Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of agree with you. To me, it's not the mere fact that they are accepting reservations that was foolish, but that they induced people to make those early summer reservations with the free dining promotion. Indefinitely is indefinitely and book at your own risk and all that, but not only accepting, but actually ENCOURAGING reservations sent a signal that Disney may now be regretting.
I think we're all being a little too hard on Disney for this. When they made the call for the parks to be closed indefinitely, and under the table stopped taking reservations prior to June 1 (remember, that was never announced publicly - it was just found via TA and people like us), June 1st seemed reasonable.

I originally rescheduled my Easter trip for MDW. It wasn't until mid-April that I realized that MDW is most likely off the table. June 1st sounded reasonable at the end of March. It was weeks from then, the virus must fizzle out by then! But this isn't something that can be predicted or expected. We can project what's going to happen with this virus. We can only ride it's wave.

actually ENCOURAGING reservations sent a signal that Disney may now be regretting

If they don’t open June 1, I’m not sure I’d call it regret, more disappointed that they weren’t able to do what they believed was reasonably possible. As for me, I’m glad they at least made a shot for it, even if they miss. I still believe it’s completely possible. I’ve seen nothing yet that says it isn’t. This is crazy stuff going on and I’m not going to blame them if their crystal ball is a little cloudy.

Did they officially cancel people for 5/31? It’s still has hours on 5/24

Hours really isn’t a good way to judge. They still have fireworks and parade showtimes and it’s very likely, if not guaranteed that WDW won’t have those options when they open up. Cancelled reservations and available hotel rooms is the best way to find out if they’ve cancelled through May 31st

I think we're all being a little too hard on Disney for this. When they made the call for the parks to be closed indefinitely, and under the table stopped taking reservations prior to June 1 (remember, that was never announced publicly - it was just found via TA and people like us), June 1st seemed reasonable
It’s easy to sit back and be critical when you aren’t the one having to make the calls. Our June trip was scheduled before our March trip. When we lost March, never in my wildest dreams did I think a late June trip was remotely at risk. Turns out I was wrong. But in mid March? That was a different world from what it is now. I’m not sure where the gripe is. If you don’t have a reservation for then, you’re not hurt. If you do, and you don’t like not knowing and think Disney should’ve been the one to stop you from booking, cancel. Problem solved.

I still think that the encouraging people to book June 1 wouldn't have been so bad if they had extended that free dining offer longer. Then at least you may have had people choosing later fall/winter months instead of trying to pick the least problematic of the offered months for their family.

For a lot of people July, August, and September are really not ideal months to travel to Florida. COVID-19 aside, June is probably the most appealing month to travel out of the ones offered when considering weather (heat and hurricane season), and then the latter part of the deal interfering with hopeful school year starts.

I still think that the encouraging people to book June 1 wouldn't have been so bad if they had extended that free dining offer longer. Then at least you may have had people choosing later fall/winter months instead of trying to pick the least problematic of the offered months for their family.

For a lot of people July, August, and September are really not ideal months to travel to Florida. COVID-19 aside, June is probably the most appealing month to travel out of the ones offered when considering weather (heat and hurricane season), and then the latter part of the deal interfering with hopeful school year starts.
They put out offers for their benefit, not ours. They wanted cancelled guests back in that time frame, not months from now. They did nothing wrong, didn’t owe us anything. I didn’t even use the offer. Personally, I think free dining sucks. But it’s extremely popular and a good way to get a known quantity of guests in their resorts in a time frame that suits them.

I think we're all being a little too hard on Disney for this. When they made the call for the parks to be closed indefinitely, and under the table stopped taking reservations prior to June 1 (remember, that was never announced publicly - it was just found via TA and people like us), June 1st seemed reasonable.

I originally rescheduled my Easter trip for MDW. It wasn't until mid-April that I realized that MDW is most likely off the table. June 1st sounded reasonable at the end of March. It was weeks from then, the virus must fizzle out by then! But this isn't something that can be predicted or expected. We can project what's going to happen with this virus. We can only ride it's wave.
I understand. When they closed in March, it seemed reasonable that they would open by Easter... then May... then June. They made a decision they believed they could with the information they had available at the time, but that doesn't mean people are going to like it when the trip they planned on Disney's inducement of free dining is cancelled.

Ultimately, the parks will open when they open and not a minute before. And we might not get much more notice than a minute ;) But hopefully this was a learning lesson, and I would be disappointed to see Disney offer additional inducements to book after this one, unless they go hand-in-hand with an announcement regarding a specific reopening date and plan.

I could see them possibly closing one hotel from each category. I think it depends on how their reservations are doing. They won't move a person from their current hotel to a hotel at a lower level (they won't move someone staying at Beach Club to Pop Century) So they won't close a resort unless they have the capacity to take all those guests into another equal or better resort.

They put out offers for their benefit, not ours. They wanted cancelled guests back in that time frame, not months from now. They did nothing wrong, didn’t owe us anything. I didn’t even use the offer. Personally, I think free dining sucks. But it’s extremely popular and a good way to get a known quantity of guests in their resorts in a time frame that suits them.

Okay, but are we not talking about this entire June 1 opening from the guest perspective and how people may feel if they do not open at the beginning of June?

I don't necessarily agree that Disney should have put a stop to bookings period until they knew, nor do I think they owe people anything, but I also don't blame people who may wind up disappointed if their make up trip doesn't happen again. And despite my cynicism I do think happy guests are their goal (If for nothing else, they spend more), which is why I think an extended offer with some other appealing travel months may have helped.

And to be honest, there were definitely a few of us who were skeptical of their ability to open June 1 with some level of certainty back in March on this board. Many of us were of the belief that it would take a miracle for April and May (and boy did people disagree with that May part), and that June was definitely questionable.

So I disagree that there was no way to know June 1 may have presented a problem. It was pretty widely accepted by medical professionals that this was not a quick storm that would pass. Yet in March people we're talking about Easter.

I've always said I thought it was more likely to see all four parks open before all the hotels/resorts were open. Never made sense to me to open resorts first, with no parks open.

And to be honest, there were definitely a few of us who were skeptical of their ability to open June 1 with some level of certainty back in March on this board. Many of us were of the belief that it would take a miracle for April and May (and boy did people disagree with that May part), and that June was definitely questionable.

So I disagree that there was no way to know June 1 may have presented a problem. It was pretty widely accepted by medical professionals that this was not a quick storm that would pass. Yet in March people we're talking about Easter.

I was one of those originally who believed it would never close. And then when it did, I said probably first week of April. After that? I started to think maybe July at the earliest (got a lot of flack for this, still do), and I still believe it. This is much more serious and fluid than many people thought.

When Disney reopens. I feel there is not be that many people flying into WDW. So they will not ? Need all those hotel rooms
SO will Disney

Keep all hotels open. Closing floors, or areas, or set of rooms
OR
Will they close whole hotels, keeping one or two Value hotels open which ones and why ? Ones by skyliner ?

What moderates
and Deluxe ? As AK because of having to take care of animals if open or not

edit. Add DVC. Will they get the Number of members to keep all resorts running
As others have said, DVC will likely be open 100%, even if people cancel last minute.
Other resorts have done exactly what you said in the past. FOFQ was closed for a time in 2002 and I think in 2008. Parts of the Value resorts were closed too - whole floors or whole buildings to cut down on maintenance and cleaning. I don't think it really limits weather or not you can book - they'll just move you if they have to.

I've always said I thought it was more likely to see all four parks open before all the hotels/resorts were open. Never made sense to me to open resorts first, with no parks open.
Not saying all resorts will be open. But do see some of the resorts opened before all of the parks opened.

Deluxe's have enough amenities for a long weekend type of trip. Laying by the pool. Utilizing the restaurants. Even moderates would fit it in. Also I imagine Disney Springs will be at least partially opened.

If the room rates are reasonable I would consider taking trip to the mouse house sans parks.

And to be honest, there were definitely a few of us who were skeptical of their ability to open June 1 with some level of certainty back in March on this board.
There’s a big difference between laymen guessing and choosing prospective dates by those with more information than we have. If that weren’t true, there’s a lot of people on these boards that could apparently run Disney better than Disney and I sure don’t think that’s true. I think they’re giving it their best shot and I’m not going to gripe when and if they’re wrong.

But no worries, I won’t hold anyone here who’s wrong responsible either. ;)

Last edited:
Not saying all resorts will be open. But do see some of the resorts opened before all of the parks opened.

Deluxe's have enough amenities for a long weekend type of trip. Laying by the pool. Utilizing the restaurants. Even moderates would fit it in. Also I imagine Disney Springs will be at least partially opened.

If the room rates are reasonable I would consider taking trip to the mouse house sans parks.

I personally believe you won't see any resorts open before a park. Now on the same day? Yes. For example, if they open MK first, then MK resorts with it, but not before it.

There’s a big difference between laymen guessing and choosing prospective dates by those with more information than we have. If that weren’t true, there’s a lot of people on these boards that could apparently run Disney better than Disney and I sure don’t think that’s true. I think they’re giving it their best shot and I’m not going to gripe when and if they’re wrong.

That wasn't my point. I don't think I can make better decisions for Disney parks than Disney can.

I'm just saying it wasn't absolutely insane to think back in March that June could be questionable. COVID-19 related experts did not give the impression that this was something that would end quickly and not be a major issue come June, which was driving what some of us believed then.

so they just canceled everyone through May 31st...but you can book starting June 1? makes no sense. They need to make some sort of announcement with a timeline or stop taking reservations.
Eventually there will be a last closed date and an opening date, so they're gonna have to cancel up until X date and open on X date so I don't see a problem.

They haven't been taking reservations at WDW until 6/1 anyway.

What is more interesting is when/if they start cancelling DLR June since they stopped taking those reservations today(?) it looks like...

If they were 100% sure they weren’t going to be open, they shouldn’t take reservations. I don’t think that’s the case, but even if it is, good luck proving it. The only solution is don’t book until you know they’re going to be open. I’m ok with them holding my deposit.
I have a deposit with them too, it's not really about my $200, it's taking new bookings starting 6/1 when there's no sign of opening and everything is canceled up to the day before. I've argued Disney made the best guess when they said 6/1 and we can't be angry about that, but now that it's been weeks, they may need to adjust and not let people book into June if they don't see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter