Claw Machines - can we just get a QR Code to buy the prize?

I was just on a thread discussing Great Wolf Lodges. Reflecting on my on experience with GWL I had this thought. Why not put a QR code on a sticker that takes you to the owners (of the machine) online shop where you can just purchase the desired prize?

My former bosses now 12 year old son is a whiz at those. His mom sells the prizes on FB Marketplace for more than they cost him to win.

Because the owner of the machine makes more money if you keep trying.

Most people need multiple attempts to get their hands on a plushie. Let's say an attempt costs $2 but the purchase price for a plushie is $5. After 2 attempts, the owner starts making a profit.

He could sell it to you for $10, but chances are higher that you just keep playing, because now you have your eyes set on that plushie. When you use the machine, others can see you and also might give it a try.

I was just on a thread discussing Great Wolf Lodges. Reflecting on my on experience with GWL I had this thought. Why not put a QR code on a sticker that takes you to the owners (of the machine) online shop where you can just purchase the desired prize?
Really? You want them to charge you $15 for 50 cent prizes?

When my son was younger he was obsessed with Batman. There were adorable Batman plushies in one of those games and we were there for his birthday. He spent his entire card trying to get one with no success. The claw was super loose and I didn't see anyone win. I asked a worker if I could just buy one but no luck. An early lesson on the perils of gambling lol.

DS28 and I are freakishly good at claw machines. We team up to decide which prize would be the best target and check all the angles while setting the claw to get the best grab. If a machine isn't "fixed" we can win over and over. However, many claw machines seem to be set to keep the claw loose the majority of the time. You can set up the perfect grab, taking into account the size and weight distribution of the prize. Then the claw will either not even pick it up, or drop it on the way to the prize shoot. After about 20 tries, it might actually let you win the prize. A few months ago, I watched a mom and two young kids try to win a stuffed rainbow llama at an arcade. They tried over and over and were getting decent grabs, only to have the claw drop it before the reaching the shoot. The mom finally decided they'd spent enough and walked away with two very sad kids. So I stepped up and won the llama in 3 tries. I think the machine was just ready to pay off. The last thing I need is a stuffed rainbow llama, so I found the family and gave it to them. The mom was very appreciative and the kids were thrilled.

Really? You want them to charge you $15 for 50 cent prizes?
My ex-boss sells the ones her son wins for $10 each on FB Marketplace and they sell within hours of being posted. So SOMEONE thinks they are worth more than 50 cents.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest