Resort Regret

bean bunny

Mouseketeer
We have stayed several times at the YC and had a GREAT time. We are taking a trip in just 8 days to celebrate my graduation from college. This time we thought it might be fun to switch things up a bit and booked the Contemporary. Of course this week I started thinking about all of the things I'll miss at the YC and tried to change the reservation but unfortunately it's completely booked. So tell me your great stories of trying a new resort and loving it. :) We do have a theme park view in the tower and I'm sure it's going to be lovely - not sure why we suddenly feel regret for not booking what we think of as our "home" resort.

Well...it may not be on the deluxe level...but I was really nervous about staying at Pop Century last September after only having stayed at moderates. I was worried it would be really cheap feeling, loud, etc. I couldn't have been more wrong. I think the key is to experience the resort as something new and exciting as opposed to comparing it constantly to what you have seen (and loved) before. Just enjoy it for what it is, you know? I think a MK view at CR is going to be AMAZING!! Save the comparing for when the trip is over, live in the moment while you are there, and I'm sure you will have a fabulous time!

First of all keep calling, a couple of times a day to try and get to the YC....

However...... This will not be your last trip to Disney World... Right? So think of it this way... you are being adventurous and trying new things. You are sure to find things that you absolutely LOVE at the Contemporary and this will be such a great experience for you. I think the problem is that you have such a frame of reference with the YC and you have zero experience with the Contemporary.

If it doesn't work out and you do wind up at the Contemporary, let the YC go for this trip and dive in to your experience at the Contemporary! I'm sure when you get back you will have a list of things that you loved about the "New" place!

Have a great time and CONGRATULATIONS on your graduation from College! :teacher:

Marlton Mom

Honestly, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Contemporary and think you will too. I've only stayed there with a theme park view, which is magical and amazing. Sitting out on your balcony early in the morning watching the park come to life, or late at night watching it wind down is one of my favorite things to do. It's great that everything is contained in one building, just an elevator ride down will get you to the stores, food, amusement and even transportation!

The first time I stayed at AKL I was worried because I had stayed at CR so many times that I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else. The resort was beautiful, the savannah view was amazing and the atmosphere at this resort is serene and relaxing. I love everything about AKL except the time it takes to get to/from the parks and the distance you have to walk to the rooms.

It's good to try different things, I really think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Have a great time and congratulations on graduating! :)

I've been there. I was really worried about it. The trip ended up being wonderful. Just remember the reasons why you decided on the change in the first place. I'm sure your vacation will be wonderful, and as a previous poster indicated, you will likely vacation at Disney again. Maybe you'll find out that you really do prefer the Yacht Club, but you'll never find that out if you don't try something else.

Theme Park view in the Tower will more than likely be fabulous, and your next trip will probably have a MORE difficult decision, since you'll have to decide between the two wonderful places.

I'm a tad nervous about switching to the AKL this year for a couple of nights, but just knowing I'm at Disney I know we'll have a great time. I wouldn't worry about it.

And, most importantly, HAPPY GRADUATION (my baby graduates college in two weeks).

You're graduating from college.

This is prime time for branching out, trying new things, and exploring options.

I'm sure you'll love it!

And Congrats on your upcoming graduation!

First I want to say I am sure you will enjoy the Contemporary because it's great having the Resort Monorail access and walkway to the Magic Kingdom. Plus all their Tower rooms come with a huge balcony and it's great for watching Wishes.

Now as for your question in August 2010 after my family and I had stayed at the Contemporary before we had left for WDW we decided to extend our vacation and stay Club Level at the Boardwalk Inn. Well I have to say it was better then we could have thought. Their Club Level Cast Members were among the best we ever had, the atmosphere was great and we liked it so much that we only stayed there in December 2010 and our will be staying there for a third time in August 2011.

I have absolutely had that same feeling before, pre-trip resort choice regret, but I am happy to report that each trip has still been outstanding.

We usually stay at YC/BC, but have loved an occasional trip to the Contemporary. Being able to walk to MK is so wonderful -- particularly after a late night, or when the crowds are rushing to the bus or monorail. I love to get up on the early side, grab some coffee and walk around the grounds. It is fantastic to watch all of the activity around the CR area. The soudns and smells are different than Epcot area. Just amazing and thrilling.

We have stayed MK view in the tower, and loved sitting on the balcony watching the monorails, seeing the puff of steam go around with the WDWRR, seeing the lights at night on the Poly and GF. :thumbsup2

It also opens up things you might not otherwise do: have a driik or apps at the Wave lounge, check at the 2nd floor California Grill desk if you can pop up to the California Grill for a drink and catch the view (almost always, yes!), spend the best $20 of fun you can have at the arcade, watch the water pageant from the dock.

I've found switching it up can make the unique details of each resort more awesome.

Have a great trip!! :)

We are also leaving in 8 days. We are booked at the BC and I am really nervous about that one. I figure it's too late to change at this point. We have never stayed deluxe before so it's all new to us. The CR sounds amazing. We have BLT booked for October. Hmmmmm we could switch ressies. :rotfl:

congrats on the graduation. We to are going in May. Last week. I will be turning 50 3 days before. DD is celebrating her sweet 16 2 days before we leave, and DS22 will be graduating college the day before. We to are trying a new place. We usually stay at OKW. I love the laid back feel the light colors and airiness and of course the huge rooms. DH wanted to try something different. So this time it is the AKV. I am so afraid we will not like it. Darker decor. Out of the way. Smaller rooms etc. But I am still excited to go because I love disney so much and I know I will have fun.

I stayed at the CR last Sept in a Bay Lake room and absolutely LOVED it!! I watched the Electrical Water Pageant each night from the balcony. Sammy Duvall's Watersports is located there and they have a wonderful personal watercraft tour of the Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon plus parasailing and other things.

Don't forget about the monorail either--it sure beats the buses. And when you ride it back to the resort, you're inside and not far from your room.

The rooms are nice and large, and if you get a higher floor, you should have a wonderful view.

Enjoy! It's a great place to stay.

I never, ever wanted to stay at CSR. I just knew I would hate it because it is the convention hotel. I was a CBR, AB or AKL gal. Then I decided to do a last minute trip and the only mod at a good rate was CSR. I took
it and fell in love with it!!! I've stayed there twice this year already and it's a must for my solo and adult trips.

Congrats on your graduation!! :cheer2:

We tried CSR two trips ago and really loved it! We didn't have any specific regret going in initially, but there is always that nervousness about trying something unknown. We are DVC members now, so I'm not sure that we'll have a chance to make it back. But, it was a GREAT resort!

My advice it to try and go into this trip NOT expecting it to be like a YC trip, if that makes sense. Go in expecting a totally different experience. If you don't end up liking CR, at least you'll know. I would love the proximity to MK and the monorails! The resorts all have their own pros and cons, and you might find that you really like it.

Enjoy your trip and do keep us posted as to how things ended up!

We have stayed several times at the YC and had a GREAT time. We are taking a trip in just 8 days to celebrate my graduation from college. This time we thought it might be fun to switch things up a bit and booked the Contemporary. Of course this week I started thinking about all of the things I'll miss at the YC and tried to change the reservation but unfortunately it's completely booked. So tell me your great stories of trying a new resort and loving it. :) We do have a theme park view in the tower and I'm sure it's going to be lovely - not sure why we suddenly feel regret for not booking what we think of as our "home" resort.

Oh, I'm so glad you didn't change it! My husband and I stayed at the Contemporary with a theme park view and we enjoyed it so much. We watched the fireworks from our balcony and also the Water Pageant Parade. It was so wonderful to not have to deal with the crowds to see them AND we could even see Tinkerbell from our balcony. Please don't regret making this decision. You will love it!

I've stayed at both, and they're both nice in their own ways. CR MK view -- that's a class all by itself, and you'll love it! No need to regret.

And if you really miss WL, you can always zip out the back to the boat dock and chug on over to Artists Point or Whispering Canyon Cafe for a meal or two...

One of our favorite things to do is try out the different resorts. However, when we were there this past September we stayed at the CR (stayed in the tower overlooking Bay Lake), at first I wasn't crazy with the idea because we were originally booked at POFQ (one of my favorite resorts), but my DH called to check to see if there was any availability at the CR (he had been wanting to stay there since he was a kid), and of course there was. And to tell you the truth, I am glad that we stayed there. It was so easy and convenient to stay at a monorail resort and also we had a wonderful little walk over to MK and back, especially at night when everyone was waiting in line for the buses and the monorail. We liked it so much that we took the plunge and bought into DVC, and our home resort is BLT :goodvibes. Have a wonderful trip....you will love CR, especially the room view that you have :thumbsup2

Personally I think it's boring going to the same resort every year.

But here's some pixie dust to get you a great time ... pixiedust:

Thank you first for all the congratulations!! I'm a "non traditional student" and so glad to have finally crossed this off of my life to do list!!

Thank you also for your wonderful advice. I love the idea of not comparing it to the YC until the trip is over - that is something I hadn't even thought of and we are definitely people who would have done that throughout the trip.

Your stories about this resort and the view were so exciting! I can't believe we'll be there so soon seeing the fireworks from our balcony. Thanks again everyone!

I don't have any resort regret or advice, just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR GRADUATION!!! Hope you have a wonderful trip, you deserve it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter