Rumor: Top of the World Lounge Not Reopening?

This will be a pretty big bummer for us if true. We enjoy ending the night up there on our BLT stays. We aren't really even that interested in the fireworks. I guess if true we'll either go to the CR or maybe the Poly or GF. I highly doubt we would pay for any desert type party more than maybe once.

I'd be fine if they did a paid dessert fireworks party that went one hour before and one hour after fireworks. Other times have the lounge open for drinks and snacks.

I'd be fine if they did a paid dessert fireworks party that went one hour before and one hour after fireworks. Other times have the lounge open for drinks and snacks.
This makes sense. Every other hotel chain that I have a rewards membership with, that offers some sort of "concierge" lounge, seems quite capable of offering light snacks and beverages with minimal staffing (DVC seems to manage at the Epcot lounge). Closing the lounge say an hour before the fireworks and charging a fee for access during, and for some periold of time after, doesn't present as a particularly difficult proposition.

I would visit TotWL more regularly if parking to visit TotWL from other DVC properties seemed easier. Maybe it is easy, but I have the general impression that parking is difficult at the Contemporary unless you have a dining reservation. I assume that "I want to go to the lounge" doesn't get me parking. Making it easy to access the lounge would inspire me to vising more often. Frankly, I also assumed it was crowded with BLT members and that going all the way over there might be a wasted trip if we couldn't get it. So maybe have a "wait time" option like for rides or a color scheme to indicate how full the lounge is at any given time - if it's green or no wait when I'm leaving my resort, I'll drive over.
We've only been for paid events because that allows us to park and to get it - the above is why we don't visit more regularly to buy drinks and snacks FWIW.
Parking is not allowed for visiting the lounge....you have to take Disney transportation.

We have driven over to the contemporary while staying on property as a DVC member many times and we have never been turned away from being allowed to park there to visit the lounge. You only have to say you are “going to the Top of the world lounge”, the guard scans you band to make sure you are DVC and staying on property. If the lounge wasn’t open it wouldn’t fly, but with its evening hours it’s not a parking problem. There’s always a ton of parking spots at BLT.

We have driven over to the contemporary while staying on property as a DVC member many times and we have never been turned away from being allowed to park there to visit the lounge. You only have to say you are “going to the Top of the world lounge”, the guard scans you band to make sure you are DVC and staying on property. If the lounge wasn’t open it wouldn’t fly, but with its evening hours it’s not a parking problem. There’s always a ton of parking spots at BLT.
Officially parking is not permitted to visit TOWL....whether or not a guard chooses to enforce that may be a different story. I'd just hate to have plans and get there just to be turned away.

A family member just purchased last week and annual passes are specifically mentioned in the membership extras and disclosure statement portion of the closing documents. This subsection has its own place for signatures so clearly is part of the “contract”. It not only mentions the discount on annual pass it goes at length in terms of how to purchase.

In fact, the language gets even so specific to state new annual passes can be purchased through disneyvacationclub.com. This exact page has revision date of jan 11 2021 which means it was definitely false at time of last revision without modification.

Isn't it part of the document understanding document, or however the accompanying document to the contract is called? DVC has tried to say that document is not legally binding. Which is clearly BS, their interpretation is that it's binding for the purchaser but not for them.

A family member just purchased last week and annual passes are specifically mentioned in the membership extras and disclosure statement portion of the closing documents. This subsection has its own place for signatures so clearly is part of the “contract”. It not only mentions the discount on annual pass it goes at length in terms of how to purchase.

In fact, the language gets even so specific to state new annual passes can be purchased through disneyvacationclub.com. This exact page has revision date of jan 11 2021 which means it was definitely false at time of last revision without modification.
The “contract” you’re referring to is the Product Understanding Checklist which is a document Florida law requires timeshare developers furnish buyers at the point of sale. It’s essentially a summary of the POS.

During the 2020 point chart exchange with Disney, Disney made the assertion that the PUC is not a legally binding document but a courtesy summary of the POS; the idea being that should a conflict arise between the terms of the PUC and the POS, the POS will prevail.

Would that position stand a legal challenge? I’m not sure.

What I am sure of is that key Florida legislation, written by lobbyists who line legislator pockets with money, have managed for years to erode consumer rights and have enacted laws designed to protect developers from errors and omissions that are considered “non-material”. It’s essentially carte blanche to promise whatever they want to verbally, in promotional material, and in the sales office. It also creates a fertile environment for corruption, deceit, and the reason timeshares have a ****ty reputation.

The reason every owner should read/understand the POS is because it outlines what you are legally purchasing. Essentially the right to try and book a room. That’s it. It’s what Supersnoop alluded to in terms of what we bought.

And again I say: please point to at least one benefit that blue card members have that non blue card members do not.

Heck, at this point, please point to one benefit that DVC members have that non DVC members do not.

DVC ownership is becoming more and more a scam everyday.

As a resale only owner who pays full price for APs every year, I’d name the AP discount, and the option to buy Gold, the best perk. I also wish I could use points at Riviera. We really enjoy that Property, but we won’t buy direct just to stay there.

Just a newbie question, if you rent a 3BR lake view , do you get access to the patio area even if there is a private activity at TOWL ?

This exact page has revision date of jan 11 2021 which means it was definitely false at time of last revision without modification.

Actually it was just revised again now the 4th time I think it is since shutdown on June 3rd, 2021.

I laugh when people say "it can change whenever" and "its not a guarantee". Well yes Disney COULD change it but they have not on multiple occasions and continue to push it as an incentive and benefit of purchasing DVC direct.

In addition for all members the lounge is listed as temporarily unavailable. At a certain point its a stretch to remain unavailable and then simply revoke access all together. There is some requirement by DVC/Disney for truth in advertising and marketing.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...s/events-experiences/top-of-the-world-lounge/

And again I say: please point to at least one benefit that blue card members have that non blue card members do not.

Heck, at this point, please point to one benefit that DVC members have that non DVC members do not.

DVC ownership is becoming more and more a scam everyday.
Discounted Annual Passes. Just saved $400 plus on renewals for me and my wife. Upgraded to Platinum for a Christmas to New Years stay.

I just purchased direct too and looked up what it says about annual passes in the membership extras document. The statement in mine is truthful, because it is modified by the phrase "from time to time"--which could mean years from now. They just have to offer it some time during the length of your contract for that phrase to be true:

"Annual Passes: From time to time, Members may purchase select WALT DISNEY WORLD® Annual Passes (“WDW Passes”) and Disneyland Annual Passports (“DL Passes”), at a discount off the regular prices..."

I just purchased direct too and looked up what it says about annual passes in the membership extras document. The statement in mine is truthful, because it is modified by the phrase "from time to time"--which could mean years from now. They just have to offer it some time during the length of your contract for that phrase to be true:

"Annual Passes: From time to time, Members may purchase select WALT DISNEY WORLD® Annual Passes (“WDW Passes”) and Disneyland Annual Passports (“DL Passes”), at a discount off the regular prices..."
Re: the bolded... I guess that means they've met their obligation to offer discounted APs this millennium.

Re: the bolded... I guess that means they've met their obligation to offer discounted APs this millennium.
Well exactly, it would only be false if they had no intention of ever bringing back AP discounts for new members. And since they are allowing renewals it is clear they are not discontinuing the program altogether.

I remember all the outrage last year when BCV opened without SAB, and when all DVC reopened without parks being open yet. Have patience, it’s a decades ling contract. They will also be adding new DVC membership magic benefits or experiences too as time goes on. Disney Wish early booking and member chartered cruise is a good example.

Well exactly, it would only be false if they had no intention of ever bringing back AP discounts for new members. And since they are allowing renewals it is clear they are not discontinuing the program altogether.

I remember all the outrage last year when BCV opened without SAB, and when all DVC reopened without parks being open yet. Have patience, it’s a decades ling contract. They will also be adding new DVC membership magic benefits or experiences too as time goes on. Disney Wish early booking and member chartered cruise is a good example.

I believe the "outrage" last year was that Disney closed the DVC resorts for a few months. I don't recall much outrage about them opening while the parks were closed.

I will be at BLT on the 4th. Eager to see if TOTWL opens up for fireworks viewers or not, and will report back!

Everything is changing but it seems us DVC members are getting the worst part of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter