Riviera Resale Price

I think Riviera resale can be a good deal for people who are good at managing their points. Pretty sure I wouldn't be banking them very often though; borrowing could be a little tricky as well.
Huh?

What's the issue with banking or borrowing a RIV resale? Works like any other contract for banking/borrowing, I thought.

Huh?

What's the issue with banking or borrowing a RIV resale? Works like any other contract for banking/borrowing, I thought.
If you bank the points into the next use year and have an issue being able to use them in the owners window you may have trouble using them. Riviera already seems to be booked up 7 months out, especially SV rooms.

Do you mean if resale prices get low enough? You wouldn’t have restrictions if you buy direct.

Many people won’t buy them because if they have to sell they worry they will sell for less on the resale market.

But, for as long as you own them, direct points work every where so the only impact is when you sell.

If you bank the points into the next use year and have an issue being able to use them in the owners window you may have trouble using them. Riviera already seems to be booked up 7 months out, especially SV rooms.
Oh, okay. I see what you meant now. Thanks.

Maybe I will get to stay at RIV someday then... I'm sure everyone who paid for the totally exclusive RIV will be thrilled at my dirty, resale SSR points in your halls.

The entire schtick of the resale restrictions was exclusivity. Exclusivity from people like me. That was the point. Reversing it would be insane to me, but DVC has made many decisions that I would have put money on not happening.
Owners didn't lobby for the restrictions. Exclusivity is a motivating factor for few, if any, buyers. If anyone is perpetuating the stigma of "dirty resale SSR points" it's you.

Do you mean if resale prices get low enough? You wouldn’t have restrictions if you buy direct.
Yes, I understand but thanks for pointing that out. We already have direct blue card and multiple resale contracts. $100 RIV resale we'd be in with restrictions. If we bought direct, it's to add to what we leave for our adult son and DIL who we meet at WDW. In the end, we'll likely wait for Poly2 as we all agree that is best for our travel style. Hopefully, it won't be restricted but we won't know for some time, sigh. I want one of each LOL! :drive:

Hi. I'm not a DVC owner..... yet,..... but seriously considering a purchase of Riviera on the resale market. I fully understand that the purchase will mean that I will only be able to stay at the Riviera, unless Disney changes their policy at some point. I'm curious what people who own DVC contracts think the value of these points truly are. I've been reading the ROFR reports and see that the lowest accepted offer was $118 per point, though not sure if Disney will allow this to pass. Even 118 seems high to me given that resale Copper Creek contracts are listed as low as 156. If you were making a realistic bid for a Riviera contract, what price point would you be looking at?

Also, is it unrealistic to think Disney might undo the resale restrictions at some point?

And Happy Father's day to the fellow fathers out there.
I wouldn’t buy resale if that’s your only contract. I would buy direct. Most people that buy Riviera resale already have points to stay elsewhere, so the restrictions don’t mean much to them. My guess is that they are also willing to pay more for the resale contract because it’s a cost saving anyway over direct (even if it’s not a great value considering restrictions).

If this is your only contract, on the other hand, the restrictions will affect you much more. You’ll be missing out on much more than others.

You should also be sure that’s the Resort that you want to stay at more than any others. Grand Floridian also has good deals.

We weren’t going to purchase any Riviera points initially, as most of our points are qualified to be used there, but we picked up a very nice resale deal last fall and don’t regret it for a moment. We absolutely love the resort and have already reaped the benefits of the 11-month window by booking the Standard views and the Tower studio for solo trips. The bottom line is that if you’re looking to stretch your “booking power” by being able to book Standard and Tower options, you’re probably going to need the 11-month window, so that’s a calculation that might be a good idea to do in your planning phase.

That being said, if it was your very first contract…I would echo the suggestion to purchase direct and take advantage of the benefits and incentives so that you are not limiting yourself to a single resort right off the bat. I guarantee you will want to try them all, and purchasing the resort with the most severe restrictions sounds like an exercise in frustration once you start staying as a DVC member and wonder how the other resorts compare.

I'd need RIV to be substantially cheaper than SSR. I actually think that could happen, but not soon.
This has been my expectation all along; that Riviera would settle in the OKW-SSR range. It’s a very large resort in terms of points that isn’t walkable to anything (yes I know about the Skyliner) and has a very steep point chart. And then the restrictions.

I agree with those who said $118 is an outlier - now - but just remember that $140 was a lowball outlier 6 months ago and look what happened since then. I think we have only just begun to see what the real range of Riviera resale pricing will be.

I think the idea they’ll peel back the resale restrictions for already sold contracts is a fantasy. Why would they?

This has been my expectation all along; that Riviera would settle in the OKW-SSR range. It’s a very large resort in terms of points that isn’t walkable to anything (yes I know about the Skyliner) and has a very steep point chart. And then the restrictions.

I agree with those who said $118 is an outlier - now - but just remember that $140 was a lowball outlier 6 months ago and look what happened since then. I think we have only just begun to see what the real range of Riviera resale pricing will be.

I think the idea they’ll peel back the resale restrictions for already sold contracts is a fantasy. Why would they?

The restrictions are part of the POS. So any removal will apply to the entire resort as it’s all one association

It’s the same reason why VGF couldn’t put them in BPK. It was the same resort.

So, all points have to be restricted or none of them can have them.

In terms of resale value later on? All depends on if DVD keeps them for future resorts. If they do, then RIV won’t be unique.

Last edited:
It boggles my mind that people pay north of $150/pt given the restrictions along with the very point rich point chart. I was given the RIV presentation by DVC and while I thought the resort is beautiful the overall value stinks.

It boggles my mind that people pay north of $150/pt given the restrictions along with the very point rich point chart. I was given the RIV presentation by DVC and while I thought the resort is beautiful the overall value stinks.

Its the same reason you have people paying in the $160s now for BCV with 19 years left. They love the resort.

Many of us simply love this resort and it was worth it to pay what we paid.

I certainly get it’s not for everyone. But, I also think DVC is too much money to have a favorite and not buy it

In terms of points, it’s really all relative to what one wants. A week in September in a SV studio at RIV is only 7 points more than a Savannah view at AKV.

So, it is certainly possible to stay and enjoy RIV..if it’s where one wants to be..for a nominal difference in points compared to other places.

For some, like me, it’s well worth it. For others, it would not be. But that is what makes DVC so great!

Last edited:
Its the same reason you have people paying in the $160s now for BCV with 19 years left. They love the resort.

Many of us simply love this resort and it was worth it to pay what we paid.

I certainly get it’s not for everyone. But, I also think DVC is too much money to have a favorite and not buy it

In terms of points, it’s really all relative to what one wants. A week in September in a SV studio at RIV is only 7 points more than a Savannah view at AKV.

So, it is certainly possible to stay and enjoy RIV..if it’s where one wants to be..for a nominal difference in points compared to other places.

For some, like me, it’s well worth it. For others, it would not be. But that is what makes DVC so great!
Apples and oranges.

I totally agree with your take on BCV regarding the 19 years of useful life. But at least with a BCV (or any other resale outside of RIV) you can also book other resorts in the 7 month window. I couldn’t imagine my frustration if the week I wanted to use my RIV points was booked and I’d have no other options to use my points.

Hadn't thought about that, but one more reason to be wary.

This 100%.
Apples and oranges.

I totally agree with your take on BCV regarding the 19 years of useful life. But at least with a BCV (or any other resale outside of RIV) you can also book other resorts in the 7 month window. I couldn’t imagine my frustration if the week I wanted to use my RIV points was booked and I’d have no other options to use my points.
To me, places like BCV and VGC have de facto resale restrictions. Sure you have the option to use them at other places, but it would be foolish to do so based on availability at those resorts. So not so much apples and oranges, maybe lemons and limes?

Strictly speaking from the point of view of those who buy resale BCV and VGC, I'm aware that original/direct owners have gotten value from their BCV contracts and wouldn't be as "wasteful" to use BCV/VGC points elsewhere. But resale owners for BCV/VGC don't buy them to use at other resorts and I'd guess that they would rather bank or rent out their points at a premium rather than use them elsewhere.

Apples and oranges.

Of course BCV has trading ability but people are paying a lot of money to own there because it’s where they want to stay..not because it trades out.

It’s the same with RIV. People like me who love it are willing to have one resort only points.

Now I agree that anyone buying will have to book early and have less flexibility if you have to change a trip. May have to understand you may end up with PV some of the time. But again, those is buying know that..

It’s not a product for everyone, no question. about that. But for those of us that stay every trip anyway? It works!

Last edited:
Apples and oranges.

That is a very real concern and one we've considered. Talk about painting yourself into the corner of a room!

Riviera resale is such a lightning rod on these boards. It simply comes down to economics and personal preferences. My family absolutely loves the resort, the skyliner and the walk around Barefoot Bay Lake. After we purchased 400 direct pts in 2019 and got to experience staying in 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom grand villas, it made sense for us to add additional pts via the resale market. We added 412 resale pts in 2020 and currently have 2 more contracts going through ROFR (150 pts and 160 pts). The deals that we have gotten in resale combined with the flexibility of the direct pts just makes good economical sense for us and gives us the extra pts needed for larger/longer stays. I understand that there are many people who either don't like the resort, location or the resale restrictions...and while I may disagree with their opinions.... I respect them and can understand their point of view. That is exactly what makes DVC and these boards so great!:-)

This thread has been my favorite over the last few days. Next question in my potential path to buying RIV: how popular are they on the point rental market?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter