Review on Children's Menus 11/19-11/25

jedimindtric

Earning My Ears
I thought I would start out on reviewing only the children's menus/meals since I was so concerned about this prior to our trip. We were on the Disney Dining Plan.

November 19th
We ended up missing our reservation at Whispering Canyon due to multiple check-in problems at the Boardwalk Villas and ended up with two counter services this day.
Pepper Market @ Coronado Springs.
My son had the kid's pizza which was two very large slices of cheese pizza, fruit (only a quarter of an orange??), a cookie, and an apple juice (small juice box). The server told me that the cookie did not count as his dessert and the apple juice did not count as his drink. He gladly picked out a very large sugar cookie with M & M's and a chocolate milk.

Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe @ Magic Kingdom
My son had the chicken nuggets with grapes and more grapes. We later found out to ask for french fries. We refused the sugar-free jello and were allowed to get him the packaged chocolate cake instead with no problems.

November 20th
Alfredos (Italian) @ Epcot
My son did like anything on the menu here, so we did not order him a meal. He ended up sharing my pasta and liking it and I let him have my dessert. They did not care that he did not order and subtracted the correct number of credits from the plan.

Kona Cafe @ Poly
This was the first run in with the new kid's menu. My son ended up picking out the pita pizza without chicken with the fruit cup as the appetizer (grapes only) and the sundae as the dessert. The pizza was brought out with the chicken on it -- so we sent it back. The second pizza was correct. My son did not like the pizza and proclaimed it "yucky". My dad then tasted it and said that it was not good at all and that the crust seemed to be the problem. The kid's sundae was very nice and was a build a sundae served in a small waffle-cone bowl. It had chocolate sauce, small sugar mickey heads, and M & M type candy on the side. I did ask if he could have the Kiddie Kone (now the Kona Kone) for his dessert, but was told no.

November 21st
American Pavillon @ Epcot --- Counter Service
My son had the Smucker Uncrustable with grapes and more grapes and a rice krispie Mickey as dessert. No problem for kids here and he ate every bite.

Ohana @ Poly
My son did not like the items on the feast, so we asked for alternatives. There were all kinds to choose from: cheeseburger, hot dog, grilled cheese, etc. He ended up with the grilled cheese and french fries and ate every bite.

November 22nd
Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe @ Magic Kingdom
Again no problems -- he had the mini-corn dogs with grapes and french fries and the packaged chocolate cake for dessert. We were never forced to take the sugar-free jello.

Coral Reef @ Epcot
Great kid's menu. We ended up eating his appetizer of Lobster Bisque (great) and he loved the cheese pizza, build your own sundae, and the great tank view.

November 23rd
Chef Mickey's Breakfast
Buffet -- of course no problems. Had a 11:10am reservation and had the characters visit the table 3 times. Either the morning rush had cleared out, or it was very slow this day.

Raglan Road @ Downtown Disney
No appetizers for kids. The kid's chicken and fries was very large though and the chicken was very good. The kid's ice cream was two large scoops of vanilla with a little container of caramel sauce. They did not offer any other desserts for children and you could not request an adult option. They had a very hard time finding a non-carbonated drink option and we ended up with water. The service here is very, very slow.

November 24th
Hurricane Hannah's @ Beach Club
Very nice kid's meal served in a little sand pail. They said that they were not allowed to offer french fries with any meals and that included the adult ones. We ended up using a snack credit for the french fries. My son had the mini-cheeseburgers with grapes and a large cookie for dessert. We also had the option of going back up to get a ice cream bar for dessert. The adult meals came with small bags of Lay's chips.

Beaches and Cream @ Beach Club
This is a table service credit. The kid's meal came with fruit, or french fries and a cookie. My son had the grilled cheese, fruit, chocolate milk. I asked if the cookie counted as dessert and they said no -- he was thrilled to order the Mickey Mouse Sundae which was very large and cute. Adults received an appetizer (salad, soup (chicken noodle, or chili), onion rings, or french fries), entree (all add-ons were allowed ex: onion rings, bacon, etc.), and any dessert except the Kitchen Sink. This ended up being a very fun meal.

November 25th
50's Primetime Cafe @ MGM
Same standard kid's meal as Kona. This time we went with the Kid's Picks and got grapes, chicken nuggets with french fries, and the same nice sundae as Kona. They also offered a kid's portion of fried chicken, pot roast, and meatloaf. They really went out of the way to make suggestions. Children were allowed to get milkshake, or ice cream float as the drink on the plan.

Beach Club Marketplace
Smuckers Uncrustable with grapes and more grapes and a small bottled water. Children are not allowed a dessert here, which seemed very strange.

I would definitely say that we had a lot less trouble than I anticipated and everyone seemed willing to work with you on the new menus. My son was very happy most meals. Let me know if you have any questions on the above restaurants.

We have reservations at Kona, Ohana and Primetime. I have been worried about my DS 7. Last trip he ate chicken nuggets every meal and was happy. At Kona, can he get chicken nuggets - real ones not those horrible cold boiled chicken slices?

After our meal, we talked with the waiter at Kona. He said that had we requested it, that my son could have had something else. I am guessing it would be the same choices that Ohana offered because the waiter mentioned a grilled cheese sandwich. I do not think that chicken nuggets were offered at Ohana -- I believe it was breaded chicken tenders.

thanks for the reviews! With 4 kiddos in our house I've been a little worried.

Great reviews! It makes me feel much better to see that you were able to get many choices and your kiddo was happy! I'm looking forward to my own kiddos being happy too.
Katy :sunny:

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks so much for the review! I was getting nervous about our upcoming trip, but it seems like it will be ok. Thank you!

Thanks for the reviews!! Glad to hear about the Jello. I know my kids might be OK with that once - but not every meal, and not when DH and I might be having cake or ice cream. Besides, I'd rather they have a moderate amount of real sugar than some unknown sugar substitute!

Thanks for the reviews! Sorry about the horrible pita pizza...whoever came up with that at Disney doesn't have kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter