Run-Walk versus Slow-n-steady

Did you just stop the C25K plan and then start 2/1 Galloway without doing any more C25K? I'm trying to figure out how to get started. Right now I am building up my walking. I wonder if I should start running with C25K or Galloway? Galloway says to start with 10 seconds running then 50 walking, I think. I use a treadmill, pretty much exclusively, so that seems like a lot of wear and tear on my machine.

Yup. I "gave up" on C25K (as my husband says) in favor of galloway. I will say I was much faster with C25K BUUUTTT I was on a treadmill, so there was no steep inclines and my speed was metered by the machine. My app actually tells me I am running faster at times then I was on the treadmill (i was running at 12mph on the treadmill and I average about 10:30 on the flat parts of the road- steep hills totally kill my time going up and down them oddly enough). At the moment I call it a draw time/speed wise. When I move to a 3/1 I think I will really see a difference.

I think a lot of people who say they had to "stop" at a certain point of C25k were running too quickly for their endurance. Almost everyone can run a 5k.
I cant say that I agree or disagree since my block with C25K was most likely mental. My body was never in "distress" per say, but my mind kept telling me I had to stop. I never found a way to beat it and of course I am still in the very early stages of galloway, so it will be a while before that lovely little voice comes back. I really hope my progress at that time gives my ammunition to fight the voice! :rotfl:

They just announced that registration (well the lottery anyway) will open later this week. Of course they didn't say the specific date, so I guess we have at least a few days until it opens. Kind of odd considering the lottery usually has opened on Monday for the NWM in San Francisco.

I see that this thread was inadvertently bumped, but I can never resist sharing my thoughts on run/walk. ;) I agree that it's not for everyone, but it has definitely been effective for me. The one piece of advice I have for people who are interested in it is to commit to trying it for a period of time before deciding whether it's for you.

I feel like there are two levels of commitment to it - the first is in each individual run, you really have to use run/walk from the very first mile, even though you don't feel like you "need to." Then there's committing to giving it a long enough trial run - I'd say a month is a pretty good start (admittedly, I pulled that timeframe out of the air). The first time you try run/walk, if you're used to running straight through, there are a lot of elements that are going to seem weird. The transition from running to walking to running again will probably seem unnatural. You may not hit upon the ideal ratio right away. In races, I'm never running the same pace as the other people around me - I'm always leapfrogging. Don't they say it takes like 20 repetitions before a new activity becomes a habit? That's how I feel about starting up with run/walk. It still may not be for you, but that first run is probably not a good indicator of it.

As for me, when I started running again in 2010 (I had run for a few years, very casually, in the early 2000s before kids), I started right up with a Galloway plan. I used Galloway plans for my first two half marathons and a marathon. Then I used Higdon plans for my next half-marathon and the 2012 Goofy Challenge, but still used run/walk within Higdon's prescribed workouts. (I'm sure that the only way I made it through training and completing Goofy was due to run/walk.) Finally, this spring I thought I'd give running a half marathon straight through a try. One race isn't enough to conclusively say one way or another, but the pace was very similar to my PR, but it was possibly the most labored run I'd ever had. And I didn't not walk - there were hills near the end that I walked out of exhaustion, unplanned of course.

At this point anything half marathon or longer I'm planning to run/walk. I'm not sure my shortened recovery time and enjoyment is worth sacrificing just so I can say I ran straight through. Last month I PRed in the local half-marathon using a 4/1 run/walk and broke 2 hours for the first time. After that race I tried using 2:00/:30 while training for my upcoming marathon, and my 18 and 20 milers were probably the best runs of that distance I've ever had. For me, I've found that I have plenty of room to improve without dropping the run/walk method.

At this point anything half marathon or longer I'm planning to run/walk. I'm not sure my shortened recovery time and enjoyment is worth sacrificing just so I can say I ran straight through. Last month I PRed in the local half-marathon using a 4/1 run/walk and broke 2 hours for the first time. After that race I tried using 2:00/:30 while training for my upcoming marathon, and my 18 and 20 milers were probably the best runs of that distance I've ever had. For me, I've found that I have plenty of room to improve without dropping the run/walk method.

I would to go sub 2 hours for the princess half 2013. How fast do you think you were running during 4 min part? My PR is 2:07.
I'm training for my second WDW full using the run/walk and will have my seventh run/walk attempt for Saturday's 18 miler. I am going to try 2run/3walk. Last year I trained to run, but fell apart around mile 15 and finished in 5:04..my longest training run was 24 miles in 4.5 hour. I have tried 3/2 and 2.5/2.5 and am doing around a 10:20 mile. I want to be around an 11mm this Sat. I am hoping this training will prepare me for a fast half. My goal for the full is 5+ hours. I still do speed work twice a week and I think I can really pick that up after the full as my LR will will "short", well, much shorter.

Thought from anyone are welcome.

Hi there. I have two questions for those that do the run/walk method: (1) Do you do it from the very start of a run and (2) How do you track it? An Iphone app? Just a regular watch?

I just switched to a 4/1 run/walk in an attempt to avoid reinjurying my ankle and am having a hard time grasping how to monitor this over 26 miles.

Thanks!

Hi there. I have two questions for those that do the run/walk method: (1) Do you do it from the very start of a run and (2) How do you track it? An Iphone app? Just a regular watch?

I just switched to a 4/1 run/walk in an attempt to avoid reinjurying my ankle and am having a hard time grasping how to monitor this over 26 miles.

Thanks!

It depends. For longer distances, like a Marathon, I do it from the start because I know I need to conserve energy. I use a Gyboss timer, but there are many different applications for your phone, and most GPS watches have the option as well. I just prefer the timer. If I am running with a newbie, I will go from the start, especially if they seem to be having a hard time.

Otherwise, I will make my own intervals based on the course. I always walk up hills, and run down them. I walk Water Stops, and any Gu or Food Stops. I take it easy with my pace, so that when I get closer to the end, I still have energy and feel okay for crossing the finish line.

If you are coming off an injury, Jeff Galloway always wants you to do the 30 second run/30 second walk interval. No exceptions. It seems a little odd, but it is a good mix and I find it to be the ideal interval. I had switched to a 3/1 but Jeff told me absolutely not, go back to 30/30 and he was right. :)

Thanks!

Definitely agree with Shelby and Jeff that you should start the run walk with the very first interval. It feels odd to start walking within a few moments of the start, but physiologically, you need to hit the first one so you are not fatiguing the smaller stabilizer muscles. (These are the muscles the run/walk cycles are attempting to keep fresh.)

The best thing I have found was the old Timex Ironman watch with multiple continuous countdown timers. I am not sure if that watch still exists. The Garmin 610 GPS watch as a run/walk feature built into the logic that will go as long as the batteries last. Finally, There are fitness timers (look at Jeff's site for an idea of what he peddles.) I know that RunKeeper app will alarm you on intervals as small as quarter mile. Not sure how that matches you pacing. It would not give you a start reminder. Not sure if this helps or confuses.

guava said:

Thanks!

I use jog log app on iPhone. I can make the intervals anything I want on that app.

So, are Galloway and C25K training programs mutually exclusive?

I have experience with the C25K program, so I know how the run intervals are increased in that method, with the ultimate goal of running a 5K without stopping.

Does Galloway recommend that all people start with the 30/30 interval? How do you increase, then? Do you just increase your run time as you are able or do you follow a schedule?

Does anyone have experience with Galloway's 5K app?

Thanks for the replies. I downloaded one of Jeff's books last night so I can read up on the run/walk method. In the meantime, I'm going to try out a couple apps during this weekend's long run. Not sure if my iphone will last the maybe 6ish hours I will need it to so I might have to consider the interval timer from Jeff's website. Thanks again!

I just wanted to jump into this thread--it's very much where I am at right now. I tried to train for just running my second half (my first was the princess 2012 where I ran/walked just by feel, with the goal to beat the sweepers, which I did).

I had a bit of a struggle all summer, and went through 3 different training plans, all of which were too hard for my fitness level. Ultimately, I switched to Jenny Hadfield's run/walk plan, and it changed everything. It prescribes the intervals; they're not based on your speed like Galloway's, that's the main difference. I PR'd that half by an hour (2:44 vs. 3:43; OK, I stopped for EVERY photo at the princess, but I finished this half at more than 15 minutes faster than my top hope) doing 4/1 intervals right from the start line.

I use Runkeeper or Runmeter on my phone for the intervals. Runmeter even lets me program intervals based on heart rate and time or distance, but that's another thread.

I'm now training to improve my time in a 5K using Jenny's 5K Run Advanced plan, using heart rate. I have two halves (the princess and a Boston's Run to Remember) coming up, and I have to decide whether to stick with intervals for the 13.1 distance or train to just run. I'm very slow and I want to speed up, so part of me feels like I should train to run, but part of me wonders if my progress with intervals isn't something worth sticking with.

Would love input but also just wanted to jump in with this group who are asking the same questions I am!

Cate

Thanks for the replies. I downloaded one of Jeff's books last night so I can read up on the run/walk method. In the meantime, I'm going to try out a couple apps during this weekend's long run. Not sure if my iphone will last the maybe 6ish hours I will need it to so I might have to consider the interval timer from Jeff's website. Thanks again!

That is the reason I got the timer, the runkeeper app drains your phone like crazy. More so if you use the real time tracking application.

So, are Galloway and C25K training programs mutually exclusive?

I have experience with the C25K program, so I know how the run intervals are increased in that method, with the ultimate goal of running a 5K without stopping.

Does Galloway recommend that all people start with the 30/30 interval? How do you increase, then? Do you just increase your run time as you are able or do you follow a schedule?

Does anyone have experience with Galloway's 5K app?

I would not say that they are mutually exclusive. But, you can pair intervals with any plan. To find what intervals you should be using, you need to do the "Magic Mile" and information about that is on the runDisney youtube channel or you can look at the runDisney blog for more information. Jeff has a series of videos in which he explains the concept.

I would to go sub 2 hours for the princess half 2013. How fast do you think you were running during 4 min part? My PR is 2:07.
I'm training for my second WDW full using the run/walk and will have my seventh run/walk attempt for Saturday's 18 miler. I am going to try 2run/3walk. Last year I trained to run, but fell apart around mile 15 and finished in 5:04..my longest training run was 24 miles in 4.5 hour. I have tried 3/2 and 2.5/2.5 and am doing around a 10:20 mile. I want to be around an 11mm this Sat. I am hoping this training will prepare me for a fast half. My goal for the full is 5+ hours. I still do speed work twice a week and I think I can really pick that up after the full as my LR will will "short", well, much shorter.

Thought from anyone are welcome.

I think the running sections were around 8:15-8:20/mile. I also dropped the walk breaks in the last mile and ran it in from there. I do a fair amount of speed work/tempo/step-up runs during the week so my legs were ready for some speedy running between the walk breaks. I hadn't even been focusing specifically on that half marathon in training, but I feel like I had the right running tools in my arsenal to put a good race together.

I also want to mention a website that I use to calculate run/walk paces: http://www.coachdino.org/runwalk.htm You can plug in all kinds of ratios and goal times and it will tell you the pace you need to run during the run sections.

Finally, I want to give a thumbs-up to the Gymboss. My Garmin 305 no longer beeps (and even if it did, it's not optimal for run/walk intervals since you end up with a lap for each interval), and I don't like to bring my iPhone with me on runs, but the Gymboss does the job. One caveat, my first Gymboss died (or came close enough to dying as to be unusable) - I think it was because of the rain. But now I have a perfectly functional new one, and I'll just avoid using it (or stick it in a baggie) during inclement weather.

Rupert B Puppenstein said:
If you are coming off an injury, Jeff Galloway always wants you to do the 30 second run/30 second walk interval. No exceptions. It seems a little odd, but it is a good mix and I find it to be the ideal interval. I had switched to a 3/1 but Jeff told me absolutely not, go back to 30/30 and he was right. :)

I had never heard of the 30/30 interval as a recommendation from Galloway if you're coming off an injury so this is really good to know because I'm trying very hard not to get a repeat injury! I've got 17 miles to do this weekend so I'm going to try the 30/30 from the start and then the later half maybe 45 run 30 walk to see how that goes. may I ask what kind of pace you are getting with the 30/30 ratio typically?

I had never heard of the 30/30 interval as a recommendation from Galloway if you're coming off an injury so this is really good to know because I'm trying very hard not to get a repeat injury! I've got 17 miles to do this weekend so I'm going to try the 30/30 from the start and then the later half maybe 45 run 30 walk to see how that goes. may I ask what kind of pace you are getting with the 30/30 ratio typically?

It is usually in the 12 min. per mile range. The first time I did it, I was 12:55 overall. I have improved a bit since then after taking his class. I had no idea that my stride needed to be improved, but it made all the difference after he evaluated me and told me what to change.

Thanks!

I generally use a watch. Also . . .

This is probably going to sound a little insane, but I count my steps. I know generally how many steps it takes me to get to finish the interval. Once I get within 25 or so steps, I check my watch. That way I don't have to look down at my wrist all the time. People usually seem incredulous when I say that; I guess it sounds like it takes a lot of energy, but for me, it's a way for my brain to occupy itself. It's a good distraction. If I don't do it, my mind starts wandering until eventually it settles down onto: "you don't really want to run this fast, do you?"

This isn't exactly what you asked, but I will also throw this out there: frequent intervals aren't necessarily bad. I once ran a sub-2:00 half marathon doing intervals of 1:15 run to :45 walk. If the 4:1 is a challenge, there's no shame in doing them more frequently, particularly if you can go faster during the shorter run interval.

This is probably going to sound a little insane, but I count my steps. I know generally how many steps it takes me to get to finish the interval. Once I get within 25 or so steps, I check my watch. That way I don't have to look down at my wrist all the time. People usually seem incredulous when I say that; I guess it sounds like it takes a lot of energy, but for me, it's a way for my brain to occupy itself. It's a good distraction. If I don't do it, my mind starts wandering until eventually it settles down onto: "you don't really want to run this fast, do you?"
Doesn't sound insane to me...said the girl who is constantly doing math problems in her head during long runs. "Runkeeper just said my current pace is 11min 16 sec per mile if I speed up by 16 seconds, over the course of 10 miles I'll save 160 seconds yada yada yada." :)

Doesn't sound insane to me...said the girl who is constantly doing math problems in her head during long runs. "Runkeeper just said my current pace is 11min 16 sec per mile if I speed up by 16 seconds, over the course of 10 miles I'll save 160 seconds yada yada yada." :)

:raising hand: :wave2:

Yeah, I totally do that.

Clock math + threshold heart rate=major distraction, LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter