Rumor about potential major reduction in operating hours for WDW if Disney Asia parks remain closed due to coronavirus

Label me as an eternal optimist if you must, but I'm not cancelling my trip unless the parks close and I don't think that's going to happen. A couple of reasons;
  • Korea announced they feel they have passed the peak of the epidemic, with most of the cases occurring in one religious sect.
  • Shanghai Disney, outside the parks, has reopened. The same article states that the Japan Disney 2-week shut-down is just that, 2 weeks, not indefinite.
Also, this was covered in the Imagineering series on D+, one of the major milestones in Japan after the earthquake and tsunami in 2011 was the re-opening of Tokyo DL. Japan will get Tokyo DL re-opened because it is vital for the people in Japan. Disney's bottom line is secondary, if that.

Label me as an eternal optimist if you must, but I'm not cancelling my trip unless the parks close and I don't think that's going to happen. A couple of reasons;
  • Korea announced they feel they have passed the peak of the epidemic, with most of the cases occurring in one religious sect.
  • Shanghai Disney, outside the parks, has reopened. The same article states that the Japan Disney 2-week shut-down is just that, 2 weeks, not indefinite.
Also, this was covered in the Imagineering series on D+, one of the major milestones in Japan after the earthquake and tsunami in 2011 was the re-opening of Tokyo DL. Japan will get Tokyo DL re-opened because it is vital for the people in Japan. Disney's bottom line is secondary, if that.

You ARE an optimist, and I wish you were more pessimistic. I think you should cancel. In fact, I think everyone [else] should cancel. I personally wouldn't mind a spring break at WDW with no lines.

You ARE an optimist, and I wish you were more pessimistic. I think you should cancel. In fact, I think everyone [else] should cancel. I personally wouldn't mind a spring break at WDW with no lines.
OK, that's a deal. I won't come during Spring Break if you don't come during early August. 😉

Tokyo has other concerns too like the Olympics. If places like disney stay closed more people will start asking why the olympics shouldn't be cancelled and Japan does not want to have to cancel those. So if they do get disney tokyo opened I would still wonder if it was more political then anything else.

Tokyo has other concerns too like the Olympics. If places like disney stay closed more people will start asking why the olympics shouldn't be cancelled and Japan does not want to have to cancel those. So if they do get disney tokyo opened I would still wonder if it was more political then anything else.
We are not past the peak. We are still in an unknown situation with cases multiplying rapidly. This will be a 2-3 month issue and certain parts of the world have not even started the journey. Im neither optimist or pessimist, but, with company assetts globally and having contact with people in highly effected areas, Im a realist.

We are not past the peak. We are still in an unknown situation with cases multiplying rapidly. This will be a 2-3 month issue and certain parts of the world have not even started the journey. Im neither optimist or pessimist, but, with company assetts globally and having contact with people in highly effected areas, Im a realist.

I saw one report that models are showing next wiinter as the peak. that it may go down some during the summer but then a second wave in fall/winter.

You are right. There is still a lot about this virus that is still unknown which makes any models and forcasts difficult. Doesn't mean they are totally wrong but that we just don't have all the data yet to put into them.

I saw one report that models are showing next wiinter as the peak. that it may go down some during the summer but then a second wave in fall/winter.

You are right. There is still a lot about this virus that is still unknown which makes any models and forcasts difficult. Doesn't mean they are totally wrong but that we just don't have all the data yet to put into them.

1918 Flu Pandemic second wave was even worse than the first. I do have some confidence that our scientists will have some help for some people by then. Maybe not a full cure but something to lessen the impact. I am not confident that everyone will be able to be protected though.

1918 Flu Pandemic second wave was even worse than the first. I do have some confidence that our scientists will have some help for some people by then. Maybe not a full cure but something to lessen the impact. I am not confident that everyone will be able to be protected though.

The first wave was only slightly worse than a normal seasonal flu. The second wave was the wave that killed young otherwise healthy people.

The scientists don’t yet know if it is seasonal or not. Past Coronavirus have been seasonal. Other respiratory viruses are often (though not always) seasonal. It may be that the change in seasons helps out a lot. It may be it does nothing. But they just don’t know yet. If it follows the path of other corona viruses it could be significantly dying down by early summer. Of course if it doesn’t it could be ramping up like crazy. So I just think people need to take a wait and see approach to making drastic decisions about things that are months out. That is all.

You knew when you rented there was no cancellation. :confused3

That's why renting points has never made sense to me. Life happens and sometimes vacations have to be cancelled or rescheduled.

“Life Happens” is different than a pandemic closing the parks, Disney refunding the DVC Members points and the DVC Rental Store stealing the renters money after becoming aware that the member received their points back due to the closure. Just because it doesn’t make sense to you doesn’t actually make it right, or legal for that matter.

I really feel for you. My second payment to the DVC rental store is due on the 10th of April and all I can do is hope there is a clearer picture about whether or not the parks will be open as I don't want to throw more money at them that I'll never get back, but if I don't pay them and the parks end up staying open I'll have wasted all that money and have no recourse.

I emailed my agent at the DVC rental store and asked them to show compassion and allow the date of the second payment to be moved if it was still not clear what was happening in early April and even that they said no too. The agent even had the cheek to ask whether I wanted to add the new Disney dining plan!

I really feel like they have me, you and all the others in our position over a barrel and even if (cross fingers) everything all works out OK I will never do business with them again. This policy of theirs that allows them and the owner to keep our money even if Disney refunds the points to them, so that they can profit from selling the same points twice is unethical.

I did buy travel insurance from where I live (in New Zealand) but they have invoked an epidemic exclusion - but that's a different battle!!

All we can do is hope that everything works out for us 🤞

Their response is disgusting. You should take to social media.

“Life Happens” is different than a pandemic closing the parks, Disney refunding the DVC Members points and the DVC Rental Store stealing the renters money after becoming aware that the member received their points back due to the closure. Just because it doesn’t make sense to you doesn’t actually make it right, or legal for that matter.
Nothing has closed. No one is involuntarily out any money. Renting points is not for everyone. Read and know the terms and conditions before you agree to the rental. Legal? The renter agreed to all the terms and conditions at time of purchase.

The parks are still operating as normal as far as I know. I am not saying to not be worried but different policies are typically enacted if the parks were to close. Even then if the parks close the resorts may not close. The parks have never closed for an extended period either so if it were to happen which is still very much an if, it would be uncharted territory where I am sure Disney would have a lot of things to deal with. Then you'll have DVC rental companies, and travel agencies dealing with such in various ways.

Nothing has closed. No one is involuntarily out any money. Renting points is not for everyone. Read and know the terms and conditions before you agree to the rental. Legal? The renter agreed to all the terms and conditions at time of purchase.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, regarding the parks not having closed yet. In the situation the OP presented, they would be involuntarily out the money they paid for services not received. you don’t seem to be grasping what they are being told....

The parks are still operating as normal as far as I know. I am not saying to not be worried but different policies are typically enacted if the parks were to close. Even then if the parks close the resorts may not close. The parks have never closed for an extended period either so if it were to happen which is still very much an if, it would be uncharted territory where I am sure Disney would have a lot of things to deal with. Then you'll have DVC rental companies, and travel agencies dealing with such in various ways.

I never proclaimed the parks weren’t operating normally. Perhaps you didn’t catch where the OP had reached out to The DVC Rental Store trying to get piece of mind and was given a flat “too bad” response. That establishment has every intention of making money off this SHOULD the parks / resorts close.

You are correct. The only way DVC owners are going to get points refunded is if the resorts are shut down. If the resorts closed I would expect owners and point rental companies to issue refunds. If they don’t they will get sued and lose. If only the parks would close, nobody is getting a refund. Owners who booked their own stays and renters will be in the same boat. No refunds because they still have the accommodations they contracted for.

It is unfair to demand any accommodation to any terms of a rental agreement with a rental company before Disney has made any changes to how they are operating the resorts. If you have a payment due make it. I say that as someone who has already paid for a future DVC rental.

I never proclaimed the parks weren’t operating normally. Perhaps you didn’t catch where the OP had reached out to The DVC Rental Store trying to get piece of mind and was given a flat “too bad” response. That establishment has every intention of making money off this SHOULD the parks / resorts close.

That’s a big leap you’re making. They are very clear in their terms and conditions when you rent with them. Everyone has the option of purchasing the Point Protection Plan. They do not mince words when you decline.

You are correct. The only way DVC owners are going to get points refunded is if the resorts are shut down. If the resorts closed I would expect owners and point rental companies to issue refunds. If they don’t they will get sued and lose. If only the parks would close, nobody is getting a refund. Owners who booked their own stays and renters will be in the same boat. No refunds because they still have the accommodations they contracted for.

It is unfair to demand any accommodation to any terms of a rental agreement with a rental company before Disney has made any changes to how they are operating the resorts. If you have a payment due make it. I say that as someone who has already paid for a future DVC rental.

Perhaps you should read the OP post, then, as they were not making demands and requesting accommodations to any terms of a rental agreement. The DVC Rental Store is informing renters that if the parks / resorts were to close and the DVC Member were to receive their points back, the renting party would not receive a refund if they didn’t purchase the cancel for any reason insurance.

Even though they legally can’t sell that to NYS residents.

That’s a big leap you’re making. They are very clear in their terms and conditions when you rent with them. Everyone has the option of purchasing the Point Protection Plan. They do not mince words when you decline.

Those in NYS can‘t be sold their Point Protection Plan as they market it as a cancel for any reason insurance plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter