Rumor by agent - Blue Card min. going up

Oh, I really hope that's not true. My husband and I were just looking at buying the smallest contract direct and purchasing the rest of the points through resale. That will be such a shame if they raise the minimum...

Last edited:

I have been talking with a DVC Guide and she too told me of the increase in minimum points for membership benefits to 125 as "soon". While it certainly could be a sales tactic, it could also be the plan for the MOMENT. There is so much fluidity in the sales environment at the moment that I'd guess they are thinking and re-thinking of a variety of options/strategies to get sales up.

Spoke with an agent (not my agent who is currently furloughed) a couple weeks ago. Now I didn't ask him the min point question directly however after asking him all my general questions, he told me that after the meeting with all his managers he is very excited about what's happening moving forward. Now this could be sales tactic however I was told that Disney was moving more towards the mantra of taking care of their DVC members first over others back like how it used to be. One of my questions questioned moonlight magic and its future. He gave this very example. I guess we'll see how this goes in the months to come. With all this said I cant see the minimum going up if moving more towards the interest of DVC members.

Also expect the borrowing point restriction to be gone in the next year and half.

If the minimum goes up to 120/125 there needs to be some consideration of what value is going in the buyers favor? If it’s simply you get the same Blue Card benefits that currently exist then you will have a tough time swaying experienced buyers.
Like I’ve said before... extra FPs for DVCers, Dining benefits, more DVC lounges, DVC preferred parking at parks, complimentary mousekeeping, etc

Well one thing I'll give them....is that this all puts the FOMO into hyperdrive. Math-wise, the numbers don't make sense. I'm a SINK (single income, no kids) and my trips are either me with my boyfriend or me and my friends for a girls weekend. The fear of course is that there will be future benefits that are announced that I'll wish I had access. Having that been said, I'm not sure they could come up with $5K-$10K worth of benefits. If the Direct price per point on some of the sold-out properties were in even reasonable reach of the resale market; than I'd buy Direct AND buy Direct all-in, but currently they are nearing $100 more per point depending on the property. If I had been shopping DVC a year ago, 75 points would have been worth considering, but at 100 points or even 125 points - I'm no longer sure....BUT FOMO struggle is real :flower1:

On one hand it makes sense given the higher point charts for the newer resorts, but now seems like bad timing. It's crazy how fast it changed in recent years from 25 to 100.

If the minimum goes up to 120/125 there needs to be some consideration of what value is going in the buyers favor? If it’s simply you get the same Blue Card benefits that currently exist then you will have a tough time swaying experienced buyers.
Like I’ve said before... extra FPs for DVCers, Dining benefits, more DVC lounges, DVC preferred parking at parks, complimentary mousekeeping, etc
I could be really wrong on this but I feel convinced there's going to be some sort of FP+ benefit in the future (like you mentioned might be possible) with the blue card. I think that would be a huge perk and rumours about paid FP+ are circulating anyway. Also, depending on the cost of purchasing paid FP+ with a regular ticket, it could definitely be worth the investment (especially for those with large families), yet not a massive cost to Disney if they were implementing it anyway.

With all this said I cant see the minimum going up if moving more towards the interest of DVC members.

The only way I can see minimum going up benefiting anyone (other than Disney) is if they could pull cards from those who don't have the new minimum. Why do I say this? All benefits come from the profit of DVC. If they had less members with Blue Cards and new members had purchased more overpriced direct contracts they could "afford" better benefits.

Also expect the borrowing point restriction to be gone in the next year and half.

I predicted 2022 a while back which lines up right to your 1.5 years. Honestly borrowing is another thing that DVC likely would prefer to remove to allow for more breakage and people being required to travel every 12 months.

If they aren't selling anything direct to start with will a potential increase really impact anything hahaha

The ROFR thread probably has more points going through resale this month than Disney has sold direct. We will see when @i<3riviera posts numbers on Friday/Saturday.

I was told that Disney was moving more towards the mantra of taking care of their DVC members first over others back like how it used to be.
:rotfl2: "Back like how it used to be" when? It wasn't until Ken Potrock threw that big 25th DVC anniversary bash at MK in 2016 that we started seeing all these perks, like Moonlight Magic and the Epcot lounge. I can't remember when DVC members started getting discounts on APs (we had no reason to buy them until 2014, I think), but I do remember all the years here on the DISboards with DVC owners moaning about how we were neglected because Disney already had our money and knew they had us locked down to come back over and over to spend money at WDW....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!