Riviera Resale

I’ve heard it repeated often that the average ownership length of DVC is ten years. That does not seem to compute with only 10-20% of points being resale. I have no idea which statistic is reliable. I’m sure someone somewhere has figure it out.

I’ve heard it repeated often that the average ownership length of DVC is ten years. That does not seem to compute with only 10-20% of points being resale. I have no idea which statistic is reliable. I’m sure someone somewhere has figure it out.

Just remember, a set of points only has to be sold once to become resale points and that is when the original owner sells,

Once they do, no matter how many other owners buy those points, it doesn’t impact the percent of resale owners....just who the resale owner is,

For example, I sold BWV this year resale but also bought it resale, That sale did not impact that figure at all,

So, lots of owners may sell within 10 years or so, but the only ones that count are direct points.

Will they have to trade out RIV? Or can they trade out another resort like SSR for RIV resale owners? I have to admit, this is an angle I had not considered before.
The only option to RIV resale is to trade into RCI they cannot trade into another DVC resort

I would hope the Rivera resale buyer is educated in the restrictions and would only buy if the resort will work for them - they can always book 11 months out and have plenty of flexibility with dates. Otherwise why buy it at all to save a relatively few dollars vs. direct.

So many assumptions in this. Sandi covered most of what I was going to say but I'll add that the biggest assumption is that there's going to be some giant amount of resale owners. I believe most of the data I've seen on the boards points to just 10-20% of all points since the beginning, being resale - that's what, 30 years of DVC and only 20% max has been resold. It will be a very long time before RIV resales cause any issues with RCI and it may never happen - if the bottom falls out of the Riviera resale price, DVC will just take them back at ROFR and make them full benefit points again.

Also, I remember years ago trying to book a Dis resort with a friends RCI points. It was impossible to find anything during most of the year. Things may have changed now but we never bothered looking again after that annoying experience.
I have friends with other timeshares, and they have RCI, and they can never get into the DVC resorts when they want to.
They offered for us to go with them one year, and stay "right next"to Disney :goodvibes
They really don't appreciate the difference of being "on-property".

The resale restrictions don't bother me all that much, I actually enjoy the moonlight magic events and I believe they are payed for with money from direct purchases.

MM existed prior to resale restrictions, so I'm a bit confused how they help DVC continue having MM.

If MM even comes back, period.

Things have changed in terms of rci I think. One of my friends has never had a problem booking dvc with her rci over the last few years.

I actually enjoy the moonlight magic events and I believe they are payed for with money from direct purchases.
The MM events are paid for by Disney Vacation Development’s marketing budget, thus from profits from direct purchases. I didn’t want anyone unfamiliar with DVC to think they’re paid for by dues.

MM existed prior to resale restrictions, so I'm a bit confused how they help DVC continue having MM.

If MM even comes back, period.
All of the events I have been to they required the Blue Card. I'm not sure when they started the events, but I believe my first one was 2015.

Just my thoughts: The resale restrictions help Disney to reduce the amount of direct points out there and many times will take away another blue card from the club roster. With all the DVC resorts and direct points in circulation increasing, the blue card totals were getting too high. Disney probably welcomes the resales and wants them to rise. Taking back only the extreme low to maintain the integrity of the club and those for waitlist direct buyers. Now the extra restriction on Riviera and future locations is their plan for increasing the direct point sales. Think about this: As already a blue card member, would you buy Riviera direct, if the restriction was not there? I doubt it. You would buy a resale and save. This restriction will cause less Riviera resale purchases but more direct point purchases, selling it out at a faster pace. Those that don’t care about the blue card will still buy where they would like to stay. In this case, where they will stay. They will book Riviera early and enjoy their membership in the DVC, like all the rest of us.

Think about this: As already a blue card member, would you buy Riviera direct, if the restriction was not there? I doubt it. You would buy a resale and save.

That's not true it's hyperbole. I like many others with a blue card bought Riviera direct, myself because I could care less about the resale restrictions. Not everyone shares that view and that's what great about being an individual it's called choices.
I really can't believe the amount of people who keep crying about the resale restrictions just buy another resort they have more than one you know.

Think about this: As already a blue card member, would you buy Riviera direct, if the restriction was not there? I doubt it. You would buy a resale and save.

That's not true. There's always lots of discussion when a resort first opens about how buying direct is a fairly good deal, because the incentives are good and resale prices eventually outpace the opening direct price. I was one of many that planned to buy RIV direct until the resale restrictions came out. Notice I said I'd buy direct - not resale - and we are already blue card members. Now, I'm not buying it at all, direct or resale, period.

That's not true it's hyperbole. I like many others with a blue card bought Riviera direct, myself because I could care less about the resale restrictions. Not everyone shares that view and that's what great about being an individual it's called choices.
I really can't believe the amount of people who keep crying about the resale restrictions just buy another resort they have more than one you know.

I am with you! I had blue card and bought RIV too! I have never used resale value in all my decisions and RIV was no different.

We wanted RIV. I agree that while some here have no desire to own and feel it’s a bad choice, many of us don’t. I was a naysayer and changed my tune and after visiting the resort, I knew it was the place for me as my go to Epcot resort!

That's not true. There's always lots of discussion when a resort first opens about how buying direct is a fairly good deal, because the incentives are good and resale prices eventually outpace the opening direct price. I was one of many that planned to buy RIV direct until the resale restrictions came out. Notice I said I'd buy direct - not resale - and we are already blue card members. Now, I'm not buying it at all, direct or resale, period.

Of course when the resort is new and first goes on sale, the decisions are made to buy into it direct. I would have considered it too. Resale didn’t exist then. This is a point in time discussing Riviera resale. Resale contracts exist now. So the thoughts were focused on the now. Blue card members like Riviera so they are still buying it. That’s great. Without the restriction,,, would they? Or would more of them be buying resale? My opinion was they would be going resale now. Therefore Disney is getting what they want. More direct points purchasers.

Think you quoted my opinion into a different view point. The “restriction” in my quote was thoughts on where can use the points if buy a resale today.

I am with you! I had blue card and bought RIV too! I have never used resale value in all my decisions and RIV was no different.

We wanted RIV. I agree that while some here have no desire to own and feel it’s a bad choice, many of us don’t. I was a naysayer and changed my tune and after visiting the resort, I knew it was the place for me as my go to Epcot resort!
Really good for Epcot and pretty good for H.S. too! We did hit a pretty big back up going to H.S. at CBR station one morning. If we left .5 hr earlier I don't think it would have been any delay.

If that 10 years was from the beginning to current, both the 10 year average and the 10-20% resale points could be true, since every new direct purchase would push that average down.

@i<3riviera , in you hard drive full of data, do you have anything that would determine current percentage of resale points?

Things have changed in terms of rci I think. One of my friends has never had a problem booking dvc with her rci over the last few years.

That would be a big change, are there any other data points to support this?

Even if true today, buying RCI (or moving restricted RIV points to RCI) with the intention of using it on DVC would be very risky given the much longer history of it being near impossible to book DVC with RCI.

That would be a big change, are there any other data points to support this?

Even if true today, buying RCI (or moving restricted RIV points to RCI) with the intention of using it on DVC would be very risky given the much longer history of it being near impossible to book DVC with RCI.
I honestly do not know, I only can speak for my one friend who has RCI and never had a problem. I do not own RCI but am considering a Marriott purchase.

I honestly do not know, I only can speak for my one friend who has RCI and never had a problem. I do not own RCI but am considering a Marriott purchase.

I would be shocked to see RIV every go to RCI, I think it will continue to be SSR for the most part,

So, those that want RIV regularly, like any other DVC resort need to own either direct or resale points there,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter