Second Guessing ADRs ...help?

KJeff90

Mouseketeer
Well I made my ADRs for my August trip on a day that seemed like a much simpler time, I believe it was a Friday. Yeah, looks like I made them on Friday, February 2nd. I'm lingering at the ~136 day mark and until that beloved 60 day mark for Fastpasses comes up, I'm second guessing everything about my ADRs (ah, the life of a planner).

With such a vast variety of life experiences on the DIS, I thought I'd come to you folks for feedback! By looking at the bulk of this post, it's going to be a long one. So grab a snack, put on some Earth, Wind and Fire playing softly in the background to keep things upbeat, and buckle up; thanks for going along with this mid-planning crisis journey with me.

Before I get to posting what we have planned, here's a few notes, observations, and reasoning I had sometime before, at, or after the time of booking:
  • We're 8 people, that's a lot more than the usual parties of 2-4, or nicely rounded 5s. Oh, we're adult people too, most of us are in our mid 20s... and we have one random 17 year old coming with us. It's not that random, our party is comprised of me, my brother, a male cousin and his wife, a female cousin with her sister and boyfriend, and finally my randomly 17 year old cousin. Most will be visiting for the first time, I've been as many times as Walt Disney, +3... that's 3. Poor taste, I know, and that's why I need your help, so keep reading!
  • There's a lot of all-you-care-to-enjoy options. I chose them mostly for the vast array of options that can potentially make our vast array of people happy... and bloated, well, some of us like to eat food in bulk... Costco needs to carry Zebra Domes.
  • We have quite a few character meals. My reasoning is that since we're going at the "most wonderful time of the year" (sarcasm doesn't transfer well in posts), August, we'd rather be waiting for characters to come to us, sitting down, and while we were eating. This sounds a lot better than roasting and "sweating with flavor" like a Christmas ham in the convection oven that is Walt Disney World in August. I realized everything about this particular bullet just screams Americana.
  • We're doing the standard Disney Dining Plan. I know some aren't a fan of it, but we've managed to snag significant savings in one way or another throughout other components of our trip, that it's more than worth it. #NeverPayRetail
  • As the might wind changes its direction, and Disney to decides to charge for things like cabanas; we too like to live on the edge. We decided to take a red-eye from home (Los Angeles) and will be waiting for the sunrise a la Lion King(maybe?) and our first reservation when we land at around 6:15am on our arrival day.
  • The closer and closer we get, the more and more I doubt 1900 Park Fare. I thought the stepsisters and good ol' mama Tremaine would make for some great banter. But something about the Haunted Mansion-like feel of a restaurant with no windows and no doors but plenty of strawberry soup leaves me with an aura of foreboding.
  • Logistically, we're staying at Bay Lake Towers at Disney's Contemporary Resort (try to say that 5 times fast). Never stayed there, but seems pretty promising.
  • With all these big meals, I tried to keep at least one meal space between each AYCE option(which appears to be all of them), but DAY 4's Dinner, is right up against DAY 5's Breakfast.
  • I know Fastpass+ options could potentially change things up, but we'll handle that monster when we get there... or throw him into the psuedo-stretching room that's apparently now available at 1900 Park Fare.
So here's the list, with our intended parks for each day:
DAY 1 - ARRIVAL DAY: EP/MK
Ohana Breakfast (9:30am)

DAY 2 - DAY AFTER ARRIVAL DAY: AK
Boma: Flavors of Africa Dinner (6:30pm)

DAY 3 - ZEBRA DOME HANGOVER RECOVERY DAY: HS
1900 Park Fare Dinner (6:30pm)

DAY 4 - THE HALFWAY DAY: MK/EP
Be Our Guest Breakfast (10:00am)
Biergarten Dinner (6:30pm)

DAY 5 - INSERT SOMETHING CLEVER HERE DAY: EP/HS
Garden Grill Breakfast (10:00am)

DAY 6 - PANDORA: THE SEQUEL DAY: AK
Tusker House River of Light Dinner Package (6:00pm)

DAY 7 - DEPARTURE DAY
Be Our Guest Lunch (1:00pm)

Well after observing all of the above, does it make sense? I know there's tons of variables out there, and feel free to ask for clarification. Comments, suggestions, and friendly constructive criticism are welcomed... and since you made it this far, treat yourself to another snack.

It looks good. Surprisingly 1900 Park Fare was the only restaurant my husband asked for other than ‘Ohana. It really isn’t claustrophobic. The food is good and the step sisters are hilarious, especially if there are boys. Don’t you have 2 too many TS restaurants for the plan?

It looks good. Surprisingly 1900 Park Fare was the only restaurant my husband asked for other than ‘Ohana. It really isn’t claustrophobic. The food is good and the step sisters are hilarious, especially if there are boys. Don’t you have 2 too many TS restaurants for the plan?
My understanding is that Be Our Guest dinner and lunch are QSR credits?

I think you've got some great choices! You might want to rethink the 10am BOG breakfast. In my opinion, it's really not that great, not good enough to take good park touring time (before the sun is blazing by noon) away. If you could get a PPO breakfast there, I'd say go for it though. I really love GG breakfast at Epcot. If you're party doesn't mind early rising, getting a PPO there is awesome- usually you can ride Soarin' before the park opens and the masses get there. If not, 10 isn't bad, you can get there at open, do a few things then eat. We've only been to 1900 Park Fare once. It was good, the character interaction was super fun, and the food was good but I don't think it's on our must do list anymore. If you're on the fence about it, cancel it. Other than that, your plan looks great!

Funny read:) You've picked a lot of great restaurants IMO. But...with all adults in the party, that would be too much character dining and ADRs for me. The beauty of an all-adult trip is to be able to wing it and not worry about meals at precise times. So I would likely get rid of the 'Ohana breakfast on arrival day (on the chance you have a delayed flight...and don't want to pay the $10 pp no-show fee). Instead I'd pop into the Wave at the Contemporary if you want breakfast. You should have no trouble getting a last-minute reservation there.

Day 2 - love Boma and the AKL - nice bar there for before or after dinner.

Day 3 - not sure about keeping 1900 since you'll be at HS. Personally could go either way. Would depend on if you have evening plans for HEA?

Day 4 - I'd get rid of BOG breakfast. No characters there. (You'll see the restaurant on Day 7.) You're park hopping that day so I wouldn't use MK time for a meal...just grab breakfast in your room or if getting to park early there are a couple options on Main Street before park opens.

Day 5 - I'd prefer to eat at one of the Epcot countries or food stands for an early lunch rather than GG breakfast.

Day 6 - I'd keep and this is the opportunity to get pictures with the traditional characters in safari gear. For me with all adults, this would be the only character meal I'd do.

Sounds like a fun trip!

ETA: forgot you have DDP. Not sure how that works if you skip a meal as I suggested on day 4.

Last edited:
Love your witty post! You're planning looks great to me. We, too, reconsidered the 1900 Park Fare & ultimately canceled it, so I can't give you advice there. The only changes I would make is to eliminate one of the BOG ADRs and switch the Ohana to dinner vs. breakfast. If you go for BOG breakfast, get an early one; before the park opens. Then, you can get into one of the big attractions there before or at 'rope drop'. It's a great way to start the day at MK! For Ohana - their dinner is amazing, in my opinion. Try to schedule it about an hour before the scheduled MK fireworks so you can see them while eating. What a fun trip!

What a funny (in the ha-ha sense) post. I’m going to check out your PTR after this. I am a planner too and can completely relate to a mid-planning crisis. I’ve never done the dining plan so can’t offer perspective on that. I agree with the previous posters who suggest rethinking the BoG breakfast if you’ll be doing another meal there later in the trip. It would be too many character meals for me but if meeting characters is a priority for you, I like the logic of doing it in the air-conditioning! Have a great trip!!

I think you've got some great choices! You might want to rethink the 10am BOG breakfast. In my opinion, it's really not that great, not good enough to take good park touring time (before the sun is blazing by noon) away. If you could get a PPO breakfast there, I'd say go for it though. I really love GG breakfast at Epcot. If you're party doesn't mind early rising, getting a PPO there is awesome- usually you can ride Soarin' before the park opens and the masses get there. If not, 10 isn't bad, you can get there at open, do a few things then eat. We've only been to 1900 Park Fare once. It was good, the character interaction was super fun, and the food was good but I don't think it's on our must do list anymore. If you're on the fence about it, cancel it. Other than that, your plan looks great!
That BoG breakfast does seem to be kind of problematic, based on the quality I've heard has been cranked out of there. With us being from the West coast, I think the time change may be working against us in getting all of us up and at 'em for a PPO ADR at BoG(I think these abbreviations could safely land a plane).

As for a PPO at Epcot, I think there may be some value if we wanted to get on Frozen Ever After? Being from the west coast, we've been blessed with Soarin' wait times that peak at 30 minutes in the late afternoon(if you think that's amazing, you'll fall over when you find out how long the Toy Story line is here). I am leaning towards modifying that 1900 Park Fare reservation.

Funny read:) You've picked a lot of great restaurants IMO. But...with all adults in the party, that would be too much character dining and ADRs for me. The beauty of an all-adult trip is to be able to wing it and not worry about meals at precise times. So I would likely get rid of the 'Ohana breakfast on arrival day (on the chance you have a delayed flight...and don't want to pay the $10 pp no-show fee). Instead I'd pop into the Wave at the Contemporary if you want breakfast. You should have no trouble getting a last-minute reservation there.

Day 2 - love Boma and the AKL - nice bar there for before or after dinner.

Day 3 - not sure about keeping 1900 since you'll be at HS. Personally could go either way. Would depend on if you have evening plans for HEA?

Day 4 - I'd get rid of BOG breakfast. No characters there. (You'll see the restaurant on Day 7.) You're park hopping that day so I wouldn't use MK time for a meal...just grab breakfast in your room or if getting to park early there are a couple options on Main Street before park opens.

Day 5 - I'd prefer to eat at one of the Epcot countries or food stands for an early lunch rather than GG breakfast.

Day 6 - I'd keep and this is the opportunity to get pictures with the traditional characters in safari gear. For me with all adults, this would be the only character meal I'd do.

Sounds like a fun trip!

ETA: forgot you have DDP. Not sure how that works if you skip a meal as I suggested on day 4.
I've had a great time at the Wave with their convenient breakfast buffet, but can't do without 'Ohana on that first day; the pilgrimage to Stitch is soemthing special for my brother who adores him. Sure my brother has questionable values, trusting an alien breakfast, but it's unique situations like that just seem marketable, I mean magical. *insert pixie dust sound here* I also think that when it comes to the DDP, you get a better value at 'Ohana than the Wave.

I see ye has dealt with the mystical powers of the Zebra Domes before... ;) 1900 Park Fare is practically on it's way out at this point.

I know the amount of characters is excessive, but I think the abundance of them, with the combination of food is something worth taking advantage of at Walt Disney World. We're a fun bunch who don't really like to take ourselves too seriously. :)

Love your witty post! You're planning looks great to me. We, too, reconsidered the 1900 Park Fare & ultimately canceled it, so I can't give you advice there. The only changes I would make is to eliminate one of the BOG ADRs and switch the Ohana to dinner vs. breakfast. If you go for BOG breakfast, get an early one; before the park opens. Then, you can get into one of the big attractions there before or at 'rope drop'. It's a great way to start the day at MK! For Ohana - their dinner is amazing, in my opinion. Try to schedule it about an hour before the scheduled MK fireworks so you can see them while eating. What a fun trip!
Tried pulling up ADR times for BoG on the same day and it looks like 8:10 is an option. 8:10am ADR, 8 people, 3 bathrooms to get ready in, and a time change sounds like a moment where the love Jeff's family has for him, is tested, in the latest episode of Law and Order: WDW.

While I respect your opinion on the awesomeness of switching to an 'Ohana dinner, I have to make that pilgrimage I mentioned above to see Stitch for the bro.

What a funny (in the ha-ha sense) post. I’m going to check out your PTR after this. I am a planner too and can completely relate to a mid-planning crisis. I’ve never done the dining plan so can’t offer perspective on that. I agree with the previous posters who suggest rethinking the BoG breakfast if you’ll be doing another meal there later in the trip. It would be too many character meals for me but if meeting characters is a priority for you, I like the logic of doing it in the air-conditioning! Have a great trip!!
Glad you're enjoying the thread. Hope you enjoy my PTR as I enjoy your inadvertent plug of it. ;) That BoG breakfast seems to be the beautiful red headed step child that seems to get rethemed and everyone wants to hate on. (See what I did there? pirate:) I'm just not sure if it's better/worse of a value(use of a QSR credit) than the final lunch we're having before we board the Tragical Express. (Look, an opportunity to use this smiley: :drive:!)

Keep 1900 Park Fare for dinner! We last minute booked it for our arrival day and we had an absolute blast. One of our favorite character experiences ever and one of our very best Disney servers ever too. The food was decent. Better than some of the other buffets. It really was so much fun and was a highlight of that trip. We had a party of 8 there and it was a hoot.

Keep 1900 Park Fare for dinner! We last minute booked it for our arrival day and we had an absolute blast. One of our favorite character experiences ever and one of our very best Disney servers ever too. The food was decent. Better than some of the other buffets. It really was so much fun and was a highlight of that trip. We had a party of 8 there and it was a hoot.
See, it was that hoot that got me interested in the first place. I'm all down for a hoot and a half, but I think the problem is not the actual dinner that makes me question it all. The food sounds like it's great from what others have said, I can maybe deal with the architecture, or lack there of with the restaurant, and how could you not love the hoot buffet that are mama Tremaine, the Anastasia that's not from the 1997 20th Century Fox film, or Drizella; a creation that Drake wish he could have rapped about first. I found the weak link... It's that darn Cinderella and her prince. I personally think those two individuals attract a crowd that differs much from the #TeamTremaine crowd and that kind of weakens the Tremaine Effect?

I realize my internal monologue is not so internal now, and this is what gives me anxiety about booking those Fastpass+ reservations 60 days out. I got weak when we got MaxPass over here at Disneyland knowing that I could make a reservation for Space Mountain while in line for Space Mountain, using a Fastpass that I made for Space Mountain, while in line for the Matterhorn. Keep those ADR suggestions coming though, folks! They've been helpful! :)

Since keeping Ohana Breakfast is a must, could you maybe try for a later time than 9:30 in case of travel delays? I think it goes until noon. I would definitely keep Park Fare dinner too since you're staying at a monorail resort and its convenient. Otherwise, I would say try a HS restaurant since you'll be in that park.

Based on your specific wants (AYCTE and characters) sounds like a great plan which as you noted will undoubtedly change up once you get to day 60.
Looks like you've already decided which parks you want to visit on specific days so that'll make the FP process that much simple.

Have fun out there!:)

I to have to plan meals for a party of 8 so I understand your concerns. I think you have done a fine job if I was going to criticize anything it would be the breakfast at BoG. Have you tried for a lunch ADRO instead?

PPs all gave good advice that I can’t improve on, but I do want to say that 1900 Park Fare is a great restaurant. The characters are a huge plus, and it is not some gloomy place with “no windows, no doors.” It’s bright and airy, and a happy place to dine in.

Keep this in mind—restaurants are not always consistent wherever you go, but dining establishments inside Disney’s Deluxe resorts are worth trying because they will at least try to be good.

1900 PF is not as dreary as you would think...but then, I've only been for breakfast (which is amazing and my favorite breakfast on property. I love me some strawberry soup and cheese blintzes.)
I've been considering trying it for dinner on our next trip, but am not 100% about it. Oh, and it's just me and DH and we also love character meals. So much less stressful meeting characters in a relaxed setting with food instead of waiting in a 45 minute line. :)

Since keeping Ohana Breakfast is a must, could you maybe try for a later time than 9:30 in case of travel delays? I think it goes until noon. I would definitely keep Park Fare dinner too since you're staying at a monorail resort and its convenient. Otherwise, I would say try a HS restaurant since you'll be in that park.
How forgiving are Walt Disney World restaurants with being late? I think this is where there's somewhat of a culture clash when it comes to making a WDW and DLR ADR. Here in California, at least with my experience, you can show up late(things happen)... in most cases, technically as long as you check-in at some point during the day they'll honor your reservation. I personally would never show up later than 15 minutes.

I know that 60 days at Disneyland vs. 180 at Walt Disney World has partly to do with the average guest mentality of "I made a reservation so far out, we can't risk to miss it".

Most of the posts I read here on the DIS kind of make it seem like it's an all-or-nothing when it comes to getting to a reservation on time. Things like asking when buses start running, choosing their resort based on the number of in-room bathrooms in hopes of getting their families out the door, if they should leave their weaker loved ones behind as they will just slow them down, or if waking up at the crack of dawn to get an Uber via smoke signal is a viable option.

I understand the dynamics are so much more different at Walt Disney World, with touring time being the priority for most... but I'm hoping that we just manage to show up when we do to our 'Ohana 9:30am reservation and still manage to be sat? Or am I being horribly naive? Sorry if this sounds like I'm sound like I'm worked up about your suggestion; I'm not. I just wanted to explain my thought process as to why I feel pretty good about that time.

Based on your specific wants (AYCTE and characters) sounds like a great plan which as you noted will undoubtedly change up once you get to day 60.
Looks like you've already decided which parks you want to visit on specific days so that'll make the FP process that much simple.

Have fun out there!:)
Thanks for the reassurance with the FP+ selection process. Last time I was at WDW, paper Fastpasses were still a thing.
I to have to plan meals for a party of 8 so I understand your concerns. I think you have done a fine job if I was going to criticize anything it would be the breakfast at BoG. Have you tried for a lunch ADRO instead?
We do have that Lunch ADR at the end of our trip, but it does seem a little bit of an anti-climactic sendoff from WDW. I'm kind of questioning both now as they seem to be both the sacrificial offering of most. Planning for a party of 8 has been fun, it's very surprising how much availability there seems to be.
PPs all gave good advice that I can’t improve on, but I do want to say that 1900 Park Fare is a great restaurant. The characters are a huge plus, and it is not some gloomy place with “no windows, no doors.” It’s bright and airy, and a happy place to dine in.

Keep this in mind—restaurants are not always consistent wherever you go, but dining establishments inside Disney’s Deluxe resorts are worth trying because they will at least try to be good.
I'm sure that mileage may vary between guests when it comes to visiting certain restaurants while in Walt Disney World. I'm also pretty sure they're all giving it their all. That's often a thing that I forget; people have their own opinions and may let one little thing during their experience somehow affect every aspect of their trip. I'm one of those that takes Yelp reviews with a grain of salt and a tequila chaser, often leaning towards the most optimistic side.

1900 PF is not as dreary as you would think...but then, I've only been for breakfast (which is amazing and my favorite breakfast on property. I love me some strawberry soup and cheese blintzes.)
I've been considering trying it for dinner on our next trip, but am not 100% about it. Oh, and it's just me and DH and we also love character meals. So much less stressful meeting characters in a relaxed setting with food instead of waiting in a 45 minute line. :)
I doubt that there is any actual drear at 1900 Park Fare, I think it's just me being picky about the overall aesthetic. Character meals are the best, and I wish we had more of them here at Disneyland. I think right now I just have to consider what possible alternatives we would have, and see if they're viable options logistically.

That BoG breakfast does seem to be kind of problematic, based on the quality I've heard has been cranked out of there. With us being from the West coast, I think the time change may be working against us in getting all of us up and at 'em for a PPO ADR at BoG(I think these abbreviations could safely land a plane).

As for a PPO at Epcot, I think there may be some value if we wanted to get on Frozen Ever After? Being from the west coast, we've been blessed with Soarin' wait times that peak at 30 minutes in the late afternoon(if you think that's amazing, you'll fall over when you find out how long the Toy Story line is here). I am leaning towards modifying that 1900 Park Fare reservation.

I've had a great time at the Wave with their convenient breakfast buffet, but can't do without 'Ohana on that first day; the pilgrimage to Stitch is soemthing special for my brother who adores him. Sure my brother has questionable values, trusting an alien breakfast, but it's unique situations like that just seem marketable, I mean magical. *insert pixie dust sound here* I also think that when it comes to the DDP, you get a better value at 'Ohana than the Wave.

I see ye has dealt with the mystical powers of the Zebra Domes before... ;) 1900 Park Fare is practically on it's way out at this point.

I know the amount of characters is excessive, but I think the abundance of them, with the combination of food is something worth taking advantage of at Walt Disney World. We're a fun bunch who don't really like to take ourselves too seriously. :)

Tried pulling up ADR times for BoG on the same day and it looks like 8:10 is an option. 8:10am ADR, 8 people, 3 bathrooms to get ready in, and a time change sounds like a moment where the love Jeff's family has for him, is tested, in the latest episode of Law and Order: WDW.

While I respect your opinion on the awesomeness of switching to an 'Ohana dinner, I have to make that pilgrimage I mentioned above to see Stitch for the bro.

Gotcha! I'll amend my recommendation to just getting rid of one of the BOG in favor of something else. That 1900 Park Fare debate - we waffled back and forth on that option and ultimately took it off our ADR list. I think we'll try it next time.

Glad you're enjoying the thread. Hope you enjoy my PTR as I enjoy your inadvertent plug of it. ;) That BoG breakfast seems to be the beautiful red headed step child that seems to get rethemed and everyone wants to hate on. (See what I did there? pirate:) I'm just not sure if it's better/worse of a value(use of a QSR credit) than the final lunch we're having before we board the Tragical Express. (Look, an opportunity to use this smiley: :drive:!)

I'm getting good at the abbreviations but lost on PTR. Help! Who, what, when, where, and how?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter