*** Search 101 - Tips to make Search work for you ***

lbgraves

Little Cinderella's Mommy
The latest version of the search function has many frustrated as seen in posts recently that it "doesn't work." I thought that I would post what I have found help me get search to work for me. Hopefully it will help someone else. :)

1. NEVER do a standard search. This will not work so you need to click on ADVANCED SEARCH after clicking on SEARCH THIS FORUM to open the search window.

2. Once you have that window open you need to click on ADVANCED SEARCH once again. This will open up more information that will help you to narrow down your search.

3. If you want to find threads that you have posted on you can then enter your DIS ID and, if you can remember what a thread was about, enter ONE WORD in the KEY WORD box. You then need to go to the window with the DIS forms listed and click on the Cruise forum [if that is where you post was]. I do this a little easier after so long by just clicking on the right hand white bar four times. This will bring the list right to the DIS cruise forums. You can then click on SEARCH and it will usually bring up the threads that qualify.

4. If you want to search for a particular topic, once you have the advanced search window open enter ONE OR TWO WORDS in the KEY WORD box. I did this tonight when looking for the Sea Lion review on St. Thomas by entering SEA LION. I then do the same thing as in #3 with selecting the cruise forum as the forum I want to search. This eliminates TONS of other posts on the DIS that have the same words in them that you are not at all intersted in at this time.

Sometimes simplicity is better. You can find most things with one word searches done this way. It works on the Trip Report forum as well.

HTH! :)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! The search function can be so frustrating. This will help a lot. Thanks for your work on the DCL boards!

A shortcut to using Google's advanced search is to just type whatever you're searching for into the regular Google search box, followed by a space, and then "site:disboards.com".

A shortcut to using Google's advanced search is to just type whatever you're searching for into the regular Google search box, followed by a space, and then "site:disboards.com".
The down side of the google search is that you can't narrow the results by date. This morning, I was looking for a thread that I remembered from last week. Google's search was little help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts