Rude awakening on check-out day

Have you gotten a too-early knock or walk-in on checkout day?

• Yes

Votes: 94 44.1%
  • No

Votes: 119 55.9%

• Total voters
We stayed recently at a swanky hotel in a swanky ski town near our home, and the service was impeccable. And, it didn't seem hard for them to do what they were doing. It was literally just follow through, and consistency. We wanted to not be disturbed until check out, we wanted a mini fridge, and I asked for a copy of the Wall Street Journal in the morning. Guess what, all 3 were easily handled by them. Mini fridge waiting in our room, our DND sign went up without a protest, and I had a fresh newspaper to go with my morning. Pure bliss. Those are incredibly easy requests, and Disney can't even honor the "do not disturb me" requests, as evidenced by the MANY people complaining about check out day door knocks despite having their sign up. I call that a service failure, yet I'll still brace myself for the inevitable disagreement from the Disney employees, whoops, I mean apologists.

I have given up on complaining when it comes to the WDW resorts, but I always wonder about the defense that Disney *can't* do something. Things that plenty of other hotels manage to do. One example is the AC sensors. We stayed in a very nice, large resort in Virginia last year. They had the sensors, it was too hot the first night. The next morning I called, a maintenance worker came within the hour and I watched him physically open and disconnect the sensor from the unit and he apologized to me. Then he made a note to swing back and plug it back in after we left. This stuff can be done. Disney chooses not to do it. Maybe they don't have to, the rooms are so full anyway

We got an early knock on our checkout day. We said that we would be leaving at 11:00am since we had a late flight home. A housekeeping cast member sat outside our room door and waited for us to leave. I know this because I left the room to get something. She was there when I left room and was still there when I got back. When we left the room for good to catch our flight, she was still sitting on the floor on her phone.

Yeah, I realize I was being silly. Just as silly as you were to correct PP, right? PP was saying check out was on/before 11:00. And you had to correct that? Why? Because the policy didn't include the exact words on/before? Just because it didn't include the exact words doesn't mean that isn't the intent of the policy, right? And it sure didn't mean the PP's statement was wrong. The entire argument about the exact time was silly.

I think the knowledge I have learned here has been DVC has always knocked on rooms early. That the Room Occupied policy change has had nothing at all to do with this happening. That they've been doing it for years. This is apparently a DVC issue. It's not happening frequently in the Resort world. Some of course but not commonly like with DVC rooms.

Ok, maybe I was harsh, but somewhere before me, someone implied that because the policy stated on or before 11:00 that Disney is fine to start knocking on doors early.

I replied that no, the policy doesn't say that, it states plainly that it's "at" 11:00 so it doesn't support Disney's behavior, as it's currently written.

I very clearly understand that in the real world, check in is after a certain time, and check out is before a certain time. My problem is that the semantics of the policy were being used, incorrectly, to justify something that frankly we shouldn't even be talking about on a Disney forum. An Econolodge forum, sure, but not Disney. I, and many others, expect better.

I have given up on complaining when it comes to the WDW resorts, but I always wonder about the defense that Disney *can't* do something. Things that plenty of other hotels manage to do. One example is the AC sensors. We stayed in a very nice, large resort in Virginia last year. They had the sensors, it was too hot the first night. The next morning I called, a maintenance worker came within the hour and I watched him physically open and disconnect the sensor from the unit and he apologized to me. Then he made a note to swing back and plug it back in after we left. This stuff can be done. Disney chooses not to do it. Maybe they don't have to, the rooms are so full anyway

Disney maintenance has done that exact thing for me each of the 4 times I asked. :confused3

I'll never forget what I saw at BC on 1/1 and WISH I thought to take a photo.

Disney had just implemented its walk-in policy and I don't think it made its way to BC just yet, so the sign may have been coincidental or a reminder for the maid not to knock.

Anyway - we're walking down to the lobby to check our luggage (so my hands were full and I think I left my phone upstairs charging)... and we passed a room with a sign. Instead of a Do Not Disturb, it read: "If you knock, you better have coffee"

Disney had just implemented its walk-in policy and I don't think it made its way to BC just yet, so the sign may have been coincidental or a reminder for the maid not to knock.

Anyway - we're walking down to the lobby to check our luggage (so my hands were full and I think I left my phone upstairs charging)... and we passed a room with a sign. Instead of a Do Not Disturb, it read: "If you knock, you better have coffee"

Threat identified: rude guest. Initiate additional "security" check screening. Beep boop

Love it!

Do people really want Disney to mean exactly what they say about when check in and out are? Do you really not want to be able to check in until after 3 or 4? I hope not. Or how about Disney not disturbing you until 11 on the dot but charging you for every minute you are in the room past that. 11:01? Whoops gotta charge you for that minute! No more asking for late check out, too bad so sad. Only if you pay!

Do people really want Disney to mean exactly what they say about when check in and out are? Do you really not want to be able to check in until after 3 or 4? I hope not. Or how about Disney not disturbing you until 11 on the dot but charging you for every minute you are in the room past that. 11:01? Whoops gotta charge you for that minute! No more asking for late check out, too bad so sad. Only if you pay!

I think everyone would settle on no knocks with the Room Occupied sign up on check out day. It's a low bar, Disney, but I know you can do it!

Funny thing, we got a knock on our door before check out at Hard Rock over at Universal during our trip earlier this month. It's not exclusive to Disney. We had that magnet sign stuck on the frame, whatever it says. They don't have traditional Do Not Disturb signs.
Sadly. I think all hotels are getting bad at "pushing" guests out earlier and earlier. Now, it was not so early it woke us up and just like the few times we've had a knock at Disney they were polite and happy to return later and while they remained nearby cleaning other rooms, they did not vulture over our room waiting for us to leave. Though there was one time we did get a 2nd knock at BWI, just minutes before 11:00. We were minutes before walking out with out bags though.

We got an early knock on our checkout day. We said that we would be leaving at 11:00am since we had a late flight home. A housekeeping cast member sat outside our room door and waited for us to leave. I know this because I left the room to get something. She was there when I left room and was still there when I got back. When we left the room for good to catch our flight, she was still sitting on the floor on her phone.

Poor overworked Disney housekeepers!!

Funny thing, we got a knock on our door before check out at Hard Rock over at Universal during our trip earlier this month. It's not exclusive to Disney. We had that magnet sign stuck on the frame, whatever it says. They don't have traditional Do Not Disturb signs.

The same thing happened to me at Hard Rock last month. Luckily , I was aleady awake or would not have been happy. The last couple of Disney trips , I have been up and out early so can comment on that . I have had it happen to me randomly at other chain hotels. Not often but it does happen other places.

I didn’t read the last 2 pages, but it seems there is an easy solution...

Stagger shifts for mousekeeping.

Have less come in at 7am and move some to have them arrive closer to peak time...maybe 10 am. Send those later shift Mousekeepers to help work check out rooms. Give the earlier arriving ones a larger range of rooms to clean, knowing they have backup coming to help at 10.

It would be very similar to what some departments do in a hospital with nurses...such as the OR.

Really? They've opened up the thermostat for you and disconnected the wire? Do tell me how you got them to do that for you

Really. Got tired of the AC turning off while we were sleeping so called maintenance and told them we were tired of waking up sweating. They sent someone right away and disconnected the motion sensor. 3 out of the 4 times we were in the room and the guy asked when we were checking out so they could hook it back up again. This was at Boardwalk, Yacht Club and AKL twice. Haven't experienced the motion sensor at any other WDW we've stayed at.

Social Media, of which this forum is a part of, is proving to be more and more effective at bringing about change at companies. Businesses realize that customers are able to provide feedback in a public forum. This has benefits for the cons
Businesses, yes. Disney in general, not so much.
If, as you claim, complaints on internet forums have no effect on policy changes why would Disney decide to devote time and financial resources to addressing concerns expressed in these reviews. Disney is openly stating that "your feedback is received by the appropriate Leadership teams."
Yes, Disney is saying exactly that. Nothing more. People can interpret or infer anything they want, but nothing in that statement indicates they are taking any action.

we still have increased prices, reduced hours, resort parking fees, reduced ticket flexibility...
I have read many times that Disney monitors the Dis Boards. With all the "My Disney right or wrong" people that post on these boards it makes me wonder how many of them are working for the Mouse when replying to posts. I guess we'll never know. ; )
I personally don't recall saying Disney is right. I don't and never did work for Disney. I am intelligent and able to both form and (usually) express my own points of view.
The previous poster made a statement that the policy said check out is on/before 11:00. I corrected that.
The policy states, "checkout is..." and, " check in is... " No 'no', no "/" , no 'before'. No by, no after. Just is.
What's unreasonable is people with Room Occupied signs up getting early morning knocks on check out day.
room Occupied = there is physically a person or persons in the room at the time the sign is displayed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter