Sausage gravy

chernabog

<font color=red>Timing is everything...especially
I'm looking for a good sausage gravy recipe, like the you can find at the breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. My wife tried to make me some for Father's Day, but it didn't work out. If anyone has suggestions, that would be great!

I cook things like this by look and feel,I'll try to guess at the amounts.

Brown one "roll" of good pork breakfast sausage. Remove from pan but save about 1/4 cup of the drippings (or add enough oil to make 1/4 cup). Add 1/4 plain flour and brown. Add 4-6 cups of milk (amount would depend on the humidity and altitude), simmer until think, add the sausage and salt and pepper to taste.

Like Sha_lyn, I make this without measuring, so I have nothing to add there.

A couple thoughts, though....
*I've found that Wondra flour mixes in easier & makes a smoother gravy.
*Just like a roux, you need to heat the mixture to nearly boiling to get it to thicken.
*The type of sausage makes a big difference. Get something you really like to start with. (I wouldn't use Italian, though.)
*We use butter/margarine instead of oil when making hamburger gravy or dried beef gravy. I've never had to add for sausage gravy as the sausage is usually pretty fatty. I usually end up wishing I'd drained it better. :rolleyes:

I always thought these were old PA Dutch recipes until we took a trip to VA & had it there. I've noticed a difference in the flavor that I never did identify. I wonder if they don't add some sort of spice besides the pepper. (I don't use salt in much of anything.)

Now you've got me curious. I think we should write to them & ask for their recipe!

Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter