOTS of 2nd hand things, but not mattresses.

I have to agree with you that I would never buy a used mattress....

BUT I will also tell you that we have sold several old beds over the years and I'm always amazed at how quickly they sell and how much people are willing to pay for them....we have had all sorts of buyers: college students, retirees and lower income people who just can't afford a new bed. The beds we've sold have been in good condition with no stains or obvious signs of wear.

I think that as long as the bed is in great condition, OP, you should have no problem selling it...and I would price it higher than $200. You can always reduce the price if no one buys it quickly.

I have had friends buy a clean used mattress off of Craigslist. I have no clue how much they spent on it, but it was with a nice bed set. Good luck!

I wouldn't buy a used mattress myself however for those saying it is gross it is not really any different than going to a hotel and sleeping on those beds.

Try Craigslist. If you can't sell it on there, please contact the local domestic abuse shelters and see if they can use it to get a woman (and sometimes children) set up in a home. A lot of times those women have to leave with nothing. My mother used to own a furniture store and all the used mattresses we picked up that were in good condition went to a local domestic abuse shelter and they were very grateful. It seems like such a waste to take it to a dump.

My wife just reminded me that she sold her mom's bedroom set complete with mattress 15 years ago. In that case, her mother passed away unexpectedly in her sleep, in that bed. The buyers had no issue with that. I think I might have.

I wouldn't buy a used mattress myself however for those saying it is gross it is not really any different than going to a hotel and sleeping on those beds.

I don't think it's gross to buy a used mattress, but if I get bedbugs from a hotel, I know who to blame, and I can probably contain the bedbugs to my luggage before I get home. If I buy a used mattress and get bedbugs, I have only myself to blame and an entire house to de-bug.

I wouldn't buy from a stranger but my neighbor had a yard sale & had moved from a larger house & didn't have space. They had no children & this was their guest room furniture. It was a beautiful queen size cherry sleigh bed with night stand & tall dresser for just $500. Not a scratch or stain so I felt I could believe her when she said it was used prob 5x when friends or family would visit. Ds16, then around 13, had a set of bunk beds & was ready for more mature looking furniture. It was win win for both of us.

I don't think it's gross to buy a used mattress, but if I get bedbugs from a hotel, I know who to blame, and I can probably contain the bedbugs to my luggage before I get home. If I buy a used mattress and get bedbugs, I have only myself to blame and an entire house to de-bug.

I am not in a spot in my life where I would buy a used mattress, but if I were, I would buy a bedbug zipcover for it and put it in it before it ever got into my home. Possibly before it ever left the other people's home. (Wouldn't want them getting in my car.)

I bought a used mattress for our rv off of craigslist. The owners said they used it only a couple of times in their new rv and then got a sleep number. It looked brand new and I checked it thoroughly for bugs. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money for the rv. It didn't gross me out and I don't regret it. I only paid $50 for it and it is a million times more comfy than what we had.

Honestly, sleeping on a hotel mattress grosses me out more. Hundreds of people have slept on and done other nasties on those things. At least my used mattress has MY sheets and mattress cover on it which I know is clean. I can't say that about a hotel. My SIL got bedbugs from a hotel. Brought it home in their suitcases and couldn't contain it. They were a pain to get rid of.

I would never buy a used mattress for my house (from someone I didn't know), but we've sold quite a few on Craigslist. And these were not extraordinary mattresses, just regular run-of-the-mill mattresses. We typically get $50-$100 for the mattress and box springs. In our area it's usually college kids or 18-21 year olds that are trying to make it on their own and just want a place to sleep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter