Restaurants that surprised you.

Also CRT for me. For years I didn't even think about booking it because I had consistently heard such negative things. Then a couple years ago it popped up with availability in a time window I was looking for and I thought "why not". I enjoyed the meal and the experience. Last trip I did it with a group of gals and we had even more fun.

Chefs de France. I needed something to eat and I didn't know what to expect when I got a last minute ADR. So good!

Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom. It's a chain and I couldn't get a reservation somewhere else, so I went here expecting nothing. I enjoyed my meal and the theme. If I can't get in somewhere else again, I wouldn't mine eating here again.

Trattoria al Forno Bon Voyage Breakfast. I didn't know about this place before I got the reservation and I really enjoyed it. I love Ariel, Eric, Rapunzel and Flynn Rider, so that certainly helped. I also like ordering breakfast off a menu much more than the standard buffet.

Hollywood & Vine - Breakfast. I wasn't expecting much, but I wanted breakfast before rope drop. It was just a peculiar experience for me. I didn't know that it was a Disney Jr. Character Breakfast (I was expecting Mickey and Minnie) and I don't know any of the characters. I also happened to be the first family of the day, so I have a really odd picture of me with a bunch of characters I don't know. I didn't care for the meal and the bathroom was almost completely dark when I went in to wash my hands. I don't think I'll be back.

San Angel Inn based on DISUnplugged reviews.
We enjoyed the food and the atmosphere was just so neat.

Biergarten. Thought it would just be so much fun and sitting next to people would be fine. My kids didn't get into the music. The people we were sat next to didn't acknowledge our existence whatsoever (and it was a late lunch and we were a family of 5, so it seems like we could have been sat alone or not with 3 adults at least). The food was pretty blah.

1900 PF Dinner. Everyone said the characters are great, but the food was bad. The food was one of the best lunch/dinner buffets we've had a WDW. Sometimes I think we also have to consider older reviews. I think that was the case with 1900 PF dinner.

Cape May Cafe dinner. It was a Red Lobster buffet in a weirdly laid out space. I mean it was edible, but not worth the price or time it took (we had transportation issues there)

Last edited:
San Angel Inn based on DISUnplugged reviews.
I'm glad to hear this. We've never eaten there because of the reviews but every time we ride Gran Fiesta my DH mentions how much he would love to eat there. I booked an ADR thinking I'll just suck it up but maybe it won't be as bad as we've been led to believe :)

Skippers Canteen, Satuli Canteen, and visiting CRT the second time with all the menu changes. Pecos Bill also somewhat surprised me.

Kona was awful. As recently as this week I heard on DISUnplugged the raving about no matter what meal the place was in their top 5. I count it my worst meal on property. Worse than Hollywood & Vine.

What a great topic! We were staying at the BWV last year and went to Trattoria al Forno mostly based on convenience. But we really enjoyed the food. Then again it could have been because it was our first night there and we were thrilled to be in the happiest place on Earth!

In the past we were surprised by Biergarten and LTT (along with Trex and Ohana) both now must does for our family.

Have several new to us places booked for Sept hoping to be wowed by Homecoming, Rose and Crown, Spice Table, Jiko.

Hoping some old favortes we are returning to like Cape May, Le Cellier, Via Napoli and CG stay stellar for us

T-Rex - we ate there because we had Landry's points to use up. So many of the reviews say the food is like Applebees and don't bother going if you aren't dinosaur crazy. We really liked the food and the atmosphere was just an added bonus.

I'm glad to hear this. We've never eaten there because of the reviews but every time we ride Gran Fiesta my DH mentions how much he would love to eat there. I booked an ADR thinking I'll just suck it up but maybe it won't be as bad as we've been led to believe :)
To be fair, we did stick with lunch. I got the shrimp cocktail type appetizer and tostadas de tinga (the tostadas usually get okay reviews), DH and older son got steak tacos, younger kids got chicken fingers and rice and green beans (they do eat Mexican food but I didn't push them on vacation). Everyone ate their food and liked it. Granted, it was expensive but a cool place to eat.

We did this exact same thing - always wanted to try because the atmosphere is so cool. Unfortunately, we were very disappointed in the food and service in Dec 2017. The drinks were great though. I hope your experience is good! Just goes to show how subjective dining is and how one person's worst meal/restaurant can be someone else's favorite.

Pleasant surprises for us (not based on reviews but on way better than expected food/service/ambience) -

Splitsville in DS (Blown away by the options available and the quality. Bowling alley sushi ?!? Yes please!). Trattoria al Forno on the BW, (Hidden gem. Must stop when staying at BCV.). Olivia's at OKW (Another hidden gem.).

Disappointments (for same reasons) -

BOG Dinner at MK (Just meh for the price and hype). Le Cellier at Epcot - (gone way down. If I want a steak, going to Yachtsman, Shula's, Jiko instead).

We ate at Yak and Yeti last trip on a whim, we were hungry and needed a break in AK. My husband had the burger, it was HUGE and delicious.

Also a few trips ago we ate at Mamma Melrose in HS. We are Italian and from NYC and loved it!

Satu' li Canteen. So much better than I expected for a QS restaurant. Eaten there 3 times and not a bad meal.
Peco Bills another nice surprise. The food had good flavor and you have to love the toppings bar. So many options on it.

Restaurant Marrakesh. We were just looking for someplace different that we've never been to. The meal was different, but good. I asked a lot of questions about Morocco because I really knew nothing about it.

Good surprise:
Splitsville
San Angel Inn
Olivia's
Nomad Lounge

Bad surprise:
Casey's
Turf Club
Mama Melrose's (on recent trip, used to be a favorite)
Toyko Dining (after menu change)

Pleasant surprises for us (not based on reviews but on way better than expected food/service/ambience) -

Splitsville in DS (Blown away by the options available and the quality. Bowling alley sushi ?!? Yes please!).

I agree - the sushi (and all the other food!) at Splitsville is top notch - some of the best we have had!!

I will add Nine Dragons and Trail's End to this. We love them, and since they are not well-known-ish?, they are typically quieter than anywhere else. The food is fantastic, though!

Bad Surprise:
Columbia Harbor House gets a lot of love on here and by DFB. The photos all looked good, but the shrimp Mac n Cheese was microwave mac n cheese with two cocktail shrimp on top.

Good Surprise:
I was surprised by Homecomin'. Yes, it's gotten nothing but good reviews, but whenever someone builds up "the best fried chicken ever", I grow spectacle. I tried to go in with lower expectations and everything - the food to the service, blew my expectations

Chef Mickey's breakfast - it's gotten better. PLeasant surprise how good the food and experience was.

Polite Pig - can't believe how much food you get here - and how good it is!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter