Review of Pixar’s ‘Finding Nemo’

Another Voice

Charter Member of The Element
A review of Pixar’s next film – ‘Finding Nemo’ has shown up on Ain’t It Cool News. The generally favorable review descirbes the rough cut (meaning there were storyboards in many places instead of finished animation) as a good film, just not the very best Pixar film. The review concludes:

“…it’s impossible to accurately gauge FINDING NEMO’s place in the Pixar pantheon. While there doesn’t appear to be a jaw-dropping set-piece on the scale of the door chase from MONSTERS, INC., there are some nicely profound moments sprinkled amidst the fun, along with a theme – forging forward and accepting life’s inherent, and sometimes cruel, uncertainty (I doubt I’ll ever see a more thoughtful exchange between two characters dangling from the tongue of a whale again in my life) – that resonates in the wake of, yes, I’m going to say it, 9/11. So while I’m not seeing this film graduating to the level of their best work, I can’t say for sure that it won’t end up in that elite class.”

The full review can be found at http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=13568 . Be warned that Ain’t It Cool contains non-family language. The review itself gives away the plot of the story (but not too many spoilers) and discusses the performances by Albert Brooks (‘Mother’, ‘Defending Your Life’) and Ellen DeGeneres (like that Energy ride thingy).

‘Nemo’ is shaping up to be Disney’s big summer release for next year.

I have to disagree on the Monster's Inc. clip, Scoop. I considered it to be witty, the animation very good (I am note sure about the Little Mermaid comparison; have you seen that lately?) and the characters interesting. Not bad for a two minute clip.

I seem to be developing a Pixar bias. I think since the first Toy Story came out, Disney has not come out with a single movie that can be regarded as superior to any Pixar film in any way.

Pixar has established a gold standard (not formula) for creative excellence that has been lost at Disney.

How's business?

Jim Hill has an interesting take on the negative rumors that have come out about Nemo's lukewarm reviews. Apparantly the rumors about this being Pixar's weakest film have been leaked out from someone high up in Burbank. Jim suggests that this may have more to do with Disney's on-going negotiations to renew their contract with Pixar than anything else. Here's the full article:

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/newarticles/singles/torpnema.htm

With Ei$ner it's always "the Brand" this and "the Brand" that. So here's a question for speculation:

Have Ei$ner and cohorts so diluted "the Brand" that it is now the Pixar brand that will generate the greatest interest in seeing Finding Nemo, instead of the Disney brand? I'm talking here about buzz amongst the general population, rather than with the fan base.

My feeling is that the Pixar brand has a more positive connotation than Disney with the general public, but that Disney still has a bit more pull into the theatre. One more hit for Pixar, however, and they really may not need Disney anymore.

The clip's goofy "Nope, nothin' in my noggin" line took root with my family and friends. Many of us have been using it at work, almost like a cult. I thought the preview was very very funny.

I was so taken by it that IICN's review and the negative buzz rumors depressed me to no end. "Monster's" is one of my favorite movies ever.....right between the Toy Story films and Bug's Life.

Pixar has an amazing tough with a story......so I hope the movie proves these folks wrong.

Have Ei$ner and cohorts so diluted "the Brand" that it is now the Pixar brand that will generate the greatest interest in seeing Finding Nemo, instead of the Disney brand?
The sort answer for a change.

YES!!!

I'm waiting to see what happens.

I wasn't impressed with the trailer, but I'm interesting in the performance of Ellen.

I thought that the trailer had more of a Disney feel then a Pixar feel. It reminded me more of Atlantis and yes, it did remind me of LIttle Mermaid. Not only the crab (lobster?) but just the over all feel. Neither Toy Story, Monsters or Bugs Life had a "Disney" feel to me. They were great movies but they were stand alone great. Maybe more Disney people worked on this one?

Roy

BTW Testtrack321, if "***" in your signature stands for what I think it does...maybe you should change that. I've always been impressed at how clean this board is and I don't think we should start down the "Yahoo chat board" slippery slope. :-)

Originally posted by roymccoy
BTW Testtrack321, if "***" in your signature stands for what I think it does...maybe you should change that. I've always been impressed at how clean this board is and I don't think we should start down the "Yahoo chat board" slippery slope. :-)

I know the implamentation most people belive it says, but "F" stands for "fudge" in my opinion, and well, that's a running joke with my friends.

It's just a "stand-in" avitar while I try to get a good ToN one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter