Resale eligibility for DVC member cruise?

*pixie*

DIS Veteran
We purchased our first resale contract in 2014 and had a blue card, and now our digital card has the DVC Y. Are we eligible to book the DVC member cruise?

The points are not valid for use but since you are eligible for membership extras I think that makes you eligible.

My experience is that our resale (post April 2011 but pre-white card blue card (DVC Y)) did not allow us to take advantage of the Disney cruise things for DVC members including booking the wish a day earlier than silver. So I would assume no just based on what I have been told.

From the DVC Resource Center -------- Post # 10:

March 21, 2011 Restrictions for Resale Purchases
Beginning on March 21, 2011, DVC made some changes to the way purchasers were treated after becoming members by purchasing a contract via the resale market. Those purchasing since March, 2011 were still DVC members and received all perks and benefits as all other members. However, they were not allowed to use their points for the Disney, Concierge and Adventure Collection travel options which included using DVC Points for non-DVC options like a Disney Cruise, staying at non-DVC Disney resorts.

Resale members could still use the World Passport Collection to exchange to other timeshare resorts and still had full access to all DVC Resorts based on availability.

Well, darn! I knew I couldn’t use points to book, but was hoping I could book with cash!

Seems like there is a lot of conflicting information out there. Because I wouldn’t be using points and it’s considered a membership extra, I think I might be eligible. I think I will go ahead and try to book, worst case I sit on hold for hours and they tell me no, lol.

Seems like there is a lot of conflicting information out there. Because I wouldn’t be using points and it’s considered a membership extra, I think I might be eligible. I think I will go ahead and try to book, worst case I sit on hold for hours and they tell me no, lol.

My understanding is that if you don't have eligible points, but do have a blue card, you can book all with cash. However, I thought I remember reading that one person may need to be cash, but that could be for something different.

I agree...all you can do is call. I might call before it actually opens for booking and talk to the DVC cruise people...they might be able to let you know for sure so you don't wait on hold long that day only to find out you can't pay for everyone in cash.

Certain cruises they have required someone to be on points. But not all cruises. Literally case by case.

My understanding is that if you don't have eligible points, but do have a blue card, you can book all with cash. However, I thought I remember reading that one person may need to be cash, but that could be for something different.

I agree...all you can do is call. I might call before it actually opens for booking and talk to the DVC cruise people...they might be able to let you know for sure so you don't wait on hold long that day only to find out you can't pay for everyone in cash.
That might have been Galactic Starcruiser. There was something convoluted like that when you could book with DVC points.

This is from the DVC Member website for the cruise, under Know Before You Book:
  • Due to the unique nature of this special event, Disney Vacation Club has waived the policy of requiring at least one passenger to sail using Reservation Points. If Members would like to pay by using both cash and Reservation Points, individual passengers must be paid for by using all cash or all Reservation Points.

So to me, it appears you have a reasonable chance to book, since you don't have to use any points at all. Good luck!

Since your resale purchase blocks you from the Disney Collection, you can't book the Member Cruise even if you wanted to pay all cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter