Retirement changes everything.

Nickylv

DIS Veteran
As you get older, you start to think things differently. I retired in April and my wife will retire some time next year. We have been DVC owners for many years and our family has enjoyed the many,many, many trips we have taken and all the fun and memories we have made over the years. Our kids, our Grandson, our step Grandkids (along with extended family members) and now our Great Grandson who is 23 months have all been introduced to Disney. It was time for us to rethink the points we have and also take into consideration the year they expire.

One of my wife’s favorite things is to have a family vacation where everyone is together. This means everything to her. We have one every year, either at Disney World, Hawaii in a Grand Villa (and we have had our share of some awesome Grand Villas) or a large beach house in southern California or New Jersey where we are from, or even a large mountain home in the winter for sking.

Now as retirement comes into play points mean everything. As retirees we will be able to get away anytime we choose, so we need points for that and still wanting to take the whole clan on a fun family vacation to Disney.

Selling a large amount of points at Boardwalk which expires in 2042 (who knew that its right around the corner) and getting points in a resort that will go much further makes sense to us now. Old Key West has the cheapest Grand Villas and could be used for the family vacation every so many years. Our thoughts are on some other contracts that don’t expire until 2057 or later. While my wife and I know we will most likely not be around at that time, our great grandchilden will. We would like them to experience the joy past generations of their family have had.

Looking back many years ago when we purchased our first DVC contract, it was alot of money for what people called a time share. We were concerned whether we were doing the right thing. Well now years, and a few DVC contracts later we know we would never have been able to do the things we’ve done if not for those purchases. This was one of the best investments ever.

While we love the Boardwalk, it makes much more sense for us to be able to purchase more points at a resort that not only uses less points but also expires in a much later year. We do own Animal Kingdom and that expires 2057.

At the age of 18 months, we treated our Great Grandson along with his parents to a 4 day trip in Disneyland (4 hour drive) and he still talks about meeting Mickey and Donald Duck. Can’t put a price on that. So we now have a 4 day trip back to Disneyland in September for his 2nd birthday party.

What’s so special is enjoying the fun and excitement we experience watching the smiles on our kids faces. Same for our grandsons face and now not only do we get to see the joy in our Great Grandson’s face, but we get to see the excitement in his father’s face when he sees his son enjoying the things he had when he was a kid. Nothing better than that!

We took our Grandson to Disney World so many times that one time when he was about 9 years old we said to him “guess where we are going” he said “where?” We said “we’re going to Disney World” his response was “AGAIN?” We still laugh about that.

Changes happen, whether its just the way life goes or ones you make. Disney is not the same as it was 20 years ago. But neither is this world. Those at retirement age can attest to that.

There have been many changes in the parks some good and some not so…but it is still the Happiest Place On Earth when you look thru the eyes of your loved ones. Keeping the investment that we had made many years ago going for as long as we can is important to us. So in closing, here’s to many more years to come as we plan our next chapter of Disney experiences. Enjoy the times you have, it goes quicker than you think. My wife and I were in our 20’s yesterday, we just have to stop blinking. Thanks for reading.

How incredibly blessed you are to have extended family vacations for as long as you have!! I love WDW with my heart and soul and know it's because my father did too and gave us the luxury of going. Although my younger sister had the benefit of more "free" WDW vacations than I, the foundation was set in place. I hope your family can appreciate and enjoy these times together for a very, very long time

Any thought regarding DVC vs renting a home in the Orlando area? We are not at retirement but kind of thought we would transition towards a 1-3 month rental instead of staying on property when we were not limited by vacation time.

(We live in a cold area so part of that thinking is escaping the winter)

How incredibly blessed you are to have extended family vacations for as long as you have!! I love WDW with my heart and soul and know it's because my father did too and gave us the luxury of going. Although my younger sister had the benefit of more "free" WDW vacations than I, the foundation was set in place. I hope your family can appreciate and enjoy these times together for a very, very long time
Thank you. When we let our adult kids and adult grand children know that we are planning a family vacation every one of them gets together with each other, figures the best time they can all get away between work and school and when we can get the rooms, once planned they count down the days until we are leaving. My wife helps booking all the plane reservations, cars if we need them and of course all the special events for all. Even though we all live a few minutes away from each other and frequently get together for family dinners, partys etc… it a special time when we are on vacation together.

Any thought regarding DVC vs renting a home in the Orlando area? We are not at retirement but kind of thought we would transition towards a 1-3 month rental instead of staying on property when we were not limited by vacation time.

(We live in a cold area so part of that thinking is escaping the winter)
I think that would take alot of investigating to see which would be best for your lifestyle. When we go to WDW we of course stay at a Disney Resort. (Something to say about staying at a Disney Resort) we fly into Orlando airport and really don’t need a car while we are at the resort. Uber, car service or Mears much less than renting a car that will just be parked in the parking lot. All the transportation is provided. DVC members do not pay for parking when we stay. I would look at the cost of renting a place in Orlando, the fact that you will need to drive anywhere you go etc vs purchasing enought DVC points to be able to be there for as long as you want. Factor in the cost of the annual dues and the cost of the contract. Once the contract is paid off all you would have is annual dues and that could amount to about two or three days the cost of renting the room at a Disney Resort and all the rest of the days are taken care of. Its really an investment in your future vacations. You can also take advantage of the beach at Disneys Vero Beach Resort, Disneys Hilton Head Island Resort, Disneyland in California etc. You can purchase membership on the secondary market (some perks are not carried over to the buyer) or straight from disney. Once your contract is paid for you will not have to worry about paying $$$$$ for vacations again. hope this helps alittle.

Thank you. When we let our adult kids and adult grand children know that we are planning a family vacation every one of them gets together with each other, figures the best time they can all get away between work and school and when we can get the rooms, once planned they count down the days until we are leaving. My wife helps booking all the plane reservations, cars if we need them and of course all the special events for all. Even though we all live a few minutes away from each other and frequently get together for family dinners, partys etc… it a special time when we are on vacation together.
For some, planning is half the fun. Having just retired a year ago and doing our first large family trip, our Disney dreams are in parallel. As mentioned earlier, the thought of doing a 3 month Air BnB to get away from upstate NY winters is on my radar as well. This though wouldn't replace any of the Disney addiction as the thought was to try different parts of the country each winter. Just another wrinkle in retirement planning. You touched on one of the difficulties of being retired when your family is not and that is time management. I have grandchildren with only 1 child and one daughter will eventually have children. The other daughter on the deed will never have kids so trying to coordinate schedules outside of major holidays is like herding cats.
But this all boils down to spending their inheritance while you can experience the joy it brings. At least that's what my kids tell me.:jester:

Congratulations on your retirement! What a heart touching experience you all have enjoyed at Disney. I stayed at Disney resorts with my son for just an overnight when I was a single mom 2-3 times a year (we are just a 3 hour drive away). We packed a cooler for most of our food, would splurge on one treat and maybe a meal, and being a FL resident, enjoyed 3-5 day tickets we could split up and use over 6 months to a year. I always dreamed about being a DVC owner but, could never swing it! Well now, I’m remarried to my own Prince Charming and we just bought a small resale so we can take all of our kids for a few days per year. The activities, pixie dust, service and unique theming/artwork brings us SO much joy and excitement! We look forward to making new memories with our combined families!

Congratulations on your retirement! What a heart touching experience you all have enjoyed at Disney. I stayed at Disney resorts with my son for just an overnight when I was a single mom 2-3 times a year (we are just a 3 hour drive away). We packed a cooler for most of our food, would splurge on one treat and maybe a meal, and being a FL resident, enjoyed 3-5 day tickets we could split up and use over 6 months to a year. I always dreamed about being a DVC owner but, could never swing it! Well now, I’m remarried to my own Prince Charming and we just bought a small resale so we can take all of our kids for a few days per year. The activities, pixie dust, service and unique theming/artwork brings us SO much joy and excitement! We look forward to making new memories with our combined families!
Thanks I laugh when friends would tell me that I will be bored. Not happening. I feel there is not enough hours in a day, I don’t know how I fit in work. Congratulations on your DVC purchase and the many future memories you will have. Take lots of pictures…

Congratulations on your retirement! I love this post, it made me tear up. I remember going to Disneyland at 2 years old with my parents and grandparents, and then taking my children with their grandparents. There is nothing like the magic of Disney, and seeing your child’s face light up as you walk down Main Street!

I wish we had had the foresight to purchase DVC early on. We were invited to many timeshare presentations, but for some reason always passed. It is very different staying at Disney Resorts when your parents and grandparents aren’t paying for it!! We have so many happy memories there and are just getting started with our first DVC purchase.

Enjoy your retirement and I hope you update us with your DVC strategy!

Congratulations on your retirement! I love this post, it made me tear up. I remember going to Disneyland at 2 years old with my parents and grandparents, and then taking my children with their grandparents. There is nothing like the magic of Disney, and seeing your child’s face light up as you walk down Main Street!

I wish we had had the foresight to purchase DVC early on. We were invited to many timeshare presentations, but for some reason always passed. It is very different staying at Disney Resorts when your parents and grandparents aren’t paying for it!! We have so many happy memories there and are just getting started with our first DVC purchase.

Enjoy your retirement and I hope you update us with your DVC strategy!
Thank-you. You won’t regret your purchase.

Our story is similar to yours. Been a member almost since the beginning.

I remember taking our DD to Mickey's birthday celebration when she was about 3-4 (1987?). The joy on her face when she met "the real Mickey" was worth everything. Four years ago we took her DD to WDW as part of extended family trip. When Mickey hugged her, she looked around, smiled coyly and said "Daddy, Mickey hugged me!"

I probably won't be around to see it but I hope someday DGD introduces her DD to Mickey!

We sold our contact at a resort that we just didn’t like (we have others) and put that money towards purchasing Riviera. We liked the late expiration date, as it will be part of the kids inheritance . Having all our names on the deeds helps with the estate issues. Yes it is pointy, but the studios are really nice.
what a great post to read. Sounds like a nice family to be a part of. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

This is really beautiful! I hope you find the right resort for your family in the years ahead. You know one of my favorite parts to Disney is the sentimental pull. I still “see” my Grandfather when I walk by the carousel. It is a gift. My Mother is still with me and I know those memories are there as well. Sigh. Damn I started happy tears just posting this. Thank you.

We sold our contact at a resort that we just didn’t like (we have others) and put that money towards purchasing Riviera. We liked the late expiration date, as it will be part of the kids inheritance . Having all our names on the deeds helps with the estate issues. Yes it is pointy, but the studios are really nice.
what a great post to read. Sounds like a nice family to be a part of. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Thank you. We have stayed at the Riveria and it is really nice.

This is really beautiful! I hope you find the right resort for your family in the years ahead. You know one of my favorite parts to Disney is the sentimental pull. I still “see” my Grandfather when I walk by the carousel. It is a gift. My Mother is still with me and I know those memories are there as well. Sigh. Damn I started happy tears just posting this. Thank you.
I think its so great that we have such a positive place to remind us of those we love.

Enjoy your retirement. We have been retired for a year and love the freedom.

Lucky the family enjoys Disney. Out of our 3 kids only the oldest likes Disney but her DH would rather go camping and hunting. He finds the expense of Disney off-putting even when his only spending is minor. Our other two don't care for the parks = too crowded. So we're in the reverse situation of enjoying our resort that ends in '42 and wondering what to do with the others. LOL

Enjoy your retirement. We have been retired for a year and love the freedom.

Lucky the family enjoys Disney. Out of our 3 kids only the oldest likes Disney but her DH would rather go camping and hunting. He finds the expense of Disney off-putting even when his only spending is minor. Our other two don't care for the parks = too crowded. So we're in the reverse situation of enjoying our resort that ends in '42 and wondering what to do with the others. LOL
Totally agree about the crowds. We love to make it more of us being away together and not so much about the parks. We all have breakfast together then maybe a few hours in the pool and hot tub then a walk around Disney Springs find a nice place for lunch and then we head over to a park. Visit a few attractions, laugh and take a lot of pictures, go to dinner, watch the fireworks and head back to our room and spend the time talking about the day over a glass of wine. We try to keep it relaxed. They also have time to do what they want on their own. We know what we don’t get to this time we can do the next time. Enjoy your retirement and use some points for just the two of you too.

As you get older, you start to think things differently. I retired in April and my wife will retire some time next year. We have been DVC owners for many years and our family has enjoyed the many,many, many trips we have taken and all the fun and memories we have made over the years. Our kids, our Grandson, our step Grandkids (along with extended family members) and now our Great Grandson who is 23 months have all been introduced to Disney. It was time for us to rethink the points we have and also take into consideration the year they expire.

One of my wife’s favorite things is to have a family vacation where everyone is together. This means everything to her. We have one every year, either at Disney World, Hawaii in a Grand Villa (and we have had our share of some awesome Grand Villas) or a large beach house in southern California or New Jersey where we are from, or even a large mountain home in the winter for sking.

Now as retirement comes into play points mean everything. As retirees we will be able to get away anytime we choose, so we need points for that and still wanting to take the whole clan on a fun family vacation to Disney.

Selling a large amount of points at Boardwalk which expires in 2042 (who knew that its right around the corner) and getting points in a resort that will go much further makes sense to us now. Old Key West has the cheapest Grand Villas and could be used for the family vacation every so many years. Our thoughts are on some other contracts that don’t expire until 2057 or later. While my wife and I know we will most likely not be around at that time, our great grandchilden will. We would like them to experience the joy past generations of their family have had.

Looking back many years ago when we purchased our first DVC contract, it was alot of money for what people called a time share. We were concerned whether we were doing the right thing. Well now years, and a few DVC contracts later we know we would never have been able to do the things we’ve done if not for those purchases. This was one of the best investments ever.

While we love the Boardwalk, it makes much more sense for us to be able to purchase more points at a resort that not only uses less points but also expires in a much later year. We do own Animal Kingdom and that expires 2057.

At the age of 18 months, we treated our Great Grandson along with his parents to a 4 day trip in Disneyland (4 hour drive) and he still talks about meeting Mickey and Donald Duck. Can’t put a price on that. So we now have a 4 day trip back to Disneyland in September for his 2nd birthday party.

What’s so special is enjoying the fun and excitement we experience watching the smiles on our kids faces. Same for our grandsons face and now not only do we get to see the joy in our Great Grandson’s face, but we get to see the excitement in his father’s face when he sees his son enjoying the things he had when he was a kid. Nothing better than that!

We took our Grandson to Disney World so many times that one time when he was about 9 years old we said to him “guess where we are going” he said “where?” We said “we’re going to Disney World” his response was “AGAIN?” We still laugh about that.

Changes happen, whether its just the way life goes or ones you make. Disney is not the same as it was 20 years ago. But neither is this world. Those at retirement age can attest to that.

There have been many changes in the parks some good and some not so…but it is still the Happiest Place On Earth when you look thru the eyes of your loved ones. Keeping the investment that we had made many years ago going for as long as we can is important to us. So in closing, here’s to many more years to come as we plan our next chapter of Disney experiences. Enjoy the times you have, it goes quicker than you think. My wife and I were in our 20’s yesterday, we just have to stop blinking. Thanks for reading.
Congratulations! My situation is similar in many respects in that we are from New Jersey, my wife just retired and I plan to in the next year so. One big difference is that we just became DVC members (CCV) this year but we plan to use our DVC membership to build some great memories for my kids and grand children. Our first big family trip is coming up in January and I'm really looking forward to "watching the smiles on the kids faces" as you enjoyed over the years.

My wife and I originally had some second thoughts about buying into DVC in our mid-60s but those thoughts have vanished. Your post and remembrances just reinforced our decision.

ENJOY!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!