Say Good Bye to Maelstrom....A 'Frozen' Ride is Definite

cbg1027

Florida Girl
This isn't exactly a secret, but I got confirmation today that Maelstrom will definitely be replaced by a Frozen themed ride in Norway.

My source heard it straight from the mouth of a very high up VP at Disney. (Sorry, I cannot reveal my source.)

I'm a little bummed. I know Maelstrom is old and outdated, but there's something charming about it. I love the idea of a Frozen ride, but would have preferred to see it at another park.

My DH and I were at Epcot today and rode Maelstrom. I hadn't been on it since 2006, so I didn't remember it very well. I've been following all of the threads about Norway turning into Arendelle, and I agreed that Norway should remain strictly Norway.

After riding, we came to the conclusion that it was one of the worst rides in the park. It was so short and really did not hold our interest. It also had a confusing storyline. (From trolls to oil rigs??? What on earth?) I think anything will be an improvement... even Frozen.

I predict you will be getting many replies here that will say.... it doesn't move from the "rumor" to "definite" category until it's officially released by WDW.

My DH and I were at Epcot today and rode Maelstrom. I hadn't been on it since 2006, so I didn't remember it very well. I've been following all of the threads about Norway turning into Arendelle, and I agreed that Norway should remain strictly Norway.

After riding, we came to the conclusion that it was one of the worst rides in the park. It was so short and really did not hold our interest. It also had a confusing storyline. (From trolls to oil rigs??? What on earth?) I think anything will be an improvement... even Frozen.

It's the history and culture of Norway, what's so confusing about that?!

ARRRGGGHHHH - If this is true- well - I have a number of less than acceptable names and phrases to say!!!! Stupid stupid Frozen!!!!! As I said before, lets just put a Magic carpet ride in Morroco. Turn France into Belle's village? Give China a Mulan make-over with an "escape from the Huns" ride? Does than sound acceptable for a park that needs so MUCH love for the "future" sections?

WS, while a giant shopping mall, is fine. Sure, spruce up the old Norway ride - heck, go all Game of Thrones or Vikings (History channel show) on it. Lots and lots of awesome vikings and trolls! But not Frozen!

Give Future World the love it so SORELY needs! Heck, put the Frozen girls by the Coke area - Frozen Coke? :)

Give Figment back to us. Take out Captain EO and put an all newly made 3-d Frozen short movie? ANYTHING BUT DESTROY NORWAY!!! UGH!!!

Ok, rant slowwy ebbing....badness level going down....calming down....

But I'm sure that there are many people out there who want to save their beloved Norway. Or at least make it more real and less animated.

I predict you will be getting many replies here that will say.... it doesn't move from the "rumor" to "definite" category until it's officially released by WDW.

Of course. That's pretty much the definition of rumor and definite/official.

But I guess in this case I'll just assume it's definite because I read on the internet that an unnamed source heard from a very high-up VP. Doesn't get any more definite than that.

tumblr_m2zbcakAp71qf9d9no1_r3_500.gif

Yes, as I would expect. If it was someone else posting, I'd still be skeptical if they can't reveal the source. But I know I love to read these things, so I figured others would like the info even if they can't be sure if I'm right.

This rumor is not the first the pass this way. Nor shall it be the last.

I'm confused by this. I mean is Disney just pissed at the Norwegian government isn't paying up?

It makes no sense to put a Frozen ride- Frozen- NOT SET IN NORWAY- into the Norway pavilion. Yeah, there are two Norwegian folk songs in it, and there the connection ends.

Does Maelstrom need a rehab? I guess? Does Epcot need new attractions?? DEFINITELY. Is this the way to do it? Probably not. That being said the Frozen stuff at Hollywood Studios was great and certainly made that park into more of a "whole day" thing for us.

ARRRGGGHHHH - If this is true- well - I have a number of less than acceptable names and phrases to say!!!! Stupid stupid Frozen!!!!! As I said before, lets just put a Magic carpet ride in Morroco. Turn France into Belle's village? Give China a Mulan make-over with an "escape from the Huns" ride? Does than sound acceptable for a park that needs so MUCH love for the "future" sections?

WS, while a giant shopping mall, is fine. Sure, spruce up the old Norway ride - heck, go all Game of Thrones or Vikings (History channel show) on it. Lots and lots of awesome vikings and trolls! But not Frozen!

Give Future World the love it so SORELY needs! Heck, put the Frozen girls by the Coke area - Frozen Coke? :)

Give Figment back to us. Take out Captain EO and put an all newly made 3-d Frozen short movie? ANYTHING BUT DESTROY NORWAY!!! UGH!!!

But I'm sure that there are many people out there who want to save their beloved Norway. Or at least make it more real and less animated.

I will second this rant! I love the animation/Princess aspect of Disney as much as any Disney fan but I'd hate to see it slowly "gobble" up large sections of every park. I love the WS just as it is. Yes, update Norway Pavillion but don't turn it into a Fantasyland attraction.... Will seem terribly out of place!

My sentiments exactly. UGH this sucks. I'm headed to the World next month but wasn't planning a stop at Epcot. Now I feel like I should go to experience my beloved Maelstrom before the powers that be destroy it. :furious:

WHY. JUST WHY!? Surely Walt did NOT envision this for Epcot.

Waiting for official confirmation, but this is a bittersweet change if true. The Maelstrom isn't the best of rides, but it's definitely, imo, a World Showcase staple. Then again, it IS outdated and a Frozen replacement would be perfect. Meh I'm not sure how I feel

I've made it clear how I feel about this so I won't go into it again. Except to say that as a veteran of way more trips to WDW than I should admit, I promised myself that I would never go back to Epcot if the whole Norway pavilion becomes a Frozen attraction. I just couldn't bear it.

Note that I said Epcot. I'm not quite ready to give up the rest even though I don't feel like I once did. This isn't the Disney that I fell for.

And yes, I know that Disney won't miss me or care. That isn't the point.

Hey, Cars was a pretty popular movie! Let's replace Reflections of China with a ten-minute movie about Tow Mater and his garage! The preschoolers will LOVE it!

No offense but the whole “friend of my cousin’s nephews in-law who is Walt’s long lost son said this...” just doesn’t fly with me. I’ll wait till the company states this is true before I get annoyed.

This is not a win for Disney their are much easier ways to milk Frozen take the current Frozen DHS for example.

Just remember what Donald did for Mexico, Oh wait it didn't make it any better just more confusing and cheesy.
Yes the World Showcase needs updating but for goodness sake isn't it suppose to be about the countries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter