Resale vs Direct (Again!)

I too have purchased both direct and resale and see benefits to both. i do like having some direct points so i can for example use the disney collection for a couple of nights in California if i really can't get into VCG but we are also happy wiuth the prices we paid for our resale points. Thats said when we bought VGC resale points the prices resale were so close to Disney's prices we would have bought direct had they any points to sell me.

However, whether you believe in direct buying or don't or are happy to live and let live I think the guide you spoke to was highly out of order. It is high time disney got rid of the second hand car salemen guides and installed some integrity into sales. In an environment where they can raise prices to 130-165 per point and still have waiting lists any salesperson worthy of the title should be able to sell his points without underhand tactics.

Don't ever second guess yourself on this, you are doing the right thing. There are multiple factors that lead to the market sustaining such a wide gap between direct and resale prices. But I believe the biggest inefficiency is lack of information. For those who were fully aware of the resale market but chose to purchase direct, that doesn't apply. But from what I understand, that is a relatively small proportion of the people who buy direct from DVC. If people were fully aware of both purchasing markets, the gap would narrow significantly (but not entirely, because there are tangible benefits to buying direct). This would result in some type of market correction involving Disney lowering prices, resale prices increasing, Disney adding value to their offering, and/or Disney slashing value to resales without diminishing direct value. This last one is often mentioned here but is a tricky proposition, and the only one of these that further perpetuates market inefficiencies.

If you were to withhold information and steer people toward direct purchases, what you would be effectively doing is getting them to finance benefits for yourself by overpaying. There is nothing noble in that. You should be commended for shedding light on the situation and providing information so people can make informed decisions. Don't ever doubt yourself on that.
Clearly I agree but it's not that simple. I make every effort to address the issues and not a person on such matters and to ONLY address the issue where it's applicable. Even then some are offended simply by someone writing the opinion, esp some of those that bought retail. IMO context is very important in this and similar matters. It would be inappropriate to stand outside the DVC sales office and accost buyers as they came out the door or to walk up to a sales booth and volunteer a lot of negative information. IMO DVD has a right to attempt to sell their product as do other timeshares, car dealers, even a watch vendor on the street. They just need to do so legally. I look at it somewhat like a lawyer recommending bankruptcy, even when legal it can be unethical.

Here's another example, say there are loopholes and methods of doing things that are not intended but are legal and within the rules (walking for example, dropping days as another), the more it gets talked about and posted the more likely it is to be removed or changed. I know for a fact that certain timeshares have made changes negative to such issues being discussed on specific BBS or email lists. Should we therefore not discuss them for our own benefit realizing if they go away, we all lose? I know of discussion groups that have a don't ask/don't tell policy on such mattes.

I find it interesting that DVC salespeople need to be so overly aggressive. We did not know about the resale market (perfect 'victims' :) )

I wonder how many people fall into our 'naivety' camp and thus the tactics just look like over exuberant selling. It actually made us step back and wait a year before purchasing but unfortunately, in that year, we did not do any 'homework' and continued to be naive about the resale market upon our direct purchase.

Lessons learned.
If you find DVC sales staff aggressive, you'd better never to to a sales presentation for another company. Even with the product they have to sell I'm surprised they've been successful with their lack of aggressiveness. I know some see this as positive but it has had real costs for the membership including at least 3 off property locations (CO, CA & NY) and possibly at least HI from years ago.

Clearly I agree but it's not that simple. I make every effort to address the issues and not a person on such matters and to ONLY address the issue where it's applicable. Even then some are offended simply by someone writing the opinion, esp some of those that bought retail. IMO context is very important in this and similar matters. It would be inappropriate to stand outside the DVC sales office and accost buyers as they came out the door or to walk up to a sales booth and volunteer a lot of negative information.

HA! Yes, I agree, there are limits to what is appropriate. Message board advice seems well within the safe range.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter