• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rides with the longest lines..Disneyland

The longest line we encountered right off the bat was Peter Pan. We got there for early morning opening and walked very quickly and were among the first, after our ride 2 minutes later, it already had a ton of people filling the queue. Just on a side note, if you are used to Florida's Peter Pan, this one is even shorter, and not really as good, in the future I would probably just skip it for myself.

Other long lines are for Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, Submarines, Star Tours and some of the fantasy land rides.

I would fast pass Star Tours or Space Mountain. If you can single rider for Matterhorn and Indy, that is the way to go. Subs are good first thing before the line builds.

You could ride the smaller dark rides in Fantasyland during the evening parade, that worked for us.

Rides without FP like Peter Pan and Dumbo in FL. Nemo Submarines is a slow loader. During the holidays, HM and IASW are very popular.
Use FP for Indy, SM and ST.

Also the Storybook Canal boats can move slowly. Alice can have a very long line too. Peter Pan, the Subs, Dumbo can all have long lines as others have mentioned.

Midnightred

What are the rides that have the longest lines? Where should i head first?

Your best bet is to buy something relatively inexpensive like RideMax or TouringPlans. They can help you figure out where to go.

Your question is not a fair question. Here is why:

1. Some rides with long lines have high capacity and move quickly. For example POTC. Other rides with short lines move very slowly. For example Dumbo.

2. Some rides with long lines have FP so you do not need to wait in the regular standby line

3. Some rides have lines which vary seasonally. Splash Mtn and GRR are longer in the summer and on warm days and much shorter in the winter. HM tends to be fairly short year round except when converted to HM Holiday when it can be much longer.

Just some food for thought.

:wizard:

I forgot to add, what I found works best is getting a fast pass early in the morning for Cars, Space mtn, and Indiana

What are the rides that have the longest lines? Where should i head first?
It's also good to consider how comfortable the lines are to wait in. Maybe this will give a different idea.
Star Tours is a nice line for 30 min or so because there is so much to see.
Haunted Mansion if more than 15 minutes is tiring.
Pirates is a short line as long as its under 15 minute wait.
Peter Pan is tiring as you can't lean against anything.
Nemo line is also not easy to wait in if longer than 20 min.
Indy is a nice line, lots to see.
Alice in Wonderland is a long line even when it looks short.
Fantasyland rides like Snow White have almost no line or very short.

We have a standard strategy that we use. On one morning, we will head directly for Tomorrowland to ride Space, Star Tours and Buzz before the lines get long. On another morning, we'll head for Indy first, and then do some rides on that side of the park. Along the way, we'll pick up Fast Passes for things we want to ride again. Then we'll do less popular rides in the area while waiting for our Fast Pass time.

It kind of depends on what rides you want to go on...as you can see, some of the FL rides will have a long wait (not necessarily meaning there are a lot of people in the line, but the ride loads slowly), but the thrill rides are also very popular.

If you have kids or want to ride the FL rides, then I would also make a beeline for Peter Pan. That one can reach 45-minutes (or more) very fast because it's a slow loader. Pretty much any of the FL rides are "slow loaders" and the lines build up quickly. So if you're going to ride them, I'd either do it first thing in the AM or last thing at night. The only ride where the line hasn't seem to bad to me is the carousel. Note that Storybook Canal doesn't run all day (I think it shuts for the parade).

Otherwise, the thrill rides will usually build pretty good lines in the middle of the day. Depending on your party size, I would consider making use of the single rider line for Indy and Matterhorn. Then use FP for SM and/or ST and/or Splash (if it's a warmish day).

In general, Space Mountain seems to be the ride that most consistently has long standby lines in Disneyland (I rarely see less than 35 minutes on a slow day, with 60-75 being common,) but it does have Fastpass, which is how I usually ride it. Indiana Jones tends to get long lines too, but that one's easier to get around with both Fastpass and single rider options. Peter Pan rarely has less than 30 minutes, and no Fastpass. On a hot day, Splash Mountain can easily have a wait over an hour, although this varies heavily depending on time of day and weather.

On the DCA side, Radiator Springs Racers is the current champion for long waits (2 hours is still quite common, although it also has Fastpass and single rider.) Toy Story Mania can be pretty long (with no fastpass) as well.

DCA - Toy Story Mania & Soarin' both have pretty long lines (but FP are available for Soarin)

Rides that tend to have the longest line no matter what are Toy Story Midway Mania, Nemo Subs, Matterhorn, Soarin', Star Tours, Goofy's Flying School, Peter Pan, Splash Mountain, Indy. They're all slow loaders and/or limited capacity, or they break down a lot (TSMM comes to mind here).

Fast Passes can usually cut your wait time in half, but you have to be willing to come back to that ride hours later, even when the park is close to closing.

My family got FPs for Space Mountain at 1pm and the return time was around 10pm, so we had to plan on backtracking among all of the fireworks and Fantasmic crowds. Be aware of parade routes and times so you don't get stuck.

Have fun!

We're not big PP fans. We've done it a few times and just don't think it's worth the wait?

We do single rider a LOT. RSR is the best SR line!! We rode It 5 times in a row last trip!! Grabbed a FP too. Space too, but worth a FP too.

I think the line for Nemo is also ridiculous, and not worth it, IMHO.

Indy wasn't open the last 2 times we visited, but a FP for that then go ride potc and HM then go back is usually our plan of attack. Good food options back that way too while you wait ;).

Dca-Toy story drives me batty!! We were finally to the front of the line twice last trio, when it broke down!! Grrr! They evacuated us, TWICE, with no passes or anything!! Really? Made me so mad!! Twice? After waiting 45 minutes? That really left a bad impression. Really wish they'd do a FP for that ride!

Soarin hasn't been that long for us, if you go in the morning it's a breeze to get on.

Your question is not a fair question. Here is why:

3. Some rides have lines which vary seasonally. Splash Mtn and GRR are longer in the summer and on warm days and much shorter in the winter. HM tends to be fairly short year round except when converted to HM Holiday when it can be much longer.

Just some food for thought.

:wizard:

This past Sunday night, the line for IASW was 75 minutes. Granted it was down for some time in the afternoon, but still! Needless to day, we bypassed it, much to my chagrin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter