Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Congrats to Roxykiddo! I love the dress? skirt? she's wearing and was wondering if it came in adult sizes.

Thanks from kiddo for all the congrats. I'm not sure I've ever seen her so proud of herself then when she got her first real medal. She was so quietly beaming at it.

@Anisum the dress is from targets kid section and we call it the "dorito dress" because it's covered in orange triangles. She picked it out for her race wear :). Must have worked cause she was fast.

I'm like FREAKING out that its race week and Disney trip week! Ahhhhhh so look for a post later today about all that and I'm still working on my Cincy recap.

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

Tinkerbell RACE WEEK!!!! I will fly, I will fly, I will fly!

So last week was an odd bird as far as training goes. Had a fairly standard weekday routine, if not a mental slog-fest on Thursday during my last tempo. But I guess that's also fairly standard these days because of my love for all things treadmill. I'm so honestly ready for a few treadmill free weeks...enjoying the outdoors as opposed to hour+ of watching time move backwards on that little screen. If there's anything I can give that ol machine and credit for though...if I can get through 8 miles on a treadmill I feel like I can get through 13.1 outdoors. That may be over-confidence but I'd say that's about the correct ratio if I'm not going race pace the whole entire time.
giphy.gif

Ok so then I had my Friday night one mile which wasn't really part of my training plan. And I'm sure I will post actual pictures about it in a better recap that I'm definitely maybe going to get done before leaving for Tink. But I finished my mile with hubby at same exact time of 8:53 and I can 100% tell you I was holding way back especially at the last .25 miles.
giphy.gif

No really! My watch said 8:12 around the first turn early in the mile and I started slowing up to stick with hubby and by the time were about .25 away I felt like I was really holding back and that it was too easy because I'm sure we were up in the way over 9 min range by that point (I only ever looked at my watch once.) I feel in my heart of hearts I could have had a 7+ min mile (even if high 7's) if I went full-steam guns-out, especially on that gradual downhill course. But I'm totally fine that I didn't because it was fun being together and having kiddo and our family see us together and I didn't barf up my yuengling.
I do have to share this funny conversation:
Kiddo: Mommy why did you run slower than Daddy
Mommy: Daddy is so fast
Hubby: Mommy was being nice
Full disclosure: We ate too many cheese curds an hour before the race than what should be appropriate for people not from Wisconsin.
giphy.gif

And then I had a scenic 5k on Saturday morning at 10am that I basically started out with everyone in corral B passing me swiftly which made me feel like I was doing my duty in only running this as a training run. Helped there was a nice little highway ramp to help the cause. But maybe that first downhill and me finding my stride got me a bit speedy. I felt in control and fine but my mile 1 at 9:06 told a different story so I eased myself back again and found a man and woman probably about 15-20 years my senior hanging out on the right and when I fell in a little ways behind them they were trucking at around my tempo pace and so they were my pacers (as in, don't you dare pass these people miss speedy-pants.) And sure enough my mile 2 was exactly 9:39. I did lose them after a hill that led to a water stop which I walked that stop (but not the hill) but I found them again on a downhill and then there just kept being downhills. Like over and over farther down and down and I just lost them and just kept running. Maybe it just felt that way but it was the easiest last 1.1 miles at the speed I was at maybe ever. It was in the low 9's and I forget what my garmin said but my final time was 29:12 with a 9.26 pace. So not my long run pace, not even my tempo pace...but hey, at least it was slower than my 10k pace! Right???
giphy.gif

So checking in with myself after these two races.
A) Did I feel like I pushed too hard. No
B) Should I probably have gone easier. Yeah
C) Was I fatigued or overly tired those days. Not really
D) Should I be SOOOOO CAREFUL not to go running like a bat out of hell to start my Half Marathon because I feel "totally normal and fine" at a speedier pace...Oh You Betcha!!!!

Ok, I've got more stuff about my weekend with expo stuff and fun pics, but stay tuned as well as a packing post and outfit planning post coming this week!

But stats!
Little Kings Mile:
855 overall
317 of 1192 gender (26.5%)
54 of 190 div (28%)
Flying Pig 5k:
1036 overall
335 of 3366 gender (10%)
59 of 442 division (13.3%)

FINAL TRAINING WEEK + RACE!
Monday: Laundry and packing list fun-time!
Tuesday: 4 miles at EA (I hope outside!)
Wednesday: light STIR or light yoga or just nada...nothing crazy. Probably last minute Target trek to get anything I still need. Finish packing Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
Thursday: 3 miles at EB. 100% chance of treadmill.
Friday: DISNEYLAND! EXPO! DCA! ERMEGERD!
Saturday: It says 3mi @ EA...how okay would it be to remove these from the docket? Or...how essential are these? Think it's best to get at least one or two easy miles in or??? I'm gonna be doing a ton of theme park walking this day and then forcing myself into an early dinner and early bedtime.

Sunday: 13.1 MILES!

Race Plan/Strategy:
I need some guidance even though I'm sure there's so many variables come race that I'm not trying to set myself up for anything too rigid. But I guess I should talk goals...or better phrased "if I do these things, it will be a successful outing"
A) I want to be in the front of my corral, as far front as possible, to put me in a good situation for some early fun-pics.
B) I want a castle pic so badly and that's just after mile 1. I want to remind myself not to run that crazy fast first mile...that racing a 1 mile race to the castle is not smart during a half marathon. My mantra should be to look the opposite of sweaty and exhausted for my "moment"
C) I'd like at least one character pic or more totally depending on line length during those first park miles.
D) I'd love a mickey's fun wheel pic in DCA.
E) I'm gonna walk every water stop and drink the full cup even if it adds time. Because hydration has led to better long runs results for me. I'm going to fuel with gel at the water stop B (https://secure.parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/tinkerbell/2017/TinkHalf17_Half Marathon Course Map.pdf)
which is after mile 4. And then gel at stop E which is just after 8 miles. And then do I need gel any farther after that?
F) I'm probably not stopping for much after I get out of the park unless an amazing pic opp. with one of the local things presents itself to me. I may stop to take a pic of some meaningful mile markers for my scrapbook. Like 10 and 13! But I guess finishing strong would be a lovely end...we'll see what my body thinks about that. And strong to me is defined as "not feeling like I'm falling apart but also feeling like I'm giving a good effort"

So there's no time goal here. I don't want to limit myself from experiencing the fun by capping the time. HOWEVER. I'd love my time to start with a 2 and the smaller the second number is...well that's always the dream right?

If anything my little 5k I ran this weekend taught me...it's that walking to race by myself and running it however I felt like it...and yet still running strong...and not being scared or worried...and being proud no matter what...that's really quite a lovely thing and I can bring that attitude with me even if it's you know...for 10 extra miles (eep)!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Should I be SOOOOO CAREFUL not to go running like a bat out of hell to start my Half Marathon because I feel "totally normal and fine" at a speedier pace...Oh You Betcha!!!!

::yes::

It says 3mi @ EA...how okay would it be to remove these from the docket? Or...how essential are these? Think it's best to get at least one or two easy miles in or??? I'm gonna be doing a ton of theme park walking this day and then forcing myself into an early dinner and early bedtime.

They will definitely help remove the early stiffness in the race. However, it's best if this were done in the morning and not the evening (less recovery time if in evening). At the end of the day, theme park miles aren't really a substitute for these. But with that being said, you'll do just fine if you can't fit this run in in the morning.

And then do I need gel any farther after that?

It takes roughly 30 min for the carbs of the gel to be useful. So if you know you're within 30 min of the finish line, then you probably don't need any more carbs. Electrolytes sure, but carbs not so much. Just remember the total carb consumption for an hour is ~75 g and 2:1 water ratio if you try and sneak a gel in somewhere else.

I'm excited!

Guuurl!!! You are just a speed demon. Can't even contain yourself!! I'm so amazed at how well you've managed all your training and I have no doubt you are going to crush this half-marathon. Your plan sounds great. A good mix of racing and enjoying and soaking up the atmosphere. You have a goal, but you are also giving yourself permission to take your time too and enjoy the experience. Can't wait to meet you this weekend and then later hear all about your great success.

What's the word on roxymama's mama? I hope she is improving. :hug:

Guuurl!!! You are just a speed demon. Can't even contain yourself!! I'm so amazed at how well you've managed all your training and I have no doubt you are going to crush this half-marathon. Your plan sounds great. A good mix of racing and enjoying and soaking up the atmosphere. You have a goal, but you are also giving yourself permission to take your time too and enjoy the experience. Can't wait to meet you this weekend and then later hear all about your great success.

What's the word on roxymama's mama? I hope she is improving. :hug:

Thanks zelly! Roxymamamama is going to JOIN us for the trip! Barring any setbacks between now and then. We rented a wheelchair as a just in case from our hotel and she's totally sleeping in during the mornings while my sis and I roam the parks and you know...run/spectate a crazy early race. She got a certain drug removed that was causing issues and has improved since then. Her next session doesn't start until we are back so her immunity is fine right now. So I'll just be a total nervous wreck while she's on her flight alone and then I'll be fine once we are all together.
Can't wait to meet you too. Party in corral B! (I'll be at the Trader Sams meet up too) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter