Rock n Roller coaster launch

ellbell

DIS Veteran
I've been to Disney multiple times now and done all the rides except Rock n Roller coaster. I generally have no problem with most of the coasters and love EE. I'm avoiding because I'm worried about the launch. How bad is it? Is it worse than going backwards on EE? How long does the feeling from the launch last? Is there any way to avoid or lessen that feeling?

TIA for any input

You'll hear a wide range of experiences, but I think it's pretty intense. Rock N Roller coaster is the first time I've been on a LIM launched coaster, and the feeling of acceleration is sudden and thrilling and an adrenaline rush. The feeling only lasts a few seconds for me, but it's enough that going into the inversion doesn't even feel so intense afterwards.

As far as which is subjectively "worse," I'd say it's slightly "worse" than going backwards on EE the first time. But for many people, that feeling of "worse" eventually turns into a feeling of "awesome" which keeps them seeking out more and more thrill rides. After riding RNRC, I decided it was my favorite Disney coaster, until I rode EE, which is now firmly planted as my favorite.

I don't know that there's any way to avoid or lessen that feeling, except to embrace it and lean into it mentally. Put on a mindset that you're craving and gearing up for speed and want to go faster. For traditional rollercoasters with long trains, usually sitting in the back makes it a more thrilling ride and sitting in the front makes it tamer. It honestly doesn't matter as much on RNRC, because of the launch.

I don't think you can compare the two. EE going backwards in the dark kind of makes me feel dizzy and a bit motion sick for a couple seconds, whereas RnR launch gives you that stomach drop feeling for a few seconds. But that's just it, it's only a few seconds and then you're just laughing the rest of the time!

The anticipation is the problem...the actual launch just lasts seconds, so it really is over quickly and isn't bad. I recommend asking to sit in the very front car, it lessens the shock factor for me. I've learned to love the coaster, after intensely disliking it the first couple of times I rode it!

the ride is self is quick like 90 second- 2 minutes the launch is fast you do one loop and a corkscrew with in the first 10 seconds of the ride and latter one another corkscrew. if you do not like it the ride is over pretty fast can you handle something you do not like for about 2 minutes or can you not

The anticipation is the problem...the actual launch just lasts seconds, so it really is over quickly and isn't bad. I recommend asking to sit in the very front car, it lessens the shock factor for me. I've learned to love the coaster, after intensely disliking it the first couple of times I rode it!
I totally agree with this. Watching all of the guests in front of you load and then wait to launch, then finally take off really builds anticipation. I like it but I’m not sure everyone does!

I just made sure my head was back against the headrest and relaxed.

I didn't find it too intense nor did I feel the effects.

I was actually disappointed that I could never figure out when I was going upside down. I had never been on a coaster that went upside down and was looking forward to it.

You have to forcefully hold your head back or you’ll get a headache. I avoid it for this reason
This is what I'm worried about. I can handle all parts of most roller coasters and I'm fine on ToT, EE and have no issues with going upside down. I'm worried that the launch will make me sick. I've been on other launch coasters that don't go that fast on launch and love the coaster just hate the launch.

Like others have said I rest my head back, but I tilt it to hug the right head rest..............makes a big difference on the inversions.

Enjoy

I hate doing the ride, but I do it.

It is the damn anticipation that gets you.

Safe travels.

RNR is actually my favorite coaster at WDW. I am actually not a huge thrill ride person, so that is saying a lot. I do know that the front seats are the smoothest. From what I was told, the launch actually happens in the center of the car - so it feels more abrupt if you are seated there.

There are 2 things I tend to not enjoy - long fast drops (never been on ToT for that reason!) and roller coasters in general. But I love RNR!!!!! It's my favorite! It's so smooth compared to the others. Everyone has "their thing" they don't like, but if you can handle EE, I'd think you could handle RNR. EE is worse - I usually skip it. (And California Screaming in DL is the worst one by far! I think I actually saw stars on that one!)

I think if you focus just on the launch and those few downhill backwards seconds I'd say EE is more intense. RnR is intense but your body is used to feeling forward acceleration like when taking off on an airplane. It's fast and then you're into the coaster. If you can do EE I wouldn't hesitate a second on RnR.

You have to forcefully hold your head back or you’ll get a headache. I avoid it for this reason
This is what I'm worried about. I can handle all parts of most roller coasters and I'm fine on ToT, EE and have no issues with going upside down. I'm worried that the launch will make me sick. I've been on other launch coasters that don't go that fast on launch and love the coaster just hate the launch.

I've got to disagree with this. You do want your head back simply because just like with any acceleration, it's going to push your body (including your head) back. But you absolutely do not need to "forcefully" hold your head back - if anything it's the opposite. Just relax your head in the headrest and physics does the rest. What you don't want to do is forcefully try to keep your head forward!

Now - some people may say they want to press a little left or right against the head rest for the lateral forces that you'll get at various points in the ride but that's different from what you'll feel during the launch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!