Riviera Resale Price

This thread has been my favorite over the last few days. Next question in my potential path to buying RIV: how popular are they on the point rental market?

Depends on what you are looking for and how motivated the seller is to sell. There are more that pop up now than when I was looking last summer.

We knew how we would use the points…1 bedrooms for 2 nights each in January and February…so we wanted to stay around 125…this way we were not relying on banked points.

We also have them in our Dec UY which has VGF points which are good there as well so we won’t ever end up with stray points.

This thread has been my favorite over the last few days. Next question in my potential path to buying RIV: how popular are they on the point rental market?
I think there's demand since it's a new resort and newer resale owners can't book there. Since the tower studios are such low points they could probably go to $21-23/point (private rental). We had a week stay for this July (6 days in a standard studio and one day in a tower studio) that we had to cancel (expecting a baby in late July) that we put up for rent in a FB group for $19/point. Had around 30 people message me inquiring about renting those reservations. I thought I may have priced it too low (have since seen RIV rentals in the $20-21/pt range) and we never went through with the rental since we found availability for a 1BR in May so did a babymoon instead!

Riviera resale is such a lightning rod on these boards. It simply comes down to economics and personal preferences.
Well yeah, if the question is “should I buy riviera resale”. There hasn’t been a contract sold where I have thought “they’ll never make that back”; economically it’s a perfectly reasonable thing to do to buy Riviera resale now.

The Interesting question to me is “will riviera resale prices be lower in a year or two”, and I think the answer is yes.

But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t buy it now if you want it now and the math works for you now and you plan to use it for a long time, because you’ll lose two years of usage by waiting for two years. Whether to buy is a totally separate question from is it the best deal you could ever possibly get for it.

Well yeah, if the question is “should I buy riviera resale”. There hasn’t been a contract sold where I have thought “they’ll never make that back”; economically it’s a perfectly reasonable thing to do to buy Riviera resale now.

The Interesting question to me is “will riviera resale prices be lower in a year or two”, and I think the answer is yes.

But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t buy it now if you want it now and the math works for you now and you plan to use it for a long time, because you’ll lose two years of usage by waiting for two years. Whether to buy is a totally separate question from is it the best deal you could ever possibly get for it.

Exactly and doesn’t all DVC come down to that in the end?

I also wont be surprised to see RIV settle lower in a few years, but as long as DVD keeps the restrictions in place for VDH and Poly tower…and those are big unknowns…it may take longer than that.

It is a different product and for that reason alone, the buyer pool will always be smaller…but I personally find it amazing it didn’t tank from the start and three years in, still doing okay.

You could be right as people, who are financing their Riviera contracts, get closer to break even point instead of being underwater. However, on the flip side...what IF DVC decides to remove the resale restrictions? Suddenly the resale prices would surely rise significantly in that case. I agree the best time to buy is when you are ready, able and willing to get the deal that works best for your current situation.

I think there's demand since it's a new resort and newer resale owners can't book there. Since the tower studios are such low points they could probably go to $21-23/point (private rental). We had a week stay for this July (6 days in a standard studio and one day in a tower studio) that we had to cancel (expecting a baby in late July) that we put up for rent in a FB group for $19/point. Had around 30 people message me inquiring about renting those reservations. I thought I may have priced it too low (have since seen RIV rentals in the $20-21/pt range) and we never went through with the rental since we found availability for a 1BR in May so did a babymoon instead!
Super helpful, thanks (and congrats)!!

I think longterm Riviera resale prices will go up significantly as BC and BW resale prices become more and more difficult for most people to justify.

If you want the EPCOT area and are unwilling to buy BC or BW, Riviera restrictions will not look so bad. As others have said, people buy at Riviera to stay at Riviera.

Now watch Disney build something new in the EPCOT area and toss my whole theory out the window!

I think longterm Riviera resale prices will go up significantly as BC and BW resale prices become more and more difficult for most people to justify.

If you want the EPCOT area and are unwilling to buy BC or BW, Riviera restrictions will not look so bad. As others have said, people buy at Riviera to stay at Riviera.

Now watch Disney build something new in the EPCOT area and toss my whole theory out the window!

I hadn't even thought about that tradeoff once BCV/BWV get even closer to their expiration dates.

I’ve never been and am sure it’s a great resort but as a new buyer know that it’s limiting your availability substantially if you buy it resale. Since buying at BWV 6 years ago I’ve enjoyed staying at many resorts, including HHI away from Disneyworld. To be limited to just one resort (including a resort that is your absolute favorite) would be a big downgrade IMO. To me a Riviera resale owner ship would be much easier for someone who owns it in addition to other contracts and has the ability to stay at other resorts already. But to only be able to stay at one place? I feel like would be difficult.

I will say, it doesn't have to be quite so limiting. I'm checking in to Aulani this coming Saturday...
While I do own RIV direct points, I knew availability would be too limited if I waited till 7 months. (Sure enough, my room would have been gone at 7 months). So I had traded RIV points with an Aulani owner. He is getting Christmas at RIV, I'm getting this summer at Aulani.

So yes, RIV re-sale points are a bit limited compared to buying re-sale elsewhere. So I certainly wouldn't buy RIV re-sale as sleep around points. But if you just might want to occasionally try another resort, it's not that hard with a little leg work -- trade the points, or rent them out. I wouldn't want to do that often, but as long as your intent is to primarily stay at RIV, I wouldn't worry about the re-sale restriction.

But if they build anything new... it will almost certainly have the same restrictions.

If history is a guide, combined with basic math:
BCV/BWV re-sale prices will start declining in the near future, hitting 0 by the end of 2041.
RIV re-sale prices will increase for the next 25-30 years, before they start a similar decline.

I will say, it doesn't have to be quite so limiting. I'm checking in to Aulani this coming Saturday...
While I do own RIV direct points, I knew availability would be too limited if I waited till 7 months. (Sure enough, my room would have been gone at 7 months). So I had traded RIV points with an Aulani owner. He is getting Christmas at RIV, I'm getting this summer at Aulani.

So yes, RIV re-sale points are a bit limited compared to buying re-sale elsewhere. So I certainly wouldn't buy RIV re-sale as sleep around points. But if you just might want to occasionally try another resort, it's not that hard with a little leg work -- trade the points, or rent them out. I wouldn't want to do that often, but as long as your intent is to primarily stay at RIV, I wouldn't worry about the re-sale restriction.
That’s great. Are there tax implications when you trade points? Also can you trade them prior to 7 months? That would cool to get booking priority at a different resort.

If history is a guide, combined with basic math:
BCV/BWV re-sale prices will start declining in the near future, hitting 0 by the end of 2041.
Relative to the other resorts, BWV, BRV, and OKW have already seen steep declines in price. And then of course the next two cheapest resorts after those three are the ones that expire in the 2050s.

Beach Club prices are the only ones really in La La land, with no clear tie to the underlying cash price of the resort and years left.

I wonder if prices will actually hit zero or if there will be some residual value for a refund of any unspent renovation funds.

There are certainly a lot of strong opinions on the DIS related to the restrictions on resale points at the Riviera. Very strong, indeed. So far, seems to me that Riviera resale contracts are certainly holding better value than many thought would happen. There are certainly outliers in the resale world, but that is true with nearly every resort, so nothing too unusual there. I predict, with no crystal ball, magic 8-ball, or Tarot cards handy, that Riv resale prices will continue to track in line with the general flow of DVC resale across the other resorts.

Riviera isn't for everyone, and that's okay, but the restrictions seemingly haven't had much of an impact.

Just wait until DVC doubles down on the restrictions game with VDH and Poly Tower. That'll really fire up the chatter here on DIS :)

It boggles my mind that people pay north of $150/pt given the restrictions along with the very point rich point chart. I was given the RIV presentation by DVC and while I thought the resort is beautiful the overall value stinks.
You’re looking at it from a new owner perspective. For people that already own lots of points and love Riviera, it makes sense. They don’t need the flexibility of booking other resorts because that’s what they have the other points for. $150 is pricey, but it is still cheaper than going direct.

Would most people purchase resale Riviera? Probably not, but right now there’s a market for it.

We’ll see how it holds up once more people want to get out of their Riviera contracts and people that have lots of points and love Riviera have already gotten their points. Eg, an increase in supply and a lowering of demand.

Even 118 seems high to me given that resale Copper Creek contracts are listed as low as 156.

Riviera has larger rooms in every category, doesn't have the studio shortage of CCV, is closer to Epcot, is only resort after 2042 around Epcot and has the Skyliner to 2x parks instead of a boat to 1x park.

So it's fine if you think it's high but in reality many people buy to stay at one location. Most BCV, BWV, VGC are all purchased only to stay at one resort.

If you were making a realistic bid for a Riviera contract, what price point would you be looking at?

Cant really say but I personally would expect to get a contract under $140 if I wanted the points soon. Maybe $125-$130 if I was willing to keep waiting and putting in offers.

Even if you buy direct, I feel like it will become a booking nightmare as more and more resale owners are out there

Roughly 1% year over year flip to resale. It will take a long time and in 2042 the majority of resorts will be restricted likely.

The risk is there though if you have a only 1 week to go and only can do a standard studio.

If you have flexibility, are fine with preferred or even 1br you likely won't run in to issues at 11 months.

Some loss of flexibility though because you don't have places like SSR, OKW, and AKV to book at 3/4/5 months out from your stay. So you might need to be okay renting out/transferring your points some times and possibly getting point transfers from someone else.

Ive stayed at RIV and own there too

I have to say it is an outstanding Resort Hotel. More luxurious in my view than even VGF.

The rooms are simply beautifully appointed and to watch EPCOT fireworks at night.

I even got into Topolinos and watched the fireworks from the roof with the music piped in.

Yes, the resale restrictions are a pain, but its simply a stunning resort.

Relative to the other resorts, BWV, BRV, and OKW have already seen steep declines in price. And then of course the next two cheapest resorts after those three are the ones that expire in the 2050s.

Beach Club prices are the only ones really in La La land, with no clear tie to the underlying cash price of the resort and years left.

I wonder if prices will actually hit zero or if there will be some residual value for a refund of any unspent renovation funds.

They will hit zero… when there isn’t even time to complete the transaction prior to contract expiration.

That’s great. Are there tax implications when you trade points? Also can you trade them prior to 7 months? That would cool to get booking priority at a different resort.

Like renting points, it’s not a literal trade. You’re booking a reservation for someone else, they are booking for you.

For me, I made the arrangements more than a year in advance. At the 11 month mark, Aulani owner made a 280 point reservation for me. Then a couple months later, I made an 11 month mark 260 point reservation for him at RIV. And per our agreement, I sent him some cash to cover the 20 point difference.

It’s not super complex. It’s not guaranteed or super simple so I wouldn’t buy restricted RIV points expecting to trade them 90% of the time. But you can certainly keep that as a tool to occasionally flip to another resort. Works well for trading between a WDW DVC and a non-WDW.

I have to admit I was totally off on my predictions regarding BCV. I anticipated by 2021/22 that resale prices would plummet to the 120/130 range given the 20 years of useful life but I guess the one variable I didn’t account for was the irrationalness of the consumer. The fact that there are STILL people buying direct BCV points at over $200 a point is lunacy. Maybe the upcoming recession will be the catalyst to bring BCV points back to a fair market value?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!