ROFR Thread April to June 2024 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

I wonder if you can negotiate FOR a 2m delayed closing. šŸ¤”šŸ¤£
That could actually be an interesting strategyā€¦ but there is no upside to the sellerā€¦. they get paid whether it gets ROFRā€™d or not.

Butā€¦. if no one is buying Poly resale because the price is too high or they donā€™t want to waist their time with ROFRā€¦. then it would actually be a benefit to the seller because it would increase the pool of buyersā€¦. šŸ¤”

That could actually be an interesting strategyā€¦ but there is no upside to the sellerā€¦. they get paid whether it gets ROFRā€™d or not.

Butā€¦. if no one is buying Poly resale because the price is too high or they donā€™t want to waist their time with ROFRā€¦. then it would actually be a benefit to the seller because it would increase the pool of buyersā€¦. šŸ¤”
Yeah, itā€™s absolutely not in sellerā€™s interest, especially as prices could drop any time in the next few monthsā€¦but buyer could offer a bigger deposit (increasing the penalty for walking away) and an extra few dollars per point. At this point prices are so high itā€™s probably not necessary (or reasonable!) but worth thinking about when resale drops below $165 if ROFR is still active.

Before I bought direct a few years ago, I first looked at some resale contracts as my initial gateway to the DVC drug. I found a great SSR contract that was perfectly sized, right use year, etc. Only downside was I purchased in April, but it couldn't close until after October 20-something. That was the longest 6 months ever, and I finally gave up in mid0August, kissed my deposit goodbye, and bought 150 SSR points direct.

I can't see any buyer, in their right mind, asking to wait that long... LOL.
Counterpointā€” last year I got a BCV resale contract with no 2023 points for $115ā€¦the delayed close months away but was still about 2 months before I could book the trip I wanted in my 2024 UY. I was a little nervous seller might back out after reading more here, but it worked out smoothly and I saved maybe $1500-2500 by waiting for points I couldnā€™t use yet anyway. Itā€™s obviously easier to pull off this strategy on a stripped contract and when you already own several hundred points.

Yeah, itā€™s absolutely not in sellerā€™s interest, especially as prices could drop any time in the next few monthsā€¦but buyer could offer a bigger deposit (increasing the penalty for walking away) and an extra few dollars per point. At this point prices are so high itā€™s probably not necessary (or reasonable!) but worth thinking about when resale drops below $165 if ROFR is still active.
Smartā€¦. very smartā€¦.

Counterpointā€” last year I got a BCV resale contract with no 2023 points for $115ā€¦the delayed close months away but was still about 2 months before I could book the trip I wanted in my 2024 UY. I was a little nervous seller might back out after reading more here, but it worked out smoothly and I saved maybe $1500-2500 by waiting for points I couldnā€™t use yet anyway. Itā€™s obviously easier to pull off this strategy on a stripped contract and when you already own several hundred points.
Yeah, there's still no way I'd do a delayed closing that far out, even with 1,000 points now.

While my contract they took in 2022 did not have a delayed closing, it had a closing date end of May, and Disney took it April 1st. They did not process and close the contract until that dateā€¦no rush to close .

So, while they may not necessarily want a delayed close contract, the experience I had with them as a seller leads me to believe a short delay may not be a big deterrent.

Everything has a priceā€¦. Letā€™s sayā€¦ $70pp fully loaded AUL 100pt in your UY with a 4m delayed closing?
Honestly? No.

I can get that contract at $100 PP or close thereto so the savings would be +/- $3k, but theyā€™d be holding on to my +/-$1k deposit for 4 months with no option for me to get out without losing that money and every opportunity for the seller to back out or some other issue to arise that would, at the absolute very best, just get me my money back. Plus, about 99% of the time delayed closings are due to existing reservations so that, and four months to bugger up the point count in some other way, is just not appealing to me. No matter how itā€™s represented, you have zero assurance that the points will be correct, and 100% confidence that the seller has another 120 days of control over the contract to screw it up. If delayed closings had a buyer back out clause that prorated the deposit refund, then maybe, but that would still be a hard sell.

Contrary to your earlier point, as I get more points, Iā€™m more inclined to pass on what I would call distressed contracts (stripped, delayed close, international seller, etc.) because I really donā€™t need those points so Iā€™d rather just continue casually looking for another similar contract in the intervening months.

Last edited:
Honestly? No.

I can get that contract at $100 PP or close thereto so the savings would be +/- $3k, but theyā€™d be holding on to my +/-$1k deposit for 4 months with no option for me to get out without losing that money and every opportunity for the seller to back out or some other issue to arise that would, at the absolute very best, just get me my money back. Plus, about 99% of the time delayed closings are due to existing reservations so that, and four months to bugger up the point count in some other way, is just not appealing to me. No matter how itā€™s represented, you have zero assurance that the points will be correct and 100% confidence that the seller has another 120 days of control over the contract. If delayed closings had a buyer back out clause that protested the deposit refund, then maybe, but that would still be a hard sell.

Contrary to your earlier point, as I get more points, Iā€™m more inclined to pass on what I would call distressed contracts (stripped, delayed close, international seller, etc.) because I really donā€™t need those points so Iā€™d rather just continue casually looking for another similar contract in the intervening months.
Completely fair.

Updated!

I had to skip a few because they weren't formatted correctly...sorry :(. I'd love to add all of them, so please use the tool on page 1 and repost, and I'll get you on there!
Apologies!

kailunkat---$160-$38720-242-PVB Fixed Week-Sep-0/22, 0/23, 0/24, 242/25-seller pays closing- sent 5/14, taken 5/23
kailunkat---$160-$38720-242-PVB Fixed Week-Sep-0/22, 0/23, 0/24, 242/25-seller pays closing- sent 5/14, taken 5/23

Apologies!

<AstroBlasters pours one out for @Kailunkat while a Sarah McLachlan song plays in the background>

#ROFR2024 Club

The delayed closing -interesting hack- might be good for seller when Disney is buying back and nobody wants to buy at the ROFR price... enough that ROFR kills demand.

... kinda like a couple of years ago there were pages of SSR contracts for sale ( always lots available I guess) ...seemed like "nobody" would bid on them because they were buying back in the $130s.

facebook twitter