REVAMP of Whispering Canyon Cafe BEGINS

Proof that Disney listens to comments. Like a number of other posters, I emailed my concern about the anticipated elimination of antics at WCC. I gave my email, but I didn't list a phone number. However, as a DVC member, they do have access to my info.

I was surprised to receive a personal call from guest services in reference to my email. In the phone call, the cast member reassured me that the antics weren't going away, but only lowering in volume, as several of you have indicated.

I was impressed at the personal contact, instead of just a form email, and the fact that they needed to at least do a little homework to verify my info before calling. Kudos to the guest services team for the personal touch on an issue our family really cares about.

I've only read that from one poster. I'm still not buying the whole thing, to be honest, because I've not seen any on site reports to support it, in fact the only reports I have read say the opposite (but that's only a couple of them). I'm pretty sure this is a case of something being blown way out of proportion, but regardless, if the antics are still there (even if gone for a few days), then all is well.
The Op of this thread is a reliable and trustworthy source of information. Are you saying he isn't correct here?

Have not been in years. They had a gag about seaworld. Anyone remember what it was?

I ate here alone once. I was traveling for work in Tampa and made my way to the lodge for a mini vacation. husband was meeting me there but his flight was delayed. It was pouring out and I was starving! I had a blast. My server sat with me a few times. She "caught" me on my phone when my husband called with a travel update. Held the phone up so the whole restaurant could yell "have a safe trip" I was sitting right smack in the middle of the place!

Good memories

1) We understand.
2) The antics are not for everyone.
3) WDW does not pretend that all the eateries fit everyone's taste or ambiance. *

* I would not patronize a restaurant with LILO & Stitch characters, although many others love them.

I have no issue with this. I would never suggest that this restaurant change it's theme, practices, or menu, and hope that was not how my posts have come across. There are more restaurants to chhose from that my family enjoys than we ever can visit on each trip.

I have said that if the restaurant census is down, and the management is able to drill down to the cause, then it would not be responsible to remain the same just to keep up what was "history"

Chef Mickey's is on the fourth floor with the Contempo Cafe and the monorail. The lobby is on the first floor. Totally different.
Technically the lobby at the Contemporary is functionally the 4th floor. Shops, restaurants, arcade are all there and rooms are above that. So same kind of experience of noise above the lobby. What was worse for us when we stayed there was sharing elevators with the Chef Mickey patrons. Nowhere near enough to handle the crowds. At least WCC is on the ground floor.

Here is the response I received from emailing the manager about whether or not the antics would still be performed in October for our visit:

Thank you for taking the time to respond to the news of changes at Whispering Canyon. Whispering Canyon Cafe is still a rootin' tootin' good time for the whole family, with plenty of antics. You may notice that we've asked our Cast Members to turn down the volume a bit in order to promote participation among all guests. There is still lots of silliness for your son to enjoy.
I got the same FORM letter in response to my Email. While I sent it to Ms Sergant it was answered by by someone else. That and her assurance that there would be plenty of antics for my SON to enjoy on HIS birthday despite the fact that I specifically indicated we (DW and myself) would be going for MY birthday. Just another indication that DISNEY's once well earned reputation for detail is slipping

The Op of this thread is a reliable and trustworthy source of information. Are you saying he isn't correct here?

Not at all. I was just noting my frustration with lack of first hand accounts from diners last week and that what few I did read, contradicted one another. I'm still hopeful that whatever changes or re-changes have happened or not in the last week or so end up resulting in the fund dining experience still being at WCC.

Proof that Disney listens to comments. Like a number of other posters, I emailed my concern about the anticipated elimination of antics at WCC. I gave my email, but I didn't list a phone number. However, as a DVC member, they do have access to my info.

I was surprised to receive a personal call from guest services in reference to my email. In the phone call, the cast member reassured me that the antics weren't going away, but only lowering in volume, as several of you have indicated.

I was impressed at the personal contact, instead of just a form email, and the fact that they needed to at least do a little homework to verify my info before calling. Kudos to the guest services team for the personal touch on an issue our family really cares about.

