River Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tri-circle-D

<font color=peach>Throwing some love to TCD<br><fo
River Country was Walt Disney World’s first waterpark. It opened in 1976, and closed for the final time in 2001. Since 2001, the area has sat virtually undisturbed. The slides and pools remain in place.

Here is a map of how the park was laid out:

WDW_River_Country.jpg

Here are some photos taken in November, 2009.

These photos begin with photos of the slides which were known as Whoop ‘N Holler Hollow. This is the highest point in River Country. From here, you could choose between two slide, both of which dropped the guest of in rather deep water at the base of the hill. This is the walkway that lead to the higher of the two slides:

RiverCountry006.jpg

This is the slide as it looks today:

RiverCountry007.jpg

This is the view of Bay Lake and the Contemporary Resort in the distance from the top of Whoop N’ Holler Hollow:

RiverCountry008.jpg

Here are some more shots of the Hoop N’ Holler slides:

RiverCountry009.jpg

RiverCountry010.jpg

RiverCountry011.jpg

RiverCountry012.jpg

This is an old water wheel that used to spin around at the top of the hill:

RiverCountry013.jpg

This is one of the sets of stairs that led up to the slide. As you can see, the entire walkway has been obscured by vegetation:

RiverCountry014.jpg

More photos of the slides:

RiverCountry015.jpg

RiverCountry016.jpg

RiverCountry018.jpg

Here is the water wheel from another angle. You can see Bay Lake in the background:

RiverCountry019.jpg

This is the walkway that leads to the lower slide:

RiverCountry020.jpg

Things are continuing to fall and rot:

RiverCountry021.jpg

RiverCountry022.jpg

This is the beginning of the lower slide of the Whoop N’ Holler Hollow:

RiverCountry023.jpg

RiverCountry024.jpg

TCD

Another fallen sign:

RiverCountry025.jpg

RiverCountry026.jpg

These are the stairs leading down from Whoop N’ Holler Hollow:

RiverCountry027.jpg

RiverCountry028.jpg

RiverCountry029.jpg

This is the lower slide:

RiverCountry030.jpg

RiverCountry031.jpg

RiverCountry032.jpg

Here are the remains of a barrel that has completely fallen apart:

RiverCountry033.jpg

Another shot of the slide:

RiverCountry034.jpg

And another shot of the stairs:

RiverCountry035.jpg

These shots are taken from the base of the hill on which the Whoop n’ Holler Hollow slides are located:

RiverCountry036.jpg

If you look carefully at the photo above, you will see that the tire swing still sits in place.

This is the life guard stand, looking out into the swimming area:

RiverCountry037.jpg

RiverCountry038.jpg

This is the old boom swing:

RiverCountry039.jpg

Some shots of the swimming area:

RiverCountry040.jpg

RiverCountry041.jpg

RiverCountry042.jpg

If you look along the left side of the bank of the water in this photo, you will see where the two Whoop N’ Holler Hollow slide exited into the swimming area:

RiverCountry043.jpg

TCD

More shots of the swimming area. This is where guests could enjoy the boom swing, cable ride and tire swing:

RiverCountry044.jpg

RiverCountry045.jpg

RiverCountry046.jpg

RiverCountry047.jpg

These next photos depict the slide named White Water Rapids. This was a slide on which the riders rode on tubes. Here is the sign for the slide:

RiverCountry051.jpg

This is the area at the top of the slide where you would get into your tube, and get ready to head on down:

RiverCountry049.jpg

RiverCountry050.jpg

This is where the ride would begin:

RiverCountry105.jpg

The area at the very beginning is padded, as you can see:

RiverCountry048.jpg

You can barely see this slide now:

RiverCountry052.jpg

RiverCountry053.jpg

This is the view of the swimming area from the base of the hill on which the White Water Rapids slide is located. This is also the end of the barrel bridge that bisected the swimming area:

RiverCountry054.jpg

RiverCountry055.jpg

RiverCountry058.jpg

These photos show what the Kiddie Cove area looks like now:

RiverCountry056.jpg

RiverCountry057.jpg

RiverCountry059.jpg

RiverCountry060.jpg

RiverCountry061.jpg

RiverCountry065.jpg

RiverCountry066.jpg

RiverCountry067.jpg

RiverCountry104.jpg

TCD

These are some shots from the barrel bridge:

RiverCountry103.jpg

RiverCountry062.jpg

RiverCountry063.jpg

RiverCountry064.jpg

RiverCountry102.jpg

Now we are looking at the pool known as the Upstream Plunge, and the slides known as Slippery Slide Falls:

RiverCountry068.jpg

RiverCountry069.jpg

RiverCountry070.jpg

RiverCountry071.jpg

This is the top of the slide, where guests would get in the water to slide down:

RiverCountry072.jpg

Some more views of the pool:

RiverCountry073.jpg

RiverCountry074.jpg

RiverCountry075.jpg

RiverCountry076.jpg

RiverCountry077.jpg

RiverCountry078.jpg

An old towel return box:

RiverCountry079.jpg

TCD

This is the old beach area. It is very overgrown:

RiverCountry080.jpg

RiverCountry081.jpg

RiverCountry082.jpg

RiverCountry083.jpg

RiverCountry084.jpg

RiverCountry085.jpg

RiverCountry086.jpg

RiverCountry091.jpg

RiverCountry090.jpg

This is the other side of the building that we saw earlier when crossing across the barrel bridge:

RiverCountry087.jpg

This is what remains of the area called Indian Springs on the map:

RiverCountry088.jpg

RiverCountry089.jpg

TCD

There is debris outside of the little building that is at one end of the barrel bridge:

RiverCountry092.jpg

This yellow thing is one of the old tubes from the White Water Rapids slide. The banner is, ironically, a banner reminding guests to recycle.

RiverCountry093.jpg

The door to the little shack was securely fastened by a piece of string:

RiverCountry094.jpg

The inside of the shack is full of trash and other artifacts from River Country, including an employee recognition plaque:

RiverCountry095.jpg

RiverCountry096.jpg

This looks like some kind of diorama or something. Notice the random doll head. Creepy!:

RiverCountry097.jpg

RiverCountry100.jpg

A few more shots from inside the shack:

RiverCountry098.jpg

RiverCountry099.jpg

RiverCountry101.jpg

That’s all I have!

TCD

TCD you have outdone yourself!!!! These pics are amazing. Thank you so much for posting them.

Nice looking pics :thumbsup2

So sad to see it in that bad condition :sad2:

I have lived in florida for 44 yrs :scared1:
And its sad I never went there as a kid or adult.

But good work and once again nice pics.

Ron.

Wow, these photos are amazing. Intriguing, but makes me so sad. Our family enjoyed River Country every trip when we went when I was a kid. We loved it and it was very cool there! It was one of my favorite things at Disney. The last time I was at River Country was 1997 and even as an adult I loved it!

It is so sad to see it just rotting :(

How on earth did you get these pictures? Was it eerie to be there? Are there gators there?

Great pics, TCD! Did you have to break many Disney rules, or do you have an in? I wish I'd been to River Country - it looks like a fun place. Do you think they have any plans to do something with all that land, or is it going to continue to sit?

TCD these are incredible pictures. Thank you so much for sharing. For those of us that got to enjoy River Country during its Glory Days, it's so sad to see what it has become. :sad2:

My earliest childhood memory of Disneyworld is of being at that water park with my Grandparents. How very sad to see it abandonned.

Those pics were fascinating! My boyfriend brought me to WDW & River Country for the first time in my life in the 80's- I appreciated the vacation so much, I MARRIED him!! :rotfl: I do remember having a great time in the water the day we were there, though. Thanks for posting the pics!:goodvibes

Tri-Circle,
Great post. From your pictures we now all know where Disney raises those huge mosquitos that are so popular in central Florida. River Country was not forgotten, they just found a new use for it! :thumbsup2 West Nile for everyone!

First off, welcome back TCD...seems you've been MIA for some time.
Thanks for these extraordinary pictures!! As much as I enjoyed the trip down memory lane, it breaks my heart to see RC in such a sad state.

TCD,,
your abilities to get into places always truly amaze me and your pics with reports are always of the top notch, :thumbsup2 I thank you for your time in providing all these absolutely wonderful reports.

That being said , it is a little heart breaking to see what use to be such a wonderful waterpark, deteriorate to nothing.
Even tho we only got to visit River Country once before it closed, it was awesome !

TCD you have outdone yourself indeed!! :worship::worship:

DH is going to love looking at these when he gets home. He has very fond memories of FW as a kid, and in particular the train and RC. :goodvibes

Interesting pictures - thanks for posting. Sad to see it in such a state though.

WOW you have out done yourself! Your PI work is amazing! Did you think you would get caught? There are some nice souvenirs just laying around! That was a neat trip down memory lane....things sure have changed! I wish they would put some money back into that and re build it. Some of what amazes me is how many Hurricanes have been there and the slides are still standing. I guess they are made to last. TC awesome man I have not seen it that well:worship::worship: you are d man!
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter