Rider Swap - Graphically explained

JPKnapp

Mouseketeer
It's nice of you to put something like this together. And I'm guessing maybe you're an engineer. :-)

This is super nerdy/awesome. As a first time visitor with a 4 year old (who may or may not actually be 44" when we go in 2 weeks) I've spent a lot of time thinking about RS. But not as much as you :goodvibes

Lots of people have trouble understanding the process of rider swap, so I created this functional graphic workflow of how it all comes together. For anyone trying to figure out how to get the best use of FPs and Rider Swap, this should totally help you out.

It's a shared google docs, so take a look and send me any comments.
https://docs.google.com/presentatio...YQizg/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000

excellent!!
i didn't realize you get a lanyard first that you exchange for a ticket...

is there a time limit on when i can come back with the rider swap ticket?
that is, let's say we ride soarin in the morning, but we don't want to waste time riding it again with the adults who had to stay behind.
can we come back in the afternoon with our rider swap ticket rather than right away?

Fantastic work. Didn't realize the ability to take the kids twice with the RS ticket.

excellent!!
i didn't realize you get a lanyard first that you exchange for a ticket...

is there a time limit on when i can come back with the rider swap ticket?
that is, let's say we ride soarin in the morning, but we don't want to waste time riding it again with the adults who had to stay behind.
can we come back in the afternoon with our rider swap ticket rather than right away?

Lanyard is only at rides where rider swap has been abused (7DMT seems to be the big one) you are suppose to use the rider swap in the same day but they print them all at once at the beginning of the month so sometimes you have an entire month to use them and sometimes you only have a day.

OP it is awesome if you to do this.

Rider Swap is a thing of beauty when used to its fullest. This will help many with young children make the most of their time.

Last edited:

This is amazing! Thank you! This December is our first time going with a child to Disney...Needless to say it is quite a different planning process :P

I understand rider swap already, but that was too much info for me! I'm not a terribly organized thinker, though. ;)

That was incredibly helpful! One question...does the small child have to be unable to ride (due to height) or can they just not want to ride? I have been told it doesn't matter, but want to be sure. My 5yo is 44" so can ride many rides, but doesn't like the coasters (even the small ones). Thanks!

That was incredibly helpful! One question...does the small child have to be unable to ride (due to height) or can they just not want to ride? I have been told it doesn't matter, but want to be sure. My 5yo is 44" so can ride many rides, but doesn't like the coasters (even the small ones). Thanks!
I have seen a too scared child was able to get. a rider swap pass and then I have heard on here that they just tell them to go in the line and do it this way. I would plan on going up to the CM at the ride and explaining you child is too scared to ride but every one else dose and see what they suggest you do

They're supposed to be too small to ride, but sometimes you'll get pixie dusted for someone that's afraid to ride.

Would it be acceptable/allowed/safe to let a 10 year child wait on the platform alone while you ride? I'm thinking of Thunder Mountain as an example.

Would it be acceptable/allowed/safe to let a 10 year child wait on the platform alone while you ride? I'm thinking of Thunder Mountain as an example.

They won't let them wait on the platform but they can wait further down on the exit ramp. With BTMRR you can't guarentee what side of the track you will exit at. So you could load on the left track and unload on the right track.

At 10 it is more then acceptable for them to wait alone. Official Disney policy is upon a child's 7th birthday they can be in the parks alone, and ride in ride vehicles alone. They can not enter or exit the physical park on their own but once inside can be trusted to care for themselves.

Well it depends. The written policy is that if the child is under 7 and do not want to ride they should be able to get a rider swap because they can't be in the park by themselves. However most CMs are trained that they are for too short riders only. I don't know why management has gone that route because it even contradicts what is in the manuals but it is how it is happening. If the CM says no then you'll have to ask for an at the load swap. Some times this is possible where they will let one of you wait at the exit with the child and then when your party exits the ride you swap. This has to happen at the load though but you should basically ask every CM on your way to load. Some will do it and some won't. It is frustrating that the policy doesn't work as it should because I know when people travel with their older children with disabilities (usually adult children on the spectrum) or travel with their elderly relatives they really need the swap so that person who looks capable but really isn't, is not left alone but CMs always fight it. I do think if you come up against too many nos poping into guest relations and writing an email is worth it. They won't know the system is broken and it is affecting vacations unless people tell them.

They won't let them wait on the platform but they can wait further down on the exit ramp. With BTMRR you can't guarentee what side of the track you will exit at. So you could load on the left track and unload on the right track.

At 10 it is more then acceptable for them to wait alone. Official Disney policy is upon a child's 7th birthday they can be in the parks alone, and ride in ride vehicles alone. They can not enter or exit the physical park on their own but once inside can be trusted to care for themselves.

Thanks, that's good to know. I can't believe they allow 7 year olds to be by themselves in the park! If I saw a child that young wandering around by themselves I'd assume they were lost.

Thanks, that's good to know. I can't believe they allow 7 year olds to be by themselves in the park! If I saw a child that young wandering around by themselves I'd assume they were lost.

It really depends on the kid but most 7 year olds when lost will come ask for help. They really just stick to lines by themselves. CMs are pretty good at looking for the panic face no matter what age the kid is.

Question. It says at the begining to scan your fast passes. What if you don't have fastpasses for the ride. Do you still go up to the fast pass line or the standby line?

Question. It says at the begining to scan your fast passes. What if you don't have fastpasses for the ride. Do you still go up to the fast pass line or the standby line?

If you are rider swapping a non-fastpass ride you go to the Standby line and ask for rider swap there. You'll stand in the standby line for group 1 and then when you swap Group 2 will go through FP. You may get the swap card upon entering or you'll be given the lanyard to exchange for a swap card at load.

If you are rider swapping a non-fastpass ride you go to the Standby line and ask for rider swap there. You'll stand in the standby line for group 1 and then when you swap Group 2 will go through FP. You may get the swap card upon entering or you'll be given the lanyard to exchange for a swap card at load.

thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!