That's definitely good customer service.

I'm curious, and it may be in this thread already and I've lost track, but does anyone know for sure if the antics ever went away entirely or was this always a "lowering of volume" thing and that got incorrectly reported as it stopping all together?

I have never ate at WCC and have no desire to. We have specifically avoided it and 50's PT BECAUSE of the antics. However, that doesn't mean those antics should change because of people like me who don't care for it. I have TONS of other options to choose from when eating at Disney and I have never had any issues or lost any sleep because WCC did their "thing".

With that said, I feel the blame for this issue falls on Disney. I joined the DIS 11 years ago and have been fortunate to be saturated with Disney information for more than a decade now (original join date was 2007 under a different name that I forgot the login info to). A few months back, I decided to join a few facebook groups regarding planning Disney trips and WHOA! It never occurred to me just how many people out there don't know the most basic things about Disney. At first I was like....are these people from another planet? The questions they ask blow me away sometimes because its common sense stuff. And then I remember, Its common sense to ME because I have been here for 11 years in this LARGE community with ample information at my fingertips.

The average person has NO idea about the antics of WCC or 50's Prime Time. Disney needs to do a better job at making that information known BEFORE a families arrival so there are no disappointments. There should be a pop up when making ADR's at these restaurants that briefly describes the environment and require folks to check it off (or better yet - make them answer a question that proves they read it) before the ADR can even be finalized. There should also be signage outside when walking up.

It's really a shame they are doing away with this as it was beloved by many. This is the beginning of the slippery slope though. 50's PT will be next.

The average person has NO idea about the antics of WCC or 50's Prime Time. Disney needs to do a better job at making that information known BEFORE a families arrival so there are no disappointments. There should be a pop up when making ADR's at these restaurants that briefly describes the environment and require folks to check it off (or better yet - make them answer a question that proves they read it) before the ADR can even be finalized. There should also be signage outside when walking up.

I think these are all very good, very reasonable ideas. Managing expectations of guests involves clear communication, and Disney has problems communicating on many fronts. These would be nice simple steps to improve guest satisfaction.

I have never ate at WCC and have no desire to. We have specifically avoided it and 50's PT BECAUSE of the antics. However, that doesn't mean those antics should change because of people like me who don't care for it. I have TONS of other options to choose from when eating at Disney and I have never had any issues or lost any sleep because WCC did their "thing".

With that said, I feel the blame for this issue falls on Disney. I joined the DIS 11 years ago and have been fortunate to be saturated with Disney information for more than a decade now (original join date was 2007 under a different name that I forgot the login info to). A few months back, I decided to join a few facebook groups regarding planning Disney trips and WHOA! It never occurred to me just how many people out there don't know the most basic things about Disney. At first I was like....are these people from another planet? The questions they ask blow me away sometimes because its common sense stuff. And then I remember, Its common sense to ME because I have been here for 11 years in this LARGE community with ample information at my fingertips.

It's really a shame they are doing away with this as it was beloved by many. This is the beginning of the slippery slope though. 50's PT will be next.

I like the antics, but I didn't know to expect them the first time I went to either place (WCC or 50s PT). At 50s PT, my CM didn't really do much antics while the CM at the next table over was laying it on thick. Hopefully, next time I'll get one who does the antics. I've been to WCC 2-3 times and they've always laid it on thick.

Sure, Disney could probably do a better job describing it online. But as a guest making an ADR there has to be some personal responsibility for knowing where you are going to eat. There are lots of places that could come with warnings.....Sci Fi might be too dark for some people, Biergarten might be too loud...etc. If I showed up at a random restaurant knowing nothing about it and then didn't like the atmosphere, that's on me not them.

I thought I read that this restaurant had instituted flip cards several years ago for this very reason? So that diners could opt in or out of the antics.
The atmosphere of the restaurant is listed on the Disney website so the only complaint people could have is that they didn't read it when they booked, which is not the problem of the restaurant or anyone at WL. The information is there. There shouldn't have to be a failsafe "are you sure you want to book this restaurant, there's antics?!" to save people from their own ignorance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter