Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presidents Weekend is going to be busy, no doubt, but I'm wondering if its going to fall victim to people being scared of crowds and not going and perhaps be not quite as bad as everyone fears? It's still wide open all weekend for Flex Pass reservations whereas nearly every weekend for the Nov/Dec holiday season as well as ROTR opening weekend/MLK were Reservation Unavailable weeks ahead of time...

Or am I just making excuses for trying to talk myself into going that weekend... LOL
Hmm, interesting about the Flex reservations. It’s the Monday-Friday of that week that’s actually been awful IMO, but part of that has been weather-related in the past. Back on the Friday before Presidents’ Day in 2017, we were there when Main Street was flooding and the parks closed early, for instance...

We're planning on going Wednesday the 5th. DH and I will have the so Cal 3-day tickets, my DD will still have her AP (which expires on the 9th). For lots of reasons this will be our only shot to try for RotR for a few months.

I've played from home 3 times now and have been successful each time. With Galaxy S10 and T-Mobile, opening the app at one minute before park opening (had an alarm set) then watching for my phone clock to turn from :59 to :00 then clicking the Find Out More button and getting the orange Join Boarding Group button each time. Of course I know it will be different fighting with all the others in the parks for 4G access. That's the rub isn't it.
Wednesdays are (so far) the lightest population. I suspect you'll do fine.

As I mentioned upthread, I am going on the 15th with my wife, leaving our 4 year old with my in-laws that day. I bought her pass on my account and I’m not seeing a way to default her pass to “off” when trying to make a board group. Am I SOL with that? It’s not the end of the world, worst case it adds 2 seconds to the process. But I would imagine those 2 seconds on the 15th could be the difference between a good BG and a...less good BG. On my practice runs I end up finishing sub 10 seconds, so I’m confident I’ll get a BG regardless, but the earlier the better.

As I mentioned upthread, I am going on the 15th with my wife, leaving our 4 year old with my in-laws that day. I bought her pass on my account and I’m not seeing a way to default her pass to “off” when trying to make a board group. Am I SOL with that? It’s not the end of the world, worst case it adds 2 seconds to the process. But I would imagine those 2 seconds on the 15th could be the difference between a good BG and a...less good BG. On my practice runs I end up finishing sub 10 seconds, so I’m confident I’ll get a BG regardless, but the earlier the better.
You could set up or use an account for your wife and don't scan your 4 year old's pass into the account. For whatever reason the passes link to the account that they're scanned to first and have to be removed by a CM.

You could set up or use an account for your wife and don't scan your 4 year old's pass into the account. For whatever reason the passes link to the account that they're scanned to first and have to be removed by a CM.
Good call. To clarify, you are saying to log out of my account on my phone and log into my wife’s for that morning so that I can disassociate my daughter’s pass.

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but when you are playing from home, how do you know when backup groups begin? I've been checking the app when the park opens and I see the "join boarding group" button turn red, but since I'm not actually in the park and haven't added anyone to a ticket I can't go any farther. I'm just curious how folks know when backups begin. Thanks! This is invaluable info!

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but when you are playing from home, how do you know when backup groups begin? I've been checking the app when the park opens and I see the "join boarding group" button turn red, but since I'm not actually in the park and haven't added anyone to a ticket I can't go any farther. I'm just curious how folks know when backups begin. Thanks! This is invaluable info!

It was popping up the notification that I was joining a backup. It doesn’t check to see if your scanned in until the step after selecting your party members

I'm fairly new to the forum (about a month) and I have read all pages but I didn't know you could bookmark posts. I would love to see which ones you've saved.
See these bookmarks I posted this AM - @dina444444 has a PP this AM a few posts ago showing how to bookmark. :thumbsup2

:wizard:

ETA - Ooops sorry, forgot to post the link!

Last edited:
It was popping up the notification that I was joining a backup. It doesn’t check to see if your scanned in until the step after selecting your party members
I will note that on Android this is wonky and doesn't always pop up with that notification. Sometimes the only way I know from play at home it's a backup BG is the actual text on the app saying "all passes have been distributed today...etc etc."

I will note that on Android this is wonky and doesn't always pop up with that notification. Sometimes the only way I know from play at home it's a backup BG is the actual text on the app saying "all passes have been distributed today...etc etc."
I have an iPhone and it’s the same. I’ve only gotten the pop-up a few times. I think people who’ve seen the pop-up don’t realize it’s not ALWAYS there when backups are in effect, which is why we get conflicting backup times posted from some people. I didn’t realize that it could be hidden in the fine print until it was pointed out to me.

So......other question, what is the suggested/process odds of getting a BG from the paper machines? Are those all backup BG's or do people who at the front pre rope drop pull some good BG's out of those manual machines? Any tips or articles on this process? Perhaps a party splits up and a few try this while the other finds a low ping, good connection area and see who gets through?

New strategy... This is based off of my 10 visits to Disneyland and seems to work best for getting an early return time.

- Only have the tickets you are using for the day. Always test the app before park opening by trying to book a FP. This allows you to see which tickets are available on that day.

- I close the Disneyland App a few minutes before park opening time.

- The park opens 5 minutes early so I walk over to the Pixie Hollow area and Turn off WiFi use LTE

- Open the Clock App with the seconds being shown.

- Once the Clock app shows 5 second until park opening I open the Disneyland App, click the castle image to skip the firework animation hit Find out More, then Join Boarding Group.

- The past three times I tried this I got 15, 12, and 8 Boarding Group.

ME

So......other question, what is the suggested/process odds of getting a BG from the paper machines? Are those all backup BG's or do people who at the front pre rope drop pull some good BG's out of those manual machines? Any tips or articles on this process? Perhaps a party splits up and a few try this while the other finds a low ping, good connection area and see who gets through?
Only the first 1-2 folks in line at the BLAB FP machines seem to have a chance at that. If you have MM or EMH you can spend your entire hour getting to those machines and then you have a for sure BG pretty much. For regular park hours (no MM/EMH days) you have to be an early bird. Most folks seemt o have decided it just not worth it.

It’s almost impossible. Only the first couple/few people at each machine have a chance before regular BGs are gone.

I’ve suggested here (and would still suggest) that a person with MM access who ONLY cares about ROTR might do well to post up at a Buzz FP machine right as MM starts, as being first at a machine is the closest to a “guarantee” anyone’s going to get when it comes to ROTR, but that’s a lot of commitment and not practical for most.

Disclaimer: I haven’t pulled one from a machine myself, but this is based on what I have seen online along with the fact that I originally thought to try for a machine on opening day... but 5,000 people had the same idea.

New strategy... This is based off of my 10 visits to Disneyland and seems to work best for getting an early return time.

- Only have the tickets you are using for the day. Always test the app before park opening by trying to book a FP. This allows you to see which tickets are available on that day.

- I close the Disneyland App a few minutes before park opening time.

- The park opens 5 minutes early so I walk over to the Pixie Hollow area and Turn off WiFi use LTE

- Open the Clock App with the seconds being shown.

- Once the Clock app shows 5 second until park opening I open the Disneyland App, click the castle image to skip the firework animation hit Find out More, then Join Boarding Group.

- The past three times I tried this I got 15, 12, and 8 Boarding Group.

ME
Hmmm, you kind of sound like an expert. Good screen name!

Presidents Weekend is going to be busy, no doubt, but I'm wondering if its going to fall victim to people being scared of crowds and not going and perhaps be not quite as bad as everyone fears? It's still wide open all weekend for Flex Pass reservations whereas nearly every weekend for the Nov/Dec holiday season as well as ROTR opening weekend/MLK were Reservation Unavailable weeks ahead of time...

Or am I just making excuses for trying to talk myself into going that weekend... LOL

I know, we are in San Diego and out that entire week, and I can’t decide if we want to chance it or not. If the flex pass reservation don’t fill, we may give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter