Rumor by agent - Blue Card min. going up

99% of people who buy direct don't know anything besides what their guide tells them. The few of us on these forums that have a better understanding of the product are not their concern.

Is a 125 or 150 point minimum for direct benefits really doing anything though if a week at RIV already costs that? Its just restricting current resale buyers from getting access not really doing anything for up selling people.

They would need to move it to like 200/250 points to get direct benefits so they could sell someone on a 1BR and member benefits over a studio and 1 week a year.

... but I do remember all the years here on the DISboards with DVC owners moaning about how we were neglected because Disney already had our money and knew they had us locked down to come back over and over to spend money at WDW....

That is and always will be a correct description of DVC. It's just a loyalty program with a Disney twist. But it keeps one handcuffed to the Disney system and is able to get DVC members to spend more money on Disney vacations than they otherwise would if they had to pay for their lodging at the same time as the vacation.

That is and always will be a correct description of DVC. It's just a loyalty program with a Disney twist. But it keeps one handcuffed to the Disney system and is able to get DVC members to spend more money on Disney vacations than they otherwise would if they had to pay for their lodging at the same time as the vacation.

You love your loyalty program example. Sorry but there is a real estate ownership and then if you purchase direct there is a discount but no requirement to buy Annual Passes at a discount.

This is not Delta, Hilton, or any other rewards program. Its a timeshare with potential for an extra benefit when buying direct (there is zero additional benefit as total spend with Disney or DVC grows like a reward/loyalty program).

...if they could pull cards from those who don't have the new minimum.

Yikes. I'm not even sure they could do that legally. But even if it's legal, can you imagine the backlash if they didn't grandfather in those who already have a blue card and revoked their blue card status unless they purchased more points?

You love your loyalty program example. Sorry but there is a real estate ownership and then if you purchase direct there is a discount but no requirement to buy Annual Passes at a discount.

This is not Delta, Hilton, or any other rewards program. Its a timeshare with potential for an extra benefit when buying direct (there is zero additional benefit as total spend with Disney or DVC grows like a reward/loyalty program).

It is what it is - it doesn't matter that you fail to see the goal of this particular loyalty program.
Like any other loyalty program, it extracts additional money from you beyond what you planned to spend. That's the goal of all loyalty programs. And DVC does that in spades. But I guess you buy into the false theory that DVC saves one money.

And FWIW, there are currently 4 tiers in this program:
1) Blue Cardholders
2) Pre-2019 white card holders
3) Post-2018 L14 white card holders
4) RIV resale white card holders

It is what it is - it doesn't matter that you fail to see the goal of this particular loyalty program.
Like any other loyalty program, it extracts additional money from you beyond what you planned to spend. That's the goal of all loyalty programs. And DVC does that in spades. But I guess you buy into the false theory that DVC saves one money.

And FWIW, there are currently 4 tiers in this program:
1) Blue Cardholders
2) Pre-2019 white card holders
3) Post-2018 L14 white card holders
4) RIV resale white card holders

There is nothing to miss, its a timeshare......

Your deed that is recorded is a real estate interest.

Those also are not tiers its simply the language that was enclosed in your deed when it was recorded. Disney simply chooses to avoid possible legal action by trying to revoke contractually obligated aspects of a real estate interest.

The only action a potential buyer has is buy direct or buy resale. Zero amount of money changes that historical choice of a previous purchase.

By your definition than everything in life is a loyalty/rewards membership system. Thats fine if you want to try and take it to that extreme.

Yikes. I'm not even sure they could do that legally. But even if it's legal, can you imagine the backlash if they didn't grandfather in those who already have a blue card and revoked their blue card status unless they purchased more points?
As we all acknowledged when signing our contracts, perks aren't guaranteed to continue indefinitely or to even be offered at all. There are many ways DVC could restructure their benefits program to exclude any past purchasers, whether direct or resale. So no legal issues at all, should they decide to do that.

Whether they would or not is questionable but even in the worst case the only reasonable solution for members who might be unhappy would be to sell their contracts and that doesn't really hurt DVC at all. They really don't care whose name is on the check that pays the member dues each year.

I think this is a mistake with everything going on. There are many people who are new resale owners that are right on the edge of getting 100pts for the blue card. FOMO out is my main reason for considering the extra money for direct.
However if they bump the minimum up to 125 I am out. Just too much $$$ to pay for benefits that I don’t really need or know if will stick around.
If they would decrease the minimum to 75 I would buy 75 direct immediately.They could do a short time offer like Sept-Dec. get your blue card for 75pts and all those resale buyers on the fence would pay.

Seems a little crazy, but this would be enough to convince me to never buy direct. Or not until 2042 or so. Could get 175 points resale at BLT for the same price as 100 points right now. I have been trying to convince myself it could be worth it but the break even for us would be at least 11 of 12 years. Probably more. Most of the prime spots are already taken so the original 14 resorts are the only places I’d want to stay anyway.

LOL! I knew this concept was well beyond your narrow field of view. But, of course, you're ALWAYS right. LOL!

My city runs a crazy loyalty program as well, only certain homes get free access to the beach and parking downtown. Then I have google and their loyalty program for having a grandfathered G Suite account. Don't get me started on Xbox's loyalty program for having a Ultimate Game Pass subscription giving me discounts on games.

At least I learned anytime a company has you purchase something now its considered a loyalty program when there is any future benefit. I will have to tell the marketing teams I work with.:rotfl2:

As we all acknowledged when signing our contracts, perks aren't guaranteed to continue indefinitely or to even be offered at all. There are many ways DVC could restructure their benefits program to exclude any past purchasers, whether direct or resale. So no legal issues at all, should they decide to do that.

Whether they would or not is questionable but even in the worst case the only reasonable solution for members who might be unhappy would be to sell their contracts and that doesn't really hurt DVC at all. They really don't care whose name is on the check that pays the member dues each year.
I understand about the perks not being guaranteed. But does that include disqualifying points retroactively that are already valid for booking at Riviera or upcoming new resorts?

When I purchased my second contract At copper creek I remember the sales agent stressing buying direct is better because you never know what Disney will take away.

When I purchased my second contract At copper creek I remember the sales agent stressing buying direct is better because you never know what Disney will take away.
Mostly a scare tactic. Disney have never taken away anything from previously qualified owners unless they are killing the benefit entirely. Like the old valet parking benny.

I understand about the perks not being guaranteed. But does that include disqualifying points retroactively that are already valid for booking at Riviera or upcoming new resorts?

I think they would have a harder time because a larger group would be impacted and there possibly could be a legal challenge. Its why I think Disney will never retroactively take anything away. They will grandfather you in so they never have a legal judgement as honestly they don't really gain that much by taking it away anyways. Its all about future sales with them.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your point. I was only talking about perks. I think you’re correct in thinking the reservation and booking rules probably won’t change.

I think they would have a harder time because a larger group would be impacted and there possibly could be a legal challenge. Its why I think Disney will never retroactively take anything away. They will grandfather you in so they never have a legal judgement as honestly they don't really gain that much by taking it away anyways. Its all about future sales with them.

I’d also be surprised if they retroactively took benefits away. It opens them up to a legal challenge and a huge outcry. My guess is that it’s not worth it, and the “problem” will just go away in the future as people resell their contracts and contracts expire. I agree Disney is mainly concerned with new buyers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!