Rivera Price that would make you say hmmm

bk2019

Earning My Ears
We all hate the resale restrictions on Rivera, but is there a resale price point that would make you buy? Let's put a floor price at the cheapest prices currently available via resale at any DVC resort.

We all hate the resale restrictions on Rivera, but is there a resale price point that would make you buy? Let's put a floor price at the cheapest prices currently available via resale at any DVC resort.
OK, then that price. Even at that, you would have really high point demands, really high maintenance fees, and you'd only be able to book RIV, nowhere else. I'd say $10-$15 / point lower than that, then I'm really running the numbers to see if it makes sense.

I'd personally base it on how many times I'd stay at Riviera and probably consider my own reselling of it to be $0/pt.

$20/pt (rental/rack price) - $8.31 (dues) = $11.69/pt.

If I would only stay there once, I'd pay $11.69/pt. Twice, $23.38/pt. Three times, $35.07., etc. The most I'd be willing to pay would probably be 40% of direct pricing. At full price that's $78/pt. At the current sales price, that would be about $62/pt.

I'd personally base it on how many times I'd stay at Riviera and probably consider my own reselling of it to be $0/pt.

$20/pt (rental/rack price) - $8.31 (dues) = $11.69/pt.

If I would only stay there once, I'd pay $11.69/pt. Twice, $23.38/pt. Three times, $35.07., etc. The most I'd be willing to pay would probably be 40% of direct pricing. At full price that's $78/pt. At the current sales price, that would be about $62/pt.
I agree. If I could only use those resale points at Riviera, they would have to be nearly free or totally free. I don't want to bother with renting out my points (and from the Covid nightmare, I wouldn't want to use a broker either).

As I said in the thread on the topic last week, somewhere around $40/point. The MFs, Redonkulous point chart, resale restrictions, and the chance that the Skyliner could go away some day (however remote, its a risk) make it not worth much to me.

And even still I’d only want enough points to do a 3 night max trip.

Can someone please explain exactly what it is about the resale restrictions that is scaring you off?

Is it the fact that if you decide to sell 10, 20, 30 years from now, that you will not fetch as high as a resale price per point? I'm interested in this because I have seen Riviera resale advertised for approximately $140 per point. This is about a $55 price different from direct. This is almost on par with every other resort. The difference is between $50-70 let's say. Do you think that 20 years from now, the price difference for Riviera will plunge far ahead of the other resorts and this is why this scares you?

Or is it because 10, 20, 30 years that half of the contracts will be resale, therefore booking at 11 months will be tougher because Riviera owners will not be holding out for the 7 month window to book something else. Therefore, theoretically, the percentage of rooms booked at Riviera between 11-7 months will be higher than at other resorts? Is this the issue? But how does this compare to other resorts like VGF that currently have the same problem?

Or is it something else? I'm just trying to grasp the actual tangible reasons as opposed to the generic "resale restrictions" statement.

Thanks

Can someone please explain exactly what it is about the resale restrictions that is scaring you off?
If I were buying direct, it's not the resale restrictions that scare me off - it's the high point chart and the high starting MFs. I'd need more points to stay there - though admittedly current incentives ease that a little - but I'm concerned the MFs would be excessively high over time. If I were buying direct, I wouldn't care as much about resale restrictions because I'm not purchasing to eventually resell, and I think it will still have a decent resale value down the road should I choose to sell.

In buying resale: I would have to love the resort and want a pool of points just for staying at Riviera, because I wouldn't be able to use them anywhere else. For example, if VGC were restricted, that wouldn't influence me, because I *want* to own at VGC and any points I'd buy there, I'd be using exclusively there anyway. I admittedly haven't bought there yet because the cost per point is too high for me at present.

Last edited:

Is it the fact that if you decide to sell 10, 20, 30 years from now, that you will not fetch as high as a resale price per point? I'm interested in this because I have seen Riviera resale advertised for approximately $140 per point. This is about a $55 price different from direct. This is almost on par with every other resort. The difference is between $50-70 let's say. Do you think that 20 years from now, the price difference for Riviera will plunge far ahead of the other resorts and this is why this scares you?

Or is it because 10, 20, 30 years that half of the contracts will be resale, therefore booking at 11 months will be tougher because Riviera owners will not be holding out for the 7 month window to book something else. Therefore, theoretically, the percentage of rooms booked at Riviera between 11-7 months will be higher than at other resorts? Is this the issue? But how does this compare to other resorts like VGF that currently have the same problem?

Or is it something else? I'm just trying to grasp the actual tangible reasons as opposed to the generic "resale restrictions" statement.

Thanks
To me the points are inherently worth less than most other resorts because of the point chart and the MFs. So there’s that.

But beyond that, being stuck at one resort forever is quite unappealing to me.

Thanks
P.S. the person selling 190 points for $155 and the person selling 195 points for $140 on a major site have both lost their minds when the incentives for a new 200 point contract put that price at $170 - with lower closing costs. Don’t compare it to the list price of $195.

I'd think about it at about $100/pt. If I wanted to stay elsewhere I'd just rent out points and transfer some points in from another resort.

Personally, I don’t think RIV is even worthy of the direct prices. If Disney wants to get serious about selling this DVC property they better get creative. The location is below average, the point chart makes zero sense, and the amenities are average at best.
With the current incentives I think that it could make sense as a direct purchase for people who love higher end properties (by Disney standards), prefer Epcot/DHS to MK, and plan to own for 20+ years. Even with the point chart and MFs, for a direct purchase it's still cheaper than VGF, and it's all 1 building which I know some prefer.

I bought SSR for $50pp, which had unlimited access to all resorts, all the perks except DVC collection exchange but including the blue card. It also has much better point charts, a novel and affordable option in the THV, walking distance to DS and much better MF than Riviera.
If Riviera resale gets to $20pp I'd start thinking about an add-on, but only if booking tower studio at 11 month will be possible without too much effort. But if Riviera gets to $20 there might still be better deals at other resorts, so not sure I'd buy there anyway.

Yeah it will be interesting to see what Rivera prices will look like in a few years when more start to hit the market.

I don't think it would hit rock bottom, but I'd have thought it would have to be competitive with the Aulani price mark.

If it was over the price of say SSR you would be mad to buy RIV over SSR resale.

With the current incentives I think that it could make sense as a direct purchase for people who love higher end properties (by Disney standards), prefer Epcot/DHS to MK, and plan to own for 20+ years. Even with the point chart and MFs, for a direct purchase it's still cheaper than VGF, and it's all 1 building which I know some prefer.
When I did the tour last year I just kept thinking to myself ‘this is a $150/point property max’ given the location and rich point chart. Prior to COVID sales weren’t great and now it will be interesting to see if RIV sells out before 2023 (I’m taking the over).

I would buy resale Riviera realistically at $100 per point. Nothing higher. There is nothing that draws me there, then add on all the restrictions on top... no desire to own there. I would buy at SSR or OKW before I bought RIV.

Thanks

It only matters if you need an exit plan. If the plan is to never exit, it’s irrelevant. But the majority of buyers do exit for one reason or another and the fear is that resale prices won’t be supported by strong demand when that happens.

Especially in 25 years. When the 2042s disappear and the resale population continues to grow. There will be more people who have restrictions (demand) and less resorts for them to book (supply). The resale buyers at PVB and CCV (raises hand) will be in for a huge fight as time goes along and more disappear. We think bungalow and cabin points are a problem now...what will they be when it’s our only resort option?

People might be looking back at Riviera differently then. And we might be having some people going - I bought my Riviera at $150/pt. Don’t love it, but I use it as sleeparound points. Who knows..

I would have to be paid to buy Riveria. I'm really only interested in resorts from which I can walk to a park. Since I usually try for a standard studio at BWV, the nightly point cost of Riveria would send me into cardia arrest. I'll be over 80 when BWV expires so the extended end date of Riveria does nothing for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!