Riviera Resale Price

Floridian From Afar

Earning My Ears
Hi. I'm not a DVC owner..... yet,..... but seriously considering a purchase of Riviera on the resale market. I fully understand that the purchase will mean that I will only be able to stay at the Riviera, unless Disney changes their policy at some point. I'm curious what people who own DVC contracts think the value of these points truly are. I've been reading the ROFR reports and see that the lowest accepted offer was $118 per point, though not sure if Disney will allow this to pass. Even 118 seems high to me given that resale Copper Creek contracts are listed as low as 156. If you were making a realistic bid for a Riviera contract, what price point would you be looking at?

Also, is it unrealistic to think Disney might undo the resale restrictions at some point?

And Happy Father's day to the fellow fathers out there.

Once sold out, it will be interesting to see the prices at which Disney will ROFR Riviera. My guess is that Disney would have taken the $118.
If I was interested in Riviera resale, I would buy before the resort sells out. I've lost 5 out of 8 contracts to the ROFR monster and the 3 that passed had international sellers.

Disney is not currently exercising ROFR on Riviera due to it still being sold direct. So no worry about having your resale contract taken.

I think anything under $150 is a steal in comparison to the cost of other comparable resale properties.

It makes most sense to buy Riviera if you are wanting an EPCOT area resort and also own at other resorts. I understand the concern about buying resale if it were to be someone's only resort. That would be limiting.

Happy Fathers Day!

Last edited:
Riviera is our favorite resort and we have 175 points direct and purchased another 125 resale in 2021...those were $152/point. We stay there each and every trip as part of a split stay and do own other points as well so we have the best of all worlds.

I think anything you are getting from $130 to $150 is a great deal for the resort. IMO, the reason you are seeing it sell for as high as it is is because people really do love the resort and are okay having points for limited to just there.

I would venture a guess that most resale buyers have other points, like me, to trade to other places when they want. None of us know if the average will stay as high as it is long term, and many of us, including myself, are surprised as we predicted it would be much lower when it was first announced. But, the resort sells itself and plenty of buyers out there who are willing to overlook the restrictions because they do want to stay there...of course, plenty who refused to buy because of them as well.

As you know, because they can only be used at RIV, be sure you are ready to commit to early booking, like 11 months, to ensure the best chance of getting what you want. Even now, SV rooms are really popular and go quickly.

In terms of the restrictions and a move away from them by DVD? It is certainly an option that they built into the contracts, but IMO, I would be surprised to see them move away from them long term.

As mentioned, there have been some that have been sold at a lower price point because DVD doesn't take resorts in active sales, so you very well could find a seller who needs to sell for less and in that case, it will be a steal!!!

I’ve never been and am sure it’s a great resort but as a new buyer know that it’s limiting your availability substantially if you buy it resale. Since buying at BWV 6 years ago I’ve enjoyed staying at many resorts, including HHI away from Disneyworld. To be limited to just one resort (including a resort that is your absolute favorite) would be a big downgrade IMO. To me a Riviera resale owner ship would be much easier for someone who owns it in addition to other contracts and has the ability to stay at other resorts already. But to only be able to stay at one place? I feel like would be difficult.

Last edited:
Riviera is our favorite resort and we have 175 points direct and purchased another 125 resale in 2021...those were $152/point. We stay there each and every trip as part of a split stay and do own other points as well so we have the best of all worlds.

I think anything you are getting from $130 to $150 is a great deal for the resort. IMO, the reason you are seeing it sell for as high as it is is because people really do love the resort and are okay having points for limited to just there.

I would venture a guess that most resale buyers have other points, like me, to trade to other places when they want. None of us know if the average will stay as high as it is long term, and many of us, including myself, are surprised as we predicted it would be much lower when it was first announced. But, the resort sells itself and plenty of buyers out there who are willing to overlook the restrictions because they do want to stay there...of course, plenty who refused to buy because of them as well.

As you know, because they can only be used at RIV, be sure you are ready to commit to early booking, like 11 months, to ensure the best chance of getting what you want. Even now, SV rooms are really popular and go quickly.

In terms of the restrictions and a move away from them by DVD? It is certainly an option that they built into the contracts, but IMO, I would be surprised to see them move away from them long term.

As mentioned, there have been some that have been sold at a lower price point because DVD doesn't take resorts in active sales, so you very well could find a seller who needs to sell for less and in that case, it will be a steal!!!

DVD needs to hire you for RIV direct sales. You’ve been making me really consider a contract there over the past few weeks given the new incentives 😂

DVD needs to hire you for RIV direct sales. You’ve been making me really consider a contract there over the past few weeks given the new incentives 😂

LOL. When it was first announced, I was a big naysayer! I said I would not only never buy there, but resale? Not even for $50/point!! Well...then I fell in love with the resort and in the end, I realized that it really is perfect and worth it.

We never bought in with resale value as part of the equation...it always was seen as a bonus...and to be fair, with the amount of times I have bought and sold, I have benefited. But, in the end, I found the perfect resorts...RIV and VGF...and if I had to be stuck at RIV as the only place...I would be perfectly content and happy.

But, I will add that if someone is really bothered by the restrictions, and its not a favorite, then there are plenty of other choices!

I think your POV makes total sense, especially as an Epcot-based resort. We didn’t stay there, but my sister and I had drinks and hung out in the library area last year. It was so nice and relaxing! Would be the perfect last-leg of a trip to unwind at.

I can give some insight into some of the resales for RIV because we were trying to get one for about 2 weeks when these incentives started. That $118/pt is an outlier. We bid on 5 different contracts in the 150-300 pt range, and not one of them entertained us or would counter back. 3 of contracts were financed and sellers didn’t want to go lower because they didn’t want to put up money at closing, which one broker stated is the case with many RIV resale contracts. For me anything over $120/pt is not worth it for the point range we are looking at given the current incentives. So while they’re not ROFRing any RIV right now, it’ll be hard to get a good deal unless they need a really quick sale and/or aren’t in a situation where they financed/need to bring money at closing.

This thread got me looking at contracts again this morning and I saw a 100pt contract (62 left for 2022 UY) at $128/pt. It was labeled “new” but was told there was already an accepted offer and outstanding docs when I asked a question about it. 🤔

I can give some insight into some of the resales for RIV because we were trying to get one for about 2 weeks when these incentives started. That $118/pt is an outlier. We bid on 5 different contracts in the 150-300 pt range, and not one of them entertained us or would counter back. 3 of contracts were financed and sellers didn’t want to go lower because they didn’t want to put up money at closing, which one broker stated is the case with many RIV resale contracts. For me anything over $120/pt is not worth it for the point range we are looking at given the current incentives. So while they’re not ROFRing any RIV right now, it’ll be hard to get a good deal unless they need a really quick sale and/or aren’t in a situation where they financed/need to bring money at closing.
I bought a riviera resale at $138/pt and they refused to go lower even with half of the points for 2022 so I definitely agree that the $118/pt is an outlier!

3 of contracts were financed and sellers didn’t want to go lower because they didn’t want to put up money at closing, which one broker stated is the case with many RIV resale contracts.
This is a significant factor to be aware of with a newer resort. Even if not financed, most sellers are not willing to take a sizable loss after just 2-3 years.

June 2020--in the thick of the pandemic--DVC sold 200 riviera points for $160 each. That's the lowest ever rate at that contract size. Offering $120 is asking even the lowest-price buyer to take a $40 per point loss in 2 years.

Short of desperation, sellers are better off renting points while holding out for a better offer or improvement in the marketplace.

We toured RIV a few weeks ago and also fell in love with the resort! We still don't love the restrictions, but might learn to live with them if direct prices get low enough. The 3 BR grand villa would be an amazing Thanksgiving or Christmas stay! We made the mistake of touring with our son, DIL and her Mom LOL!

Staying at BWV, we realized how tired the 1 BR villas are. Our kids were in a studio two doors down. Location is perfect, but we are so glad we didn't fall for the direct deal when we were there in October!

At this point, we are probably holding off for Poly2 but will be watching the resale market. We've unloaded three 2042 contracts and one SSR contract to pursue 2057 or later resorts so we can be nimble when we find a deal.

RIV as a resort is gorgeous! Good luck!

Last edited:
Also, is it unrealistic to think Disney might undo the resale restrictions at some point?
There's no way I would buy expecting this. I'm just wildly speculating, but I don't even think they could do this to the existing owners. It's screaming lawsuit at me, and I've never even seen the RIV documents.

I'm not too good to be a teal card or whatever they call the sixth class of resale. And there is a price at which I would hold my nose and buy RIV resale -- but we are nowhere near it IMO.

No one knows what will happen to future RIV resale prices. RIV is still dragging along in direct sales, who knows how long that will take. You could be competing with Disney, like Aulani resale. Or, Disney could completely reverse direction, like VGF2. If Poly2 is also unrestricted, RIV resale is even less appealing. What was the point of buying direct if everyone got in everywhere but RIV anyway? Why wouldn't you just buy SSR or CCV?

I'd need RIV to be substantially cheaper than SSR. I actually think that could happen, but not soon.

Edit to add: The other problem is that no one knows what will happen to availability as more and more resale buyers are trapped in RIV. There are already issues booking the cheapest categories, and the thing isn't half sold and there's no real resale in play right now.

Last edited:
There's no way I would buy expecting this. I'm just wildly speculating, but I don't even think they could do this to the existing owners. It's screaming lawsuit at me, and I've never even seen the RIV documents.

I'm not too good to be a teal card or whatever they call the sixth class of resale. And there is a price at which I would hold my nose and buy RIV resale -- but we are nowhere near it IMO.

No one knows what will happen to future RIV resale prices. RIV is still dragging along in direct sales, who knows how long that will take. You could be competing with Disney, like Aulani resale. Or, Disney could completely reverse direction, like VGF2. If Poly2 is also unrestricted, RIV resale is even less appealing. What was the point of buying direct if everyone got in everywhere but RIV anyway? Why wouldn't you just buy SSR or CCV?

They absolutely can remove them and it is in the documents everyone signed when they buy

Not only is it in the POS but it is given to owners as an additional page to sign so you understand that restrictions can indeed be removed at any time.

If they move away from restrictions, I’d bet a lot of money they will be removed from RIV as well as it will make no sense for only one resort. I don’t think they are going anywhere but they can definitely change things up

The entire schtick of the resale restrictions was exclusivity. Exclusivity from people like me. That was the point. Reversing it would be insane to me, but DVC has made many decisions that I would have put money on not happening.

I'm going to start by saying that I have not actually been inside Riv, so that is a factor. But one of the big draws of DVC for me was the ability to stay at any of the resorts. Since becoming a member, we have been or booked 5 stays and haven't stayed at the same place twice yet. I haven't even stayed at one of my home resorts. I hate the resale restrictions for a lot of reasons. Even if you buy direct, I feel like it will become a booking nightmare as more and more resale owners are out there. It will be cutthroat at 11 mos to book/walk anything if you want to stay there and for the resale owners who can't or don't get a room or aren't flexible on dates, will be sitting on dead points that they can't even rent out. I find the point chart really hard to swallow too. As for location, I'd rather be at BW/BC area (but don't want to pay those prices!). I am really hoping poly2 won't be restricted. It hasn't been a consideration for us up to now because it is studio only, and that is a reason I am hopeful they won't decide to restrict there. Otherwise, I will continue eyeing BLT/BW/BC for a contract. FTR, I have one direct and one resale currently.

I think Riviera resale can be a good deal for people who are good at managing their points. Pretty sure I wouldn't be banking them very often though; borrowing could be a little tricky as well.
$196 for 150 points is a pretty good amount of money, so I can see the benefit of buying resale. I would think it would be more likely to lower the initial number of points to buy in before I see them lifting the restrictions. 100 points would be a little easier IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter