• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

I'm sitting next to a snake right now. DS10 has an Arizona mtn kingsnake. It's hilarious because most people think he is venomous because he looks like a coral snake. As long as it stays in the cage I'm good but don't worry I won't post a pic.

@ZellyB that picture is awesome!

My kiddo loves watching snake videos with my husband, so I'm already mentally preparing all my "Not in my house" rules about reptile pets.
My sis liked snakes growing up but if she had gotten one as a pet I would have put myself up for adoption.

My kiddo loves watching snake videos with my husband, so I'm already mentally preparing all my "Not in my house" rules about reptile pets
I'm ok with reptile pets but I draw the line at spiders, I wanna cry everytime I see the hairy tarantulas in the pet store.

Ok, I feel like now that we are on a new page...let's move on from disgusting scary things and focus on what is really important....

Dogs dressed like disney characters
Puppy-Aladdin-and-Jasmine.jpg

disneyFT.jpg

Thankful-for-Puppies-Featured.jpg

JackSparrow.jpg

Flynn-Rapunzel-Puppies.jpg

tumblr_mchjlkyTSK1rq31qso1_250.png

Doesn't everyone feel better now?

If not, then here's a bonus rabbit...
mickey-and-minnie-disney-costumes-dog-rabbit.jpg

Ok, I feel like now that we are on a new page...let's move on from disgusting scary things and focus on what is really important....

Dogs dressed like disney characters
Puppy-Aladdin-and-Jasmine.jpg

disneyFT.jpg

Thankful-for-Puppies-Featured.jpg

JackSparrow.jpg

Flynn-Rapunzel-Puppies.jpg

tumblr_mchjlkyTSK1rq31qso1_250.png

Doesn't everyone feel better now?

If not, then here's a bonus rabbit...
mickey-and-minnie-disney-costumes-dog-rabbit.jpg
:love: Why isn't there a love button!!!

OMG! I got so behind on this thread! So a little late but...@roxymama that skirt looks phenomenal on you :)

Agree with everyone else, and specifically @SarahDisney this site is so bad for shopping enabling!! LOL! Just take all my money!!

AGREED!! I can handle snakes, but spiders horrify me!
Totally me, in fact, I actually really like snakes, and would have attempted to pet the one in your photo. But spiders...Oh Hell NO!!!

Lastly, those puppy pictures!! Nothing melts my heart like puppies!!

Darn, I missed the snake discussion! My son has a pet snake - a boa name Bobo. I tolerate it, but much prefer furry cute things, especially dogs in costumes. :-)

So I am not going to comment on the snakes because :eek: but I will comment on the skipped run: IT IS OKAY TO SKIP A RUN! I think we all know by now that you are serious about running and your training, and I am sure it's a decision you did not make lightly.

I also know that it's hard to admit when you're posting your training here on this board, and not everyone will agree with me on this, but sometimes running taking a backseat is the right thing to do. It doesn't mean you aren't any less dedicated and it won't derail the work you have done to this point. You know when you need to take care of yourself, and I think that is a great thing!!

I hope the tough stuff is getting better, and I hope you don't run into any whales or snakes this weekend. :hug:

Also...I like puppies.

Y'all are the best. I spend a lot of time beating myself up mentally for not getting things totally "right" so I appreciate all the understanding and silliness. But maybe less snakes going forward :)

To get back onto the topic of running at least for 1% of today.
Last year I did one virtual race. It was for Team Sparkles' Ragnar for Rhett syndrome campaign and they put out a youtube of their actual race from last year. They were an "ultra-team" so only could use 6 people instead of 12. Thought you all may be interested if you ever wondered what goes into a ragnar relay.

I think this is the last day you can go on their website (Sparkle Athletic) and sign up for the virtual run.
I did 5 miles last year for it and I'm not the hugest fan of virtual races but was touched by the stories of the charity.

PS OMG CAT LEIA!!!

My kiddo loves watching snake videos with my husband, so I'm already mentally preparing all my "Not in my house" rules about reptile pets.
My sis liked snakes growing up but if she had gotten one as a pet I would have put myself up for adoption.

I can help my niece pick out a cute lizard or frog - totally cute and non creepy.

Official racing season over...which means...
I think before I do my 2017 goals/what's next post (I have so many notes for that one), I need to wrap up 2016! This seems early for an annual wrap-up, but it was quite the year and I feel I owe a lot of thanks to my running crew here for all the encouragement and the thousands of tinkerbell emojis and even just stopping by to "like" a post! It really does keep me motivated.

Looking back at my 2016 goals, I had quite the list (I must have been motivated when I wrote them, cause that was a lot of things to try to achieve in one year) and now I'm happy that I didn't give up on all of that. Not all were 100% successes, but I'm happy with how many I hit on. I definitely know where I can improve and so I'm thinking about that with my list for next year.
1) Run an 8k - ACHIEVED!
2) Run a 10k - ACHIEVED!
3) Run a 15k - ACHIEVED!
4) Complete Evergreen Park challenge again this year - Wasn't possible for me due to date conflicts. :( BUT I did two of the races and hubby completed 4 so he got the medal. So at least now we both have one :)
5) PR in 5k - ACHIEVED! (eeked that one in; I had kind of put that goal on the back-burner to focus on distance, so Yay!)
6) try to run three times a week as much as life allows. Include some cross train to keep life exciting and to make me stronger - First part ACHIEVED not perfectly but pretty close!, Cross-train - not so much...but if I add that in this month I can count it that I did it at least a lil bit, right?
7) hydrate better and eat better this year with end-game being at least 10-15 lbs lighter - ACHIEVED off and on but currently ON!...Now to keep it off (I see you half training 2017, don't think I don't see you.)

2016 Stats
14 races (1 was virtual), 2 races registered for but Did Not Start (1 lazy/travel related, 1 cold)
first rundisney race
first 8k, 10k & 15k
first challenge weekend
first age group placement (even if at a super-small, rainstorm race, with low attendance that I ran fairly slow during...I am counting it!)

New PR's
5k 27:49 (down from 28:57)
8k 50:02
10k race 1:05:31 (down from 1:07:13)
10k split 1:01:08
15k 1:33:06

THANK YOU @DopeyBadger for taking so much time trying to figure out how to get me across more than one finish line this year in times I didn't believe were possible. I know I threw some oddball race lengths at you and I appreciate you figuring it out for me when I was a little lost on how to get to those next steps. Introducing the "80/20", and effort-based, and blind runs, and "A-race" concepts made a world of difference for me in my whole attitude towards running. But mostly just the fact that you believed in me that I could do these plans and cheered me on. When I doubted myself, I just had to remind myself that the numbers said I could :) You sir, are awesome!
Sorry for the lack of graphs in this post.

Gotta give my hubby a shout out even though I don't think he comes on here that often. It takes a lot of moving parts to get us both out the door and running and signed up for races and packets picked up and babysitters arranged and travel plans worked out. He encouraged my new meal planning and portions and veggie onslaught. And I can't tell you how many times I heard "you could do an 8k right now, or a 10k right now, or a half right now" which just fuels my belief that maybe I can. (and I guess since this has evolved into an acceptance speech of sorts...I'd like to thank the grandparents for babysitting way to often...because we signed up for way too many races this year)

Reading this back to myself is helping me finalize what I think I want to do with 2017

:tinker:
New to your TR- inspiring! Thanks for sharing your running bug, hope it's catching

I can help my niece pick out a cute lizard or frog - totally cute and non creepy.

Can she keep it at your house? :bounce:

New to your TR- inspiring! Thanks for sharing your running bug, hope it's catching

Thanks for reading! Stop by anytime. Running and shopping seem to be contagious around here lately :)

Hubby ran the March4Meg 5k this morning while I hung back at the house with kiddo.
Still kind of can't believe it's been officially 2 years now since my first 5k (mostly walk) in 2015! I was tiny bit jealous of the runners going by, but it was raining and so then I wasn't quite as sad. Hubby had an 8:50 mile during his race which is pretty great! I got my 4 miles in tonight on a treadmill cause I didn't want to get wet!

Way to go!! Awesome run.

For washing shoes, I take out the insoles and put them in the washing machine with some old towels on gentle cycle. When done, I just let them air dry. I have no idea if that's the right or wrong way to do it, but it seems to work for me.

It's Race Week???!!!???!!!

That's such a weird thing to type because I've honestly been almost 0% focused on this Sunday's race (besides buying a cute singlet for it.) Pretty much just had half marathon blinders on and the hope is that my endurance training will serve me well for when I "only" need to run 4.97 miles. At least I know I can do tempo runs on my treadmill at an acceptable pace so it's not like it'll be totally foreign to run "fast" for that long. We will just have to see how it all turns out during my race. I'll post my weekly plan and then thoughts & questions on race strategy.

Tinkerbell Training week #11 - Shuffle Time!
Mon 3/27: Intervals of lounging/relaxing/lounging etc.
Tue 3/28: 3 mi @ EA
Wed 3/29: STIR and Yoga
Thur 3/30: 4 mi @EB
Fri: 3/31: Avoid the temptation to eat pizza...race belly will appreciate it later.
Sat 4/1: Take kiddo to dentist (this I will consider in the "hard" category for the week), then EXPO!!!!, then 4 mi @ EA. Will try to avoid any temptation to run faster than EA since likely will be outdoors and you know how I get when I'm allowed outdoors!!
Sun 4/2: RACE Shamrock Shuffle 8k. Main Goal: better my 50:02 from 2016.

Ok so back to race goals talk. For fun I went and looked up what I wrote for my goals way back in 2016.
LAST YEAR I SAID...
A) Mile 1 is not my fastest mile!!!
B) Time goals go in this order of importance...Just Finish/Finish in less than an hour/Finish in less than 55min...So I know I can achieve at least one of those :) Sub 50 min is my super secret not telling anyone I know other than you all goal. I finished my LR last week in 55:17 so I know I can do that out in the neighborhood not pushing myself to a race pace. I'm making a little list of splits that would work out to the above different goals and I'm going to be more cognizant of my splits during this race than I usually am. So I can be smart.
C) I'd like to run the mile 5 hill and then all the way through the finish without walking. Just to avenge my race from last summer.

And I think I did an ok job of trying to achieve those things above the first go round with this race. I know that having mile 1 not be insane is always good. But I also want to push myself a little since this distance is so much shorter than let's say...a 15k. So maybe I should try not to be overly cautious/conservative on mile 1???
Realistically I'll be surrounded by faster people off the bat in Corral D this time than G. So being disciplined to how I feel is going to be important. Calling @DopeyBadger to the pace strategy phone! Since we know my garmin is gonna go bonkers like always. What "feeling" should I be going for off the bat and then when would you suggest I start firing my rockets?
Last year I started after 3.1 and it got super congested really bad at about mile 4 or right before. I think being in Corral G was a big culprit...lots of people hitting walls while I was ready to get going. Maybe it'll be better this time.
I think I'll be better at running up that hill...it seems slightly less daunting now that I'm actively seeking out "little hills" in my neighborhood long runs. I still know it's possible it will suck but I'm gonna run up that sucker!

Ok so time goals.
A) 100% I will be disappointed if I don't best 50:02. I just will. Total honesty. Something starting with a 4 is my A goal.
B) Tempo pace for 8k = near 48min so I'll just put something with a 48 as my B goal
C) And then Billy put 46:12 on my spreadsheet as his prediction, so although that seems daunting at almost 4 min better than last year...I guess why shouldn't I at least put that as a super not so secret goal here?

I have not raced since my 15k last year. I've tempo-ed on a treadmill a ton, but not so much outdoors. I feel solid in my LRs and they are in the 10 range and so I feel like I should have no problem getting in to the 9's for the duration of my run.

Accuweather time!
53°HIRealFeel® 57°Precipitation 25%
Periods of clouds and sun

So my guess is that I'll be running in 40's temps and it could rain or not?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter