Requesting time off

Disneygirl86

Earning My Ears
Hello!

I checked into the CP on the 18th and it has been a blast!! I did have a question about requesting time off though.

My family is planning to visit a couple of times and I'd like to be off while they visit. I know you can request time off on the hub, but should I wait till a little closer to the time they're visiting? go ahead and request soon even though I've just started working (well training) so they can plan and I'd be more likely to have time off? Should I wait to request time off when I'm actually working and not training? I also don't mind if they have my days off to be during that time, do I have to specify that or will they work that out? Should I request for the whole time my family's visiting or just a couple of days? I'd like to spend several days with them while they're visiting (kinda take a mini vacation myself). I don't mind working a day or two while they're visiting though.

Thanks for any info, tips, advice, you can give me!

Hello!

I checked into the CP on the 18th and it has been a blast!! I did have a question about requesting time off though.

My family is planning to visit a couple of times and I'd like to be off while they visit. I know you can request time off on the hub, but should I wait till a little closer to the time they're visiting? go ahead and request soon even though I've just started working (well training) so they can plan and I'd be more likely to have time off? Should I wait to request time off when I'm actually working and not training? I also don't mind if they have my days off to be during that time, do I have to specify that or will they work that out? Should I request for the whole time my family's visiting or just a couple of days? I'd like to spend several days with them while they're visiting (kinda take a mini vacation myself). I don't mind working a day or two while they're visiting though.

Thanks for any info, tips, advice, you can give me!

If you want the days off when they are there, request the days off ASAP. You have to request them at least 2 weeks in advance anyway, and the earlier you ask the better your chance of getting them.

Thanks for the info! Should I request them as Vacation? Personal Day off? Regular day off?

If we have to have a minimum of 30 hours how do we get more than just a couple of days off?

If I request just a couple and want to hang out longer can I give up my shift to someone else? Do I just post it somewhere?

Thanks for the info! Should I request them as Vacation? Personal Day off? Regular day off?

If we have to have a minimum of 30 hours how do we get more than just a couple of days off?

If I request just a couple and want to hang out longer can I give up my shift to someone else? Do I just post it somewhere?

You would request them as Regular Days Off.

Definitely request it ASAP. You will discover that you will usually have the same days off each week, so perhaps your family can plan on coming down around those days. I just want to point out that even if you request it off, you are not guaranteed to get it off. My request to have my birthday off was denied (but I got it off anyways - my schedule lady was nuts). I also was denied a day off for a doctor's appointment and he was only in that office on certain days. I ultimately had a manager allow me to leave because the appointment was related to my on the job injury. Make sure you are generous with helping people out with shifts they can't do so they'll be willing to switch with you when you need it.

Thanks Joanna and WhateverLolaWants!

Do I need to put anything under the "# benefit hours"? or just leave it as 0?

Definitely request it ASAP. You will discover that you will usually have the same days off each week, so perhaps your family can plan on coming down around those days. I just want to point out that even if you request it off, you are not guaranteed to get it off. My request to have my birthday off was denied (but I got it off anyways - my schedule lady was nuts). I also was denied a day off for a doctor's appointment and he was only in that office on certain days. I ultimately had a manager allow me to leave because the appointment was related to my on the job injury. Make sure you are generous with helping people out with shifts they can't do so they'll be willing to switch with you when you need it.

Actually, not all CPs get the same days off weekly. With exception to my last CP, 3 of my CPs had different days off each week.

Thanks Joanna and WhateverLolaWants!

Do I need to put anything under the "# benefit hours"? or just leave it as 0?

You leave it blank. CPs don't get benefit hours.

Make sure you are generous with helping people out with shifts they can't do so they'll be willing to switch with you when you need it.

I've never worked in a job where you have shifts (have only worked 9-5 type of jobs) so you have peaked my curiosity about how the whole shifts thing works. When you say you can switch with somebody else how does that work?

Say you are scheduled for Tuesday from 11am-6pm and your friend is scheduled on Wednesday from 1pm-8pm. You can just see if they will take your time slot and you take theirs? I am assuming you would also have to notify management about it... otherwise it they would think you just didn't show up right? And they are fine with switching?

Sorry for my ignorance but this concept is new to me. Explain please :)

I've never worked in a job where you have shifts (have only worked 9-5 type of jobs) so you have peaked my curiosity about how the whole shifts thing works. When you say you can switch with somebody else how does that work?

Say you are scheduled for Tuesday from 11am-6pm and your friend is scheduled on Wednesday from 1pm-8pm. You can just see if they will take your time slot and you take theirs? I am assuming you would also have to notify management about it... otherwise it they would think you just didn't show up right? And they are fine with switching?

Sorry for my ignorance but this concept is new to me. Explain please :)

You have to fill out a form to switch, and the managers need to ok the change.

Ahh gotcha. so its a little more complicated than simply "switching". That makes more sense then. Thanks

In additon, I don't know about WDW, but here at the DLR, you can't switch shifts in a way that would end up with a CM working overtime, working 6/7 days in a week, or working Doubleback (less than 8 hours between shifts, 9 hours for Foods CMs). You also can't switch shifts in a way that will cause Full Time CMs to work less than 30 hours a week.

Also, unlike WDW, you're not really supposed to give shifts away to other CMs (at WDW, you can do it through The Hub). However, during the Off Season, Cast Scheduling does tend to be quite leniant on it. In this case, though, you can't submit it through our version of Labor Service Center (i.e. online) and must use the Paper Forms available at the Cast Scheduling offices.

The rules are basically the same at WDW... They don't like overtime!

My days off were almost never the same and that was annoying beyond belief...haha...

Anyhow, if you want multiple days off while you have visitors, try to have them plan to come (i.e. if they're visiting for a week) mid-week to mid-week. That way you can request your 2 days off late in the first week and 2 days off early in the second. This works really well if they approve it and you may only work one day in between--depends on what you ask for.

When my father visited, we did this. The day I had to work, I wasn't scheduled until 2pm, so we just did DAK early that day and then he was there to ride on my safari. We also lucked out by winning dream fastpasses, so we were able to do all the major things together before I started :thumbsup2

Also, if they deny your request, don't be afraid to see if people are willing to switch shifts or take shifts when the schedule comes out. Remember that you have to work enough hours to cover your rent though... It's usually able to be worked out.

Another thing to think about is not having your family plan their trip until your request is approved...that way you know you will have time off...

Good luck! Hope this helps...

How far in advance do we receive our schedules? And how often do we get our days off back-to-back?

How far in advance do we receive our schedules? And how often do we get our days off back-to-back?

Schedules for most departments post on Sunday morning and that schedule is not for the coming week but for the week after. The week schedule is from sunday to satuday. And it really depends on your work area on how many times u get back to back days off, sometimes i had them and sometimes i didnt. But if u want days off u could always trade shifts with someone or request it off.

Usually the schedule comes out on Sunday (though for entertainment, it came out Sat evening). You would know your schedule for the current week, and the week after that.

It depends. When I was in merchandise, custodial, and first time around for character attendant, my days off were never the same (they varied). However, for my second time around for character attendant, I had the same 2 days off every week (and they just happened to be Fri/Sat!!).

I always had the same two days off Tuesday and Wednesday unless i requested something else. I only worked two tuesday my whole seven months and I picked up shifts on the hotline for those two times.

I requested off days when I first started working. I was denied.
I requested days off for other various reasons while working, and I was always denied.

I was even denied for the CP graduation. I reuqested off as soon as I found out about it, and they said it was too late for me to request that date. Luckily, I got to attend the graduation early and since I was scheduled later that day.

When my family came, I was able to give up 2 of my shifts to part timers who wants some hours. I just scribbled a note a posted it by my breakroom.
Oddly, the husband of one of the ladies who took a shift called me at like 1am telling me she had a heart attack and couldn't work. The shift change had already been approved so I didn't have to work.

As far as normal days off. For the most part, I had Monday off. 1 day off a week. Sometimes it was Wednesday, which sucked because that meant I was to work 8 days in a row.

If you watch your points closely, and you get denied for your days off, you can always just call in personal!

I think a lot of it depends on where you work and what your job is. I did the CP in Fall of 06 and worked Hospitality at the All-Star. I worked in luggage or DME 95% of the time. I never had the same 2 days off but I always had 2 days off. I also was able to give away pretty much any shift I wanted to and was granted a lot of time off as long as I requested it early. I remember one week I only worked 7 hours the entire week because my family was coming to town. I was able to get my normal 2 days off, gave away another 2 days to other CM's, and was able to ER as soon as I got to work 2 other days :) I very rarely worked more than 25 hours a week on my CP. I was there more for the experience rather than working all the time.
So.....it can be done.....just depends a lot on what your job is and if other CM's want your hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter