Riviera Resale Price

VDH and Poly will increase acceptance of the restrictions, because otherwise what you going to do? That's the system now and resisting it becomes an exercise in futility. I don't love them but I understand why the company wants them. Once that's achieved the future of DVC looks a bit different and resale prices will adjust accordingly. In this context I think Riviera will do fine on the resale market. The market is likely to trend to "buy where you want to stay" and so small contracts will be the most desirable as owners hold a couple of home resorts. I am already doing that. I have no intention of using any of my three home resorts anywhere else. That's why I bought them.

I’ll never understand why the idea of “buy where you want to stay” doesn’t extend to RIV for some people. I get that it’s the only resort with restrictions right now, but to argue person’s purchase on something they wanted is somehow a bad decision seems like bad taste. Not every DVC purchase is a financial investment for profit.

I’ll never understand why the idea of “buy where you want to stay” doesn’t extend to RIV for some people. I get that it’s the only resort with restrictions right now, but to argue person’s purchase on something they wanted is somehow a bad decision seems like bad taste. Not every DVC purchase is a financial investment for profit.

I do think it can be hard for others to imagine how someone can be okay with one resort, even though many people do in fact self impose that on themselves other places.

But, there is the loss of trading and even with self restricting, one can use them elsewhere if they had to.

On the other hand, I have a hard time imagining how someone can spend so much money on DVC, and not buy RIV when that is what they want, simply because it has restrictions.

While resale value is something that DVC has at a much higher rate than most timeshares, the notion that if you can’t make money on your purchase, then it’s bad boggles my mind probably just as much as it does others who think buying RIV direct or resale is a bad idea

In the end, I do think that restrictions are here to stay and that in 20 years, when more resorts have them, RIV resale value will be in line with the rest of them and the days of selling for more will simply be over.

In the meantime, people should buy RIV resale if they want to stay there but should also understand how important it will be to book early and be flexible if it is all one owns.

As much as I love RIV, and don’t really care about the restrictions, if someone does and can’t get past it, then It’s not the right resort to have.

I have said already I would venture to guess that most RIV resale owners do have other points that allows them to trade and like me, even have other unrestricted points that can be used at RIV at 7 months to ensure they don’t end up losing points.

Last edited:
I do think it can be hard for others to imagine how someone can be okay with one resort, even though many people do in fact self impose that on themselves other places.

But, there is the loss of trading and even with self restricting, one can use them elsewhere if they had to.

On the other hand, I have a hard time imagining how someone can spend so much money on DVC, and not buy RIV when that is what they want, simply because it has restrictions.

While resale value is something that DVC has at a much higher rate than most timeshares, the notion that if you can’t make money on your purchase, then it’s bad boggles my mind probably just as much as it does others who think buying RIV direct or resale is a bad idea

In the end, I do think that restrictions are here to stay and that in 20 years, when more resorts have them, RIV resale value will be in line with the rest of them and the days of selling for more will simply be over.

In the meantime, people should buy RIV resale if they want to stay there but should also understand how important it will be to book early and be flexible if it is all one owns.

As much as I love RIV, and don’t really care about the restrictions, if someone does and can’t get past it, then It’s not the right resort to have.

I have said already I would venture to guess that most RIV resale owners do have other points that allows them to trade and like me, even have other unrestricted points that can be used at RIV at 7 months to ensure they don’t end up losing points.
Well written and agree

I bought Old Key West in 1993 when nobody could be sure if there would be other resorts. Have never regretted it, and would have been happy to stay there exclusively the last 30 years. Sure, having the option to "sleep around" is nice. But if you are buying at a place you really like, why not? I never bought with the idea of selling either. My son is now 37, and we still enjoy it and can do so with our grandsons now. When my OKW and BWV contracts end in 2042, I will ride off into the sunset with 50 years of wonderful memories.

I want to add the restrictions kept me away from direct, regret not buying when they had the massive incentive early covid, almost bought last year, but resale restrictions stopped it. I am waiting patiently on the sidelines for resale in a price range I like. More likely will buy resale there in the next year or two I have found I usually use my points at their home resorts.

Riviera is our favorite resort and we have 175 points direct and purchased another 125 resale in 2021...those were $152/point. We stay there each and every trip as part of a split stay and do own other points as well so we have the best of all worlds.

I think anything you are getting from $130 to $150 is a great deal for the resort. IMO, the reason you are seeing it sell for as high as it is is because people really do love the resort and are okay having points for limited to just there.

I would venture a guess that most resale buyers have other points, like me, to trade to other places when they want. None of us know if the average will stay as high as it is long term, and many of us, including myself, are surprised as we predicted it would be much lower when it was first announced. But, the resort sells itself and plenty of buyers out there who are willing to overlook the restrictions because they do want to stay there...of course, plenty who refused to buy because of them as well.

As you know, because they can only be used at RIV, be sure you are ready to commit to early booking, like 11 months, to ensure the best chance of getting what you want. Even now, SV rooms are really popular and go quickly.

In terms of the restrictions and a move away from them by DVD? It is certainly an option that they built into the contracts, but IMO, I would be surprised to see them move away from them long term.

As mentioned, there have been some that have been sold at a lower price point because DVD doesn't take resorts in active sales, so you very well could find a seller who needs to sell for less and in that case, it will be a steal!!!
Hello --
I am new here and I also do not have a DVC contract yet.
What is the purpose of buying from Direct except to get discounts on Park Tickets, Free Parking, Cruises/Adventures and Disney Merchandise?

Thank you!

Hello --
What is the purpose of buying from Direct except to get discounts on Park Tickets, Free Parking, Cruises/Adventures and Disney Merchandise?

Thank you!
No discounted park tickets, only access to the an extra tier of APs that are only made available to Florida residents, but even those aren't available right now.

Biggest difference, besides the perks, is that your points are unrestricted and can be used at any of the DVC resorts. Current non-RIV resale contracts can only be used at any of the current resorts besides Riviera and Riviera resale contracts can ONLY be used at Riviera.

Hello --

Thank you!

It depends if you are talking about buying RIV direct specifically or buying DVC direct more broadly. For RIV specifically, buying direct allows you to use your points at any DVC hotel. But if you buy RIV through resale, you can only use those points at RIV.

Hello --

Thank you!
Direct purchasers do not typically get discounts on park tickets, cruises or ABD (save for the rare one off promo), and all DVC members get free parking at DVC resorts and, when they are staying on site, at the parks, regardless of how they purchased.

Buying direct - for now - gives you access to special events, access to Annual Passes that are otherwise for Florida residents only, and the ability to use your points at any future DVC resort (resale contracts are limited to usage at the first 14 resorts, except Riviera, which is limited to Riviera only). It’s also easier and faster.

Hello --

Thank you!
Direct versus resale does not impact parking (always free when staying on points at resort and parks).
Direct (150 pts) get you member benefits - discount on AP when being sold, merch, some food, member events, DVC lounge

Except when it comes to Riviera - Riviera has resale restrictions on stays.

Resale points bought at Riviera can only be used there. You can't stay at any of the other resorts (Legacy 14)
Resale points at the other resorts (L14) are usable at any of the L14, but not at RIV.
Direct points from any of the resorts are usable at all the resorts.

Hello --

Thank you!

Many have answered. The biggest difference right now is that all direct points are good everywhere and in the future at all resorts.

Resale points are not. The changes that DVD has made to where points can be used, the ones in 2019 and in 2011, have always grandfathered owners.

Same with changes to membership extras. Owning at least 150 points bought today give you the ability to be eligible for those, whatever they are. Resale today blocks you from there.

Since perks are not guaranteed, there are none they must offer, they don’t have to offer for free, etc. But those who buy from DVD at least have the ability to qualify. Resale owners since 2016 do not.

So it really does come down to how comfortable you are with having a contract good at only the O14 resorts.

Also being comfortable with potentially being kept out of VDH and Poly tower and any other future resorts that are blocked from resale. This could even include the 2042 resorts in 19 years if DVC decides to restrict them.

We love RIV and want to be eligible for perks when or if they exist. We don’t want to be locked out of any future resorts.

Anything can change in the future, but all of DVDs changes to the program have been about restricting resale points. They have never done anything to restrict the use of points bought through them and it would make no sense to do say.

Even with what happened with RIV, owners like me with direct points get to use them in the same exact way as we can with other direct points.

Personally, even if I didn’t care about RIV or future,I would want the savings for resale to be higher than it is for some of the resorts to give up the pros of direct.

Hello --

Thank you!

In addition to all the other things mentioned, there is also ease of purchase:
If you decide to buy direct, with rare exceptions, you can always get a double-point loaded contrast. (So if I doubt a new contract direct now through Disney for an October use year, I would immediately get 2021 points and I'd get 2022 points loaded in 3 months... so starting right away with double points). Re-sale contracts are variable.. some may be double points, others may not have any points for 2 years.
When purchasing direct, you IMMEDIATELY get those points loaded into your account. Sign the papers on June 22nd at noon.... have the points ready to start booking on June 22nd at 1:00 p.m.

On the other hand, if I wanted to buy re-sale -- first, hunt for a contract you want. Then make an offer through a broker. Haggle the price back and forth. Sign the papers. Wait for the selling party to sell the papers.. this can take days or weeks. Then, after all the paperwork is signed, wait another 6-8 weeks for the contract to clear Disney's ROFR -- And Disney could refuse the contract. So 8-12 weeks after you first made the offer, you might be back to square one, having to re-start the entire process.

I dare say that the ease of direct purchase has some not-insignificant value. Not saying the ease is worth paying another 30%. But for me, it would likely be worth paying another 5-10%. (and the perks, the unrestricted use of current and future resorts, etc... that all makes it worth 30% to me).

In addition to all the other things mentioned, there is also ease of purchase:
If you decide to buy direct, with rare exceptions, you can always get a double-point loaded contrast. (So if I doubt a new contract direct now through Disney for an October use year, I would immediately get 2021 points and I'd get 2022 points loaded in 3 months... so starting right away with double points). Re-sale contracts are variable.. some may be double points, others may not have any points for 2 years.
When purchasing direct, you IMMEDIATELY get those points loaded into your account. Sign the papers on June 22nd at noon.... have the points ready to start booking on June 22nd at 1:00 p.m.

On the other hand, if I wanted to buy re-sale -- first, hunt for a contract you want. Then make an offer through a broker. Haggle the price back and forth. Sign the papers. Wait for the selling party to sell the papers.. this can take days or weeks. Then, after all the paperwork is signed, wait another 6-8 weeks for the contract to clear Disney's ROFR -- And Disney could refuse the contract. So 8-12 weeks after you first made the offer, you might be back to square one, having to re-start the entire process.

I dare say that the ease of direct purchase has some not-insignificant value. Not saying the ease is worth paying another 30%. But for me, it would likely be worth paying another 5-10%. (and the perks, the unrestricted use of current and future resorts, etc... that all makes it worth 30% to me).
THIS! I just finished my direct purchase (RIV!) and it took 5 days (including the weekend) from initial outreach to points in my account. And I already have a trip booked with them!

THIS! I just finished my direct purchase (RIV!) and it took 5 days (including the weekend) from initial outreach to points in my account. And I already have a trip booked with
Disney is inentionally delaying closing and transfer of points on resales since they can not compete on price. Instead of adding services or increasing value they chose to use sales tactics and fear to support the price.

Disney is inentionally delaying closing and transfer of points on resales since they can not compete on price. Instead of adding services or increasing value they chose to use sales tactics and fear to support the price.
I have been told that they actually have separate division of MA devoted to processing direct sales which makes perfect sense.

Every business spends more money to support their own clients

Resale buyers are not DVDs clients. Again, don’t buy direct if it’s not worth it for you, but for many of us, it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter