Run-Walk versus Slow-n-steady

I find I have about the same time, rather running continuously/minimal walk breaks vs. steady run/walk intervals. I think I purposely slow down when running constantly so I can sustain that pace whereas with run /walk I run faster on the running portions so it evens out pace-wise. However, with run/walk I FEEL much better after long runs and am able to keep a very consistent pace with long runs (10 +). So run walk will definitely be my strategy for my first marathon. After that, I want to try improving and running continuously if I can. Just a personal goal.

My husband on the other hand says it is too difficult to start up after walk breaks as others have mentioned. That is his way and it works well for him. If he walked more his time would be slower. Maybe he'll change his mind when he bonks at mile 20 and I run/ walk right past him...LOL. Nah, he'll do great.

I am same. Times are nearly identical for straight run vs 3/1 run/walk ratio....over the long run. I think its just a matter of a faster last half with run/walk that makes up for slower last half when running straight (I start to slow down).

I am able to keep at about 12mm with either.

Thanks for the info paxsarah
I have a nike sports watch that I can put in intervals, just can't hear the beep, so the gymboss vibrates and would be nice, but I am a minimalist and can't carry another thing. I will bookmark the time calculator.

Thanks for the info paxsarah
I have a nike sports watch that I can put in intervals, just can't hear the beep, so the gymboss vibrates and would be nice, but I am a minimalist and can't carry another thing. I will bookmark the time calculator.

I have the Nike+ GPS and the Gymboss. I just clip the Gymboss on my shirt or hold it in my hand when I run. People always think it is a pager. Do those even exist still? I don't listen to music when I run, and most apps tend to drain the phone battery more than I am comfortable with, so I dropped those options a long time ago. The vibration makes a bit more sense to me due to the sea of beeps you hear at the Disney races especially.

I have the Nike+ GPS and the Gymboss. I just clip the Gymboss on my shirt or hold it in my hand when I run. People always think it is a pager. Do those even exist still? I don't listen to music when I run, and most apps tend to drain the phone battery more than I am comfortable with, so I dropped those options a long time ago. The vibration makes a bit more sense to me due to the sea of beeps you hear at the Disney races especially.

I have the Nike+ GPS watch and gymboss also and really like both of them. I am a slow run/walker and find these two together help me alot.

I had my gymboss on beep and ended up getting confused in one race with all the other beeps. Now I set it to vibrate. Was using the 2 second vibrate but think my next few runs I will try the 5 second vibrate and use that 5 seconds to slowly speed up or slow down.

I clip the gymboss on my waistband so that vibrate is felt. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter