Running Universal

That's awesome. I agree on that. I saw Aladdin and Lion King there, back when you had to line up and rush to get our favorite seats (front row, center balcony). I was lucky that the LA Marathon in 2017 was opening weekend of Beauty and the Beast (live action). Though getting balcony after a marathon wasn't the smartest thing to do - those stairs were awful! Loved the organist before the movie and it's just a great place. If Avengers 5 is there, sorry Dodgers.
While this does require timing to work perfectly, it's really fun if they're doing something special for the opening of a classic. When I saw Sleeping Beauty there, it was opening night of the run to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the movie. So in addition to actually having Princess Aurora come up from Disneyland to greet guests, they had a panel before the movie with imagineers including Tony Baxter talk about the then in progress reopening of the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough. I think the kid next to me was more excited to be in the same room as Tony Baxter than anything in his life to that point. Then they topped that off by having a panel with animators who worked on the film and proceeded to bring down the house by having Mary Costa who voiced Aurora in the film come on stage and talk about working on the film, her association with Walt Disney, and what the film means to her. She credits the film for launching her very successful opera career. Afterwards, she was gracious enough to stick around and sign autographs for fans and just talk about the movie and what it means to them.

Beauty and the Beast was a little bit different thought they did roll out a red carpet on a Friday morning and had local news media cover the event. There was a character breakfast with Belle that morning too. No panel of luminaries, but still really fun. In the case of both films, they had the princess come out and dance across the stage and say a few words to the kids and kids at heart about how glad she was that everybody had come to see her story. No meet and greet though if that matters to people unless you paid for the character breakfast. They'll also sometimes have special menus at the Disney Soda Fountain next door for the movie in question.

To anyone on the fence about the El Capitan, I think it's absolutely worth seeing if you go to a movie there. The movie experience even without characters is great. The organist is incredible and they'll often have props and costumes on display if it's a live action movie. I've only seen classic releases there, but if they Star Wars races come back to Disneyland in 2020, I am going to see Episode IX there to kick off a very celebratory race weekend.

That would have been really cool to see Mary Costa! Definitely agree about seeing the movies there. When I visit California, I always check and see what's playing there. The movie itself is great, but it's those extra things like the costumes or other experiences (we took our daughters and they had a Toy Story carnival afterwards). I always loved it when they had pre-movie sing alongs with characters on stage, and Ariel would be in the balcony singing. It's a whole other level of going to see a movie and well worth it.

Their course map leaves a lot to be desired, but on the backlot, it looks like the course goes down and around Wisteria Lane/residential street, past the Munsters, Leave It to Beaver and the Virgin Connie Swail's house, then through the Grinch sets (I hope they have a Grinch character stop), War of the Worlds and Psycho House.

Do we assume that spins?? Gah, still real torn about this race....
I'm in the same boat. If this was a local race, I'd have already signed up for it. But I don't know that I want all the time and travel expense for such a quick trip.

I'm in the same boat. If this was a local race, I'd have already signed up for it. But I don't know that I want all the time and travel expense for such a quick trip.

I went back and forth on it, do I want to travel for just a 5k? Having a free hotel night and cheap airfare, plus the inaugural race did it for me, plus I'll cram in park time and maybe some Disney time. Or even better, I can get Postmates to deliver Tommy's chili burgers at 4 am for some pre-race fuel!

I'm out. Just found out my husband's cousin's college graduation is that weekend and we have to go to that...

Happy Mother's Day to me.

I went back and forth on it, do I want to travel for just a 5k? Having a free hotel night and cheap airfare, plus the inaugural race did it for me, plus I'll cram in park time and maybe some Disney time. Or even better, I can get Postmates to deliver Tommy's chili burgers at 4 am for some pre-race fuel!
See there's the dilemma for me. To run this, I have to take Friday off work and drive down to Universal for bib pickup. I may as well get a 2 day park ticket for the rest of Friday and most of Saturday. I come back on Sunday. So in addition to the race fees, I have fuel, lodging, two days at Universal, food, and such. All the other costs make this a very expensive 5K.

Now factor in that a good friend of mine has invited me to visit Disneyland with his family in early June and I know I'm heading down for Galaxy's Edge shortly after that opens and all of the sudden, I'm seeing other ways that I want to use time off and travel funds.

I think running Universal could very cool. But I think I'll wait for a different year. Medal wise, I'd much rather have Jurassic Park or Back to the Future.

Really cool that they're running this through the studio lots. I was just there but if this were happening after GE opens I'd probably do it. Hope they add a race weekend (maybe even a 10k or half?) in Orlando.

EDIT: as it turns out there IS one in Orlando. https://www.raceplace.com/events/17080/uo-fun-run

I saw they did the Florida Cup 5k there last month too. Would have been fun to do but it was on January 13, the same day as the Disney Marathon. I'd love to do one in Orlando through both parks.

I saw they did the Florida Cup 5k there last month too. Would have been fun to do but it was on January 13, the same day as the Disney Marathon. I'd love to do one in Orlando through both parks.
I can't believe I've never heard of this, I have a friend who works at Universal and I've been telling her I wished they did race weekends like Disney. I'll have to keep these in mind for the future.

The 5k in Hollywood is $75 so about $10 less than the Disney 5K. They also have a VIP package for $135 that gives you VIP check in, breakfast after the race, meet and greet with the minions and a water bottle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